• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Waiting on the big one!
    I’ve got a 64 acre wet spot with a little patch of danger space and a sika rub going on here is all.
    Sometimes you just have to feel lucky I think.
    Thankful to be out here today.
    Good luck everyone tonight!
    Good luck to you too, sir.
    5E58D5AA-7EA2-4E5D-86C6-A5F86FDE82DD.jpeg

Here’s my evening’s view.

akalma

MDS Supporter
    Nov 24, 2008
    МоКо
    Waiting on the big one!
    I’ve got a 64 acre wet spot with a little patch of danger space and a sika rub going on here is all.
    Sometimes you just have to feel lucky I think.
    Thankful to be out here today.
    Good luck everyone tonight!
    High ground and no frags! Congrats and good luck tonight!

akalma

MDS Supporter
    Nov 24, 2008
    МоКо
    Yesterday afternoon was on a public land. Didn't see any deer but saw one hunter with no stand. Today went from 10 till 3, also public land. No deer seeing but saw four hunters in the forest. It is tough.
    Also seems it is pretty common to see people stalk hunting during firearm season on public lands.

Last edited:

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Well, no luck this evening. You are correct, sometimes we miss the big picture, and we’re blessed just to get the chance to get out there.
    I fear my great grand kids will not have this opportunity,,
    We will all be herded into cities and hunting and the great outdoors will be reserved for the elites and faithful of the party

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    Well, no luck this evening. You are correct, sometimes we miss the big picture, and we’re blessed just to get the chance to get out there.
    Same here. I won't be able to hunt tomorrow, so today was pretty much my last day of deer season. If the last day of bow looks friendly, I could possibly hunt then. I did manage to take a small doe(my preferred target) for some yummy ground. That was really all I needed, meat wise. I still have a bunch from last year and a lot of beef in my freezers. These last two days were perfect late season deer hunting days. Both days I sat all day, absorbing the beauty of it all. :)

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Same here. I won't be able to hunt tomorrow, so today was pretty much my last day of deer season. If the last day of bow looks friendly, I could possibly hunt then. I did manage to take a small doe(my preferred target) for some yummy ground. That was really all I needed, meat wise. I still have a bunch from last year and a lot of beef in my freezers. These last two days were perfect late season deer hunting days. Both days I sat all day, absorbing the beauty of it all. :)
    Glad you got out!

I had to work Friday and today I spent most of the day cutting and splitting firewood to season for next year. I’ve finally learned my lesson rather than doing it once it gets warm or even hot out!

That and it’s taken me this many years to learn to properly sharpen my chainsaw. Don’t ask why I could never do it properly before. One of those few skills I just could not get for the life of me. I always only made it slightly better so I mostly dealt with dull chains since I didn’t want to be buying 6 a season to cut up 3-4 cords. This year I have it down, have the new motor on my log splitter, I welded on a log catcher to the side of it and got the thing finally at the proper height so I am not bending over. I cut and split just shy of a cord today without a sore back. Normally it would take 2 days of hard work and a bad sore back to do the same.

6hrs with a couple one hour breaks to cut, split and stack it.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    It's been a rough season for me but I finally put some meat in the freezer. The .450 Marlin did a helluva job.

Attachments

• 20230107_172938.jpg
      20230107_172938.jpg
      596.4 KB · Views: 83

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    This past weekend was a bust.

I pushed a bunch when walking in each morning well before dawn.

Saw a bear being chased by dogs and houndsman.

Had a nice, big bodied 8 point pop up out of thick pines as I stopped to text my buddy. Was a very random spot next to the access road. He must have thought I made him and broke cover. He was smart enough to not stop when I whistled. Was good to at least see him!

akalma

MDS Supporter
    Nov 24, 2008
    МоКо
    Had a nice, big bodied 8 point pop up out of thick pines as I stopped to text my buddy. Was a very random spot next to the access road. He must have thought I made him and broke cover. He was smart enough to not stop when I whistled. Was good to at least see him!
    Wow, it is sad. New slogan then: "Don't text and hunt!"

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Wow, it is sad. New slogan then: "Don't text and hunt!"
    I kind of agree. Although, I'm sure he would have watched me walk right on by if I didn't stop in that particular spot at that particular moment. Those short pines are thick. Chance encounter.

Makes me pine for next hunting season.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    The deer up here locked down except for the young and dumb bucks. Half of them were not moving either. The full, torch light, moon didn't help either. I slow stalked the 1/2 mile access trail as that always produces deer crossing the trail and stopping in the open area. I didn't see or push a deer. Rifle season and even black powder can be one of the hardest seasons in this county to see deer after the first week.

Have to break the cross bow out as I need ground meat for ground jerky with my new Meat 10 tray dehydrator! I always quit after this late rifle season from frustration, but once every one gets out of the woods the deer go back to normal for bow season again. The game cameras taught me that when i pulled them in February.

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    Quick question about cooking: I decided that I was just going to freeze parts that are a pain in the ass to strip meat from with the bone in, like the neck and pelvis. Just pulled one of those items out of the freezer and I'm about to stick it in the pressure cooker. Has anyone else done it this way?
    16733735706918623855222376207862.jpg

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Quick question about cooking: I decided that I was just going to freeze parts that are a pain in the ass to strip meat from with the bone in, like the neck and pelvis. Just pulled one of those items out of the freezer and I'm about to stick it in the pressure cooker. Has anyone else done it this way?
    View attachment 395788
    I use the crock pot for soups and stews to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scooby225

Latest threads

Top Bottom