• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    I sowed my clover plot this time last year. I sprayed it with roundup a couple times during the summer then used a handheld spreader to sow ladino and medium red clover(purple flowered). Later in the fall I overseeded that with winter wheat. I don't have a camera out but I can see where they've been in there. Just tonight I saw a doe and a young one out in the back bean field
    Did you till/rake the soil or just broadcast the seed over the ground?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Got some good bucks running around at various locations.
    Sika too here and there.
    I hope that late summer creeping death dont show up again like it's been the past two or more years.
    Someone I know has a walk in cold box for sale if anyone is looking for that sort of thing.
    Evidently its commercial quality and modular, relatively new only wants a couple grand and it out of the pole building.
    Maybe someone is familiar with that sort of thing, I haven't seen it yet-not familiar with a device such as that.
    I want to start taking some people hunting get some culling done for deer on some private lands occasionally so BOLO if you contacted me last year.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Got some good bucks running around at various locations.
    Sika too here and there.
    I hope that late summer creeping death dont show up again like it's been the past two or more years.
    Someone I know has a walk in cold box for sale if anyone is looking for that sort of thing.
    Evidently its commercial quality and modular, relatively new only wants a couple grand and it out of the pole building.
    Maybe someone is familiar with that sort of thing, I haven't seen it yet-not familiar with a device such as that.
    I want to start taking some people hunting get some culling done for deer on some private lands occasionally so BOLO if you contacted me last year.
    Sending you a PM. Thanks.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Did you till/rake the soil or just broadcast the seed over the ground?
    Broadcast then covered with straw. Looking at my calendar, I planted on a Monday evening, we had heavy rains on Tuesday, I had clover sprouting on Saturday
    I don't seem to have a current pic but here is one from last October

Attachments

• 20221009_172936.jpg
      20221009_172936.jpg
      383.7 KB · Views: 66
    Last edited:

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Hoping moose in Maryland becomes a trend since it’s legal to harvest one. Probably would need a flatbed tow truck to drag it out of the woods or cut it up into sections to carry out. I hear it’s good meat.

https://montgonion.com/home/marylandmoose#:~:text=A moose was spotted in,Maryland the last 10 years.
    Come on folks! This is a hoax or a joke! Read the article.

1. There is no Maryland Department of Game and Fish.
    2. Boris Badenov? That’s the bad guy from Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoons.
    3. Tracker named Natasha? Again, Bullwinkle cartoons.
    4. In the article the woman said seeing the moose “freaked her the fvck out”? What newspaper would print that?
    5. An 11 ft tall moose? Moose are huge but not that big. A huge bull stands about 6 ft to the shoulder, another couple feet to the top of their head maybe, but not 5 ft extra.
    6. Hector J. Peabody is the white cartoon dog “Mr. Peabody”, not the director of a fake Maryland Wildlife Agency.

Maybe the joke is on me and everyone responding does in fact get it and I am the one being duped by all your well crafted tongue-in-cheek responses, but I doubt it given the history of MDS.....

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Come on folks! This is a hoax or a joke! Read the article.

1. There is no Maryland Department of Game and Fish.
    2. Boris Badenov? That’s the bad guy from Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoons.
    3. Tracker named Natasha? Again, Bullwinkle cartoons.
    4. In the article the woman said seeing the moose “freaked her the fvck out”? What newspaper would print that?
    5. An 11 ft tall moose? Moose are huge but not that big. A huge bull stands about 6 ft to the shoulder, another couple feet to the top of their head maybe, but not 5 ft extra.
    6. Hector J. Peabody is the white cartoon dog “Mr. Peabody”, not the director of a fake Maryland Wildlife Agency.

Maybe the joke is on me and everyone responding does in fact get it and I am the one being duped by all your well crafted tongue-in-cheek responses, but I doubt it given the history of MDS.....
    7. and maybe that it's from a source called "The Montgonion" :innocent0

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    You'll let me know when you come across that, won't you?
    You know it! :lol:

I'm feeling behind the 8-ball again this year. Haven't really done much to prep yet for the season. Going to get the cameras and do some early season prep next weekend. Have to move blind this year. It was starting to kill the hemlock that had it nested under over the last few seasons.

Last edited:

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I don't do much prep anymore. I hunt with my buddy on his small beef/hay farm. There's a nice 10pnt that's been showing up during the early part of the rut. Last year, he was just shootable at 3 years old. He disappears as soon as the rut runs down. Hopefully, my adjustments from last year will put me within bow range. If he shows up, he will be a pretty nice deer. Something like this guy...

View attachment 426803
    Very nice - good luck on that one! I occasionally see one of the few bucks on the mountain that wanders down to feed on crops. There's a hoss 10 pointer that has evaded folks around here the last few years. Hoping to get a bead on him this year if he's still around. Always shows up on my cams in the middle of the night in the weeks leading up to opening day, then disappears about a week or two before. This has happened the last two years.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    Very nice - good luck on that one! I occasionally see one of the few bucks on the mountain that wanders down to feed on crops. There's a hoss 10 pointer that has evaded folks around here the last few years. Hoping to get a bead on him this year if he's still around. Always shows up on my cams in the middle of the night in the weeks leading up to opening day, then disappears about a week or two before. This has happened the last two years.
    That's why he's still alive. Lol

About the best chance to kill one of those nocturnals is right around Halloween. Well before the "rut" gets going. If you bow/xbow hunt, the week after early ML is the best time to start 'looking' for those guys. Once I quit hunting the early ML season, I started seeing better bucks. Didn't always kill them then, but the early gun season sure puts more pressure on the old and wise deer.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    That's why he's still alive. Lol

About the best chance to kill one of those nocturnals is right around Halloween. Well before the "rut" gets going. If you bow/xbow hunt, the week after early ML is the best time to start 'looking' for those guys. Once I quit hunting the early ML season, I started seeing better bucks. Didn't always kill them then, but the early gun season sure puts more pressure on the old and wise deer.
    Yep - I've been hunting early archery every year until last year and probably will wait until October at the earliest again this year (vacation getting in the way). Concur on the post ML gap between that and rifle. That's the week or two that I've taken the most in archery. Biggest bodied buck that I've taken was the second weekend post ML. Big-bodied old buck who's antlers were in decline. I'd seen him pass/lurk out of range on two prior seasons. Dragged that old one down-slope to near the road where I could load it into the truck at a turnaround on the driveway. My taxidermist neighbor across the street saw me dragging down the hill and came out to help me load it. You get very few neck roasts off of "mountain deer", but I got two off of this one. Hoping for a repeat this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom