• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Well, the start of WVa rifle season isn't going very well. Sitting on the side of branch avenue right now with a pickup transmission that seems to be failing.

akalma

MDS Supporter
    Nov 24, 2008
    МоКо
    Went hunting yesterday afternoon. It is a small 3 acres parcel on MoCo. Saw a lot of bucks chasing does on neighboring parcel. One buck ran on the other side of the creek but it was too far, closest was 56 yards. Saw a lot of foxes, at least four different ones. One of the neighbors feed deer each day at 5pm with several bags of corn. I wonder if reporting him to DNR will bring any change.
    P.S. went shooting today to IWLA WAC, on the way back from range to the gate caught some motion to my left - there were about dozen turkeys! Just in time for Thanksgiving, it is a pity you can't hunt on this IWLA land.

outrider58

Call me Gee
    MDS Supporter
    Went hunting yesterday afternoon. It is a small 3 acres parcel on MoCo. Saw a lot of bucks chasing does on neighboring parcel. One buck ran on the other side of the creek but it was too far, closest was 56 yards. Saw a lot of foxes, at least four different ones. One of the neighbors feed deer each day at 5pm with several bags of corn. I wonder if reporting him to DNR will bring any change.
    P.S. went shooting today to IWLA WAC, on the way back from range to the gate caught some motion to my left - there were about dozen turkeys! Just in time for Thanksgiving, it is a pity you can't hunt on this IWLA land.
    I've never seen turkey in there, but I know they are around. We've physically chased deer off the ranges, both pistol and rifle(and probably shotgun too).

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD

What would you report to DNR?
    If you think he’s doing it to purposely mess up your hunt I don’t think they could do anything.

outrider58

Call me Gee
    MDS Supporter
    What would you report to DNR?
    If you think he’s doing it to purposely mess up your hunt I don’t think they could do anything.
    As long as it's his own property, I don't think there is anything that can be done. Hey, it keeps the deer around. They've got to get there and get back. When I used to run feeders, I generally didn't hunt over them(I would let others though). I used them to keep deer coming to my property.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    As long as it's his own property, I don't think there is anything that can be done. Hey, it keeps the deer around. They've got to get there and get back. When I used to run feeders, I generally didn't hunt over them(I would let others though). I used them to keep deer coming to my property.
    I agree
    I rather have him fatten them up than dealing with leaf blowing or some other work that tends to push them away.

akalma

MDS Supporter
    Nov 24, 2008
    МоКо
    Anybody besides my dumbass get in a tree today? I did have the loneliest spike buck in the woods give me a 5 yard broadside shot, both coming and going. Saw some does moving too. Nothing worth breaking an arrow over.
    My impression it can be done only before 10:30am in Mo and Fr counties. And not on public lands :(

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I tought it is illegal to feed any wild animals. WIth so much corn in deer diet they can develop the Acidosis
    Heard of the condition but not the law. With all the feeders that are sold I got to believe it’s legal to feed but in some areas it’s illegal to hunt over bait/feed.

outrider58

Call me Gee
    MDS Supporter
    I tought it is illegal to feed any wild animals. WIth so much corn in deer diet they can develop the Acidosis
    I think it happens in extreme cases where deer eat corn(and other carbs) as a mainstay in their diet. As long as they are able to browse and graze, a little corn or soy beans in their diet are fine. They will naturally hammer carbs during cold spells to help boost body heat/energy.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Might get out for midday today. I wanted to get out this morning, but I have a frikken 9AM work meeting I can't miss. Ground blind on public land with a little estrous might get some bucks moving, but we'll see. A day in a blind is better than a day at the office regardless of whether I see anything or not.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I’ve past on deer , wished I hadn’t passed on deer and also wish I had passed on deer. Hunting racks is relative. Only the hunter knows what’s right for them. Hunting meat for me is much more straight forward. I wait for a doe with no fawns and do not care of age. Funny thing is it seems like that would be easy until I set out to do.
    GL
    Lol. Yeah. I usually try to do that. Which generally means a lot of yearling does. I mean, I'll for sure go with a nice buck too. Three seasons now I've got to be a bit choosy because of the access on my property. It is small, but I get a lot of deer through here. Just mostly not trophies.

Anyway, early season I waited a week or two. Had a big herd, tried to pick such "on its own" deer. Nope, was an early season button. The other fawns were just so much smaller that it looks more like the size difference between a late season fawn and a yearling.

Oh well. He was a warty mess, but tasty. All of the other deer were very nice spikes forks, or old does with young with them. I don't lose much sleep over a late season doe with fawn(s). Not having momma around isn't probably going to make much difference at that point, but even if weened I just don't like whacking does with their fawns before about early muzzleloader.

Earlier seasons I always had some yearling does with no fawns. So far this year, I've seen almost no yearlings. Or if there are yearlings, they all had at least a fawn. Seems to be higher fawn recruitment, at least here, than the last few seasons. Almost nothing with lady parts without a fawn following her around.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Anybody besides my dumbass get in a tree today? I did have the loneliest spike buck in the woods give me a 5 yard broadside shot, both coming and going. Saw some does moving too. Nothing worth breaking an arrow over.
    Not I.

Just about over the VID. I might try to sit tomorrow. Not sure if the warming weather will move the deer, but it'll be a lot better than this morning would have been freezing to death and likely hacking out a lung.

Despite us not getting together with family all this week like we normally do every Thanksgiving, since COVID is still running its way through our kids after hitting my wife and then me, my wife has expectations that we are going to end up spending all the time together doing "family things". She shot down and then ground into to dirt my ask of taking either of the younger two to the range. Middle if he is recovered, youngest because she has still shown zero signs of getting sick (for all I know, she brought it home a week ago with no symptoms).

Wife - Nope. Family stuff.

Me - But it'll be somewhat warm, 50s. When is it going to be 50s again and they don't like when it's cold and its been about a year since I took either of them.

Wife - FAMILY THINGS!

So I am waiting to be told that my plan to sit in a stand tomorrow is vetoed. I've been telling her for a couple of days as I've been getting a lot better. But just because I've said something to her a dozen times doesn't mean she cared to commit that to anything past short term memory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom