• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Couldn't get out this morning, but got an evening hunt. Jumped 2 deer on the way in at 3:30. At 5:15 had 3 groups converge on me....two spikes, one doe, and what I thought was two does. Ended up being 5 in that last group. Target buck nowhere in sight, i got down. I'll be out again tomorrow night, assuming my back is better! Pulled it this morning working on snow moving machines

Fredcohunter

Nov 30, 2008
    A little west of Frederick

Attachments

• 2FF099D5-02F8-4CF4-9B78-1562B3DF37A1.jpg
      2FF099D5-02F8-4CF4-9B78-1562B3DF37A1.jpg
      82.5 KB · Views: 258
    • 4447BC06-C31B-44DC-96B7-5B81661040E7.jpg
      4447BC06-C31B-44DC-96B7-5B81661040E7.jpg
      200.1 KB · Views: 253

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Here comes my dissertation.

I got a good sized WT doe about noon today. I’d moved my blind after finding a better spot after moving around some to get circulation back in my toes (despite the winter boots and two pairs of socks I needed either arctic boots, or chemical toe warmers). I found several fresh trails in the snow. So I went back, grabbed my blind and moved it 150yds. I’d just settled in for maybe 20, at most 30 minutes and I was feeling the strong pull of a sun warmed nap coming on when I spotted a deer in the corner of my eye. Not right where I expected. I saw one track in that part of the woods, but the 4 or 5 I’d seen were on a bit of a cut through the woods and this was parallel to it and I expected to see those deer headed back up the path coming from my left. Not new deer headed from my right headed the same general direction the deer early in the morning we’re headed.

The wind was blowing strong and right towards the deer. It was three, a fawn and a couple of yearlings or 2 1/2yr olds. They were fairly large, but not huge ladies. They were definitely spooked. Either from my blind, or my scent. They were headed to cross the ditch and then across the trail (my back trail), but stopped obscured by the trees before crossing and then doubled back. Not doing much holding still and when any of them did stop, they were behind trees. Finally as it seemed like they were about to take off, one of the big ones stepped clear of some trees and slowed down for a second. Took the shot and she leaped and bucked and they all ran right out of sight (and even though there were a lot of trees, they ran in to more open woods and I could tell they all ran 100+ yds out of sight.

Thank goodness for the snow! It would have taken hours to track her down. The entire area is undulating ground, so a deer can easily drop in a spot and you can’t see it from 20yds away. As it was, it took me 30 minutes to find her and I was toying with giving up. At least going back to the last blood spot and slowly searching in repeating arcs. She left a bit of a blood trail at first and then it was only rare droplets and then nothing and the deer tracks all split up in three separate directions at the last blood drop. That was after following them for about 200+yds through the woods.

Just as I was going to go back to the last blood droplet, I moved to the side and saw her in a depression hidden from view maybe 40, 50yds away. Turns out she was quartering towards me more than I had thought. I thought based on the little blood and the way she had run I’d hit too far forward from where I had aimed. Turns out I hit exactly where I had aimed, but she was quartering too far towards me. So it hit right over the leg/heart on the near side ripping apart one lung, then traveled back and took out half her liver and ruptured her rumen and carried part of her small intestine out the exit hole, plugging it. Which is why she didn’t bleed much, all the blood was collecting internal and the exit hole was plugged and the entrance hole was “too high” to leak much.

Fortunately her intestines didn’t rupture and despite the rumen damage she cleaned out nicely between the blood and the snow cleaning her out. I had a couple gallons of water back at my car I used to rinse her out even better. But she appeared pretty clean. So as it turns out I should have aimed a few inches further forward to get the double lung hit. Oh well, another “it ended well” and a lesson to try to assimilate. It did not help they were so skittish and not really holding still. It felt like “take the shot now, or they bolt” the way they were acting and moving. I’d had a couple shots through the trees also where I am pretty sure the deer was perfectly broadside, but all I could see is what I thought were the vitals, without much target through some 8-12” gaps. I don’t like shooting through small gaps when I can’t see the whole deer. Especially since they were about 40-60yds away. Not 20.

A great end to my hunting season.

Attachments

• DDE864F7-E429-4B7C-A6EE-7D6204AB7E51.jpg
      DDE864F7-E429-4B7C-A6EE-7D6204AB7E51.jpg
      150.8 KB · Views: 234

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Exit and entrance wounds. Exit wound was at the second to last rib and busted it and both ribs next to it.

I am continually surprised by just how much damage a deer can take and keep running.

Attachments

• BCB086D8-D33A-4CEF-AA37-F06AA857E91F.jpg
      BCB086D8-D33A-4CEF-AA37-F06AA857E91F.jpg
      130.6 KB · Views: 232
    • 970C9AE6-AD3C-41DD-BB93-37BB5BD41643.jpg
      970C9AE6-AD3C-41DD-BB93-37BB5BD41643.jpg
      137.2 KB · Views: 230

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

I got a good sized WT doe about noon today. I’d moved my blind after finding a better spot after moving around some to get circulation back in my toes (despite the winter boots and two pairs of socks I needed either arctic boots, or chemical toe warmers). I found several fresh trails in the snow. So I went back, grabbed my blind and moved it 150yds. I’d just settled in for maybe 20, at most 30 minutes and I was feeling the strong pull of a sun warmed nap coming on when I spotted a deer in the corner of my eye. Not right where I expected. I saw one track in that part of the woods, but the 4 or 5 I’d seen were on a bit of a cut through the woods and this was parallel to it and I expected to see those deer headed back up the path coming from my left. Not new deer headed from my right headed the same general direction the deer early in the morning we’re headed.

The wind was blowing strong and right towards the deer. It was three, a fawn and a couple of yearlings or 2 1/2yr olds. They were fairly large, but not huge ladies. They were definitely spooked. Either from my blind, or my scent. They were headed to cross the ditch and then across the trail (my back trail), but stopped obscured by the trees before crossing and then doubled back. Not doing much holding still and when any of them did stop, they were behind trees. Finally as it seemed like they were about to take off, one of the big ones stepped clear of some trees and slowed down for a second. Took the shot and she leaped and bucked and they all ran right out of sight (and even though there were a lot of trees, they ran in to more open woods and I could tell they all ran 100+ yds out of sight.

Thank goodness for the snow! It would have taken hours to track her down. The entire area is undulating ground, so a deer can easily drop in a spot and you can’t see it from 20yds away. As it was, it took me 30 minutes to find her and I was toying with giving up. At least going back to the last blood spot and slowly searching in repeating arcs. She left a bit of a blood trail at first and then it was only rare droplets and then nothing and the deer tracks all split up in three separate directions at the last blood drop. That was after following them for about 200+yds through the woods.

Just as I was going to go back to the last blood droplet, I moved to the side and saw her in a depression hidden from view maybe 40, 50yds away. Turns out she was quartering towards me more than I had thought. I thought based on the little blood and the way she had run I’d hit too far forward from where I had aimed. Turns out I hit exactly where I had aimed, but she was quartering too far towards me. So it hit right over the leg/heart on the near side ripping apart one lung, then traveled back and took out half her liver and ruptured her rumen and carried part of her small intestine out the exit hole, plugging it. Which is why she didn’t bleed much, all the blood was collecting internal and the exit hole was plugged and the entrance hole was “too high” to leak much.

Fortunately her intestines didn’t rupture and despite the rumen damage she cleaned out nicely between the blood and the snow cleaning her out. I had a couple gallons of water back at my car I used to rinse her out even better. But she appeared pretty clean. So as it turns out I should have aimed a few inches further forward to get the double lung hit. Oh well, another “it ended well” and a lesson to try to assimilate. It did not help they were so skittish and not really holding still. It felt like “take the shot now, or they bolt” the way they were acting and moving. I’d had a couple shots through the trees also where I am pretty sure the deer was perfectly broadside, but all I could see is what I thought were the vitals, without much target through some 8-12” gaps. I don’t like shooting through small gaps when I can’t see the whole deer. Especially since they were about 40-60yds away. Not 20.

Congrats laz! Freezer full!

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Cold sit paid off tonight. Old battle worn 8 point slipped up.

I got a good sized WT doe about noon today.

Very nice!

I was out this morning in the balmy 10 degree temps. No mammals to be seen. I did hear a tom gobbling a few times right after sunrise probably within 50 yards of my blind. Wasn't expecting that. Hope he's feeling as feisty two weeks from today.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Great job to all that tagged yesterday. The cold was bad but the wind really sucked. I didn’t see anything until a few minutes passed legal. Today is most likely the end of my deer season and heading into varmints. Got my first “firearm “ deer with a muzzle loader this year. I’ve always been bow only but when it’s this cold it’s hard to dress warm enough and use a bow. Good luck!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Great job to all that tagged yesterday. The cold was bad but the wind really sucked. I didn’t see anything until a few minutes passed legal. Today is most likely the end of my deer season and heading into varmints. Got my first “firearm “ deer with a muzzle loader this year. I’ve always been bow only but when it’s this cold it’s hard to dress warm enough and use a bow. Good luck!

In 6 seasons of hunting I’ve harvested 15 deer (not counting a disputed one this year). Of them 9 have been by crossbow. And the last 3 seasons have been 9 deer and 8 have been by crossbow as 8 of those 9 have been from my primary residence and it’s too small to use anything other than fast pointy sticks.

Gun or muzzleloading hunting is a really nice change of pace.

Good luck to all out today as well as anyone out late season archery or primitive hunting this year.

For me it’s a long winters rest organizing, cleaning my gear, putting it away and making some notes for next season of what I want to change up or new gear I need to try to get.

Also I need to get my ladder stand down some weekend the weather is a little warmer.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    Got a small doe yesterday hunting with Schrader's Outdoors down in Queen Annes County. I was in a blind, nice and warm in the cold temps and snow. Nice to get away to the Eastern Shore for a couple days.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Bologna ready to be cooked. Bitter sweet- glad to have some tasty treats but sad this marks the end til next year. Good luck to all of the late season bow hunters, only a few weeks and it’s a wrap for us all.

View attachment 331684

Attachments

• 44622DAA-F6EB-46DD-9490-9C67A06B1CAA.jpg
      44622DAA-F6EB-46DD-9490-9C67A06B1CAA.jpg
      79.4 KB · Views: 224

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    Two down this weekend. Makes six overall.

Good season but I can honestly say I need to make some changes for next year.

The farmer I hunt his property sold a bunch of trees and they weee taken down two weeks prior to rifle season. That really changed up things a lot.
    On the other side of me the land owner converted his 17acres ok old apple orchard to a tree conservation deed and that was all ground up over the last few weeks also.

I used to have 8-10 deer in my backyard every day twice a day and now have nothing.

I need to re-pattern everything and see where things have moved to for next Ems was on. W

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Two down this weekend. Makes six overall.

Good season but I can honestly say I need to make some changes for next year.

The farmer I hunt his property sold a bunch of trees and they weee taken down two weeks prior to rifle season. That really changed up things a lot.
    On the other side of me the land owner converted his 17acres ok old apple orchard to a tree conservation deed and that was all ground up over the last few weeks also.

I used to have 8-10 deer in my backyard every day twice a day and now have nothing.

I need to re-pattern everything and see where things have moved to for next Ems was on. W

That problem should fix itself by next season.

Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    I’ve been absent for a while but this was my opening day firearm deer.
    7612dab5ab1b74f408a6f72d0be4f24e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom