• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Does anyone happen to have a tracking dog in the DMV area? I just double lunged a buck (or so I thought), but the blood trail died pretty quickly after starting strong. It was only a couple drops every few yards, and but now I can't find any.
    Sorry you lost him. Sounds like a non-lethal muscle hit (too high, too low, too far forward).

A lung hit, especially a double lung, is quickly fatal, lots of bright blood and doesn't peter out. The blood is usually bright red with small bubbles in it.

A muscle hit is typically dark red blood with no bubbles, starts off strong but tapers off to a dot here and there then quits. As Outrider said, the deer will likely survive.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Bummer!

Hopefully they show up again while you're there. Typical cat and mouse game.

Just another reason I hate trail cams. Shit like that will make you old. :lol:
    On one hand yes, they drive me crazy with the pictures. On the other hand, it's helped me get a great inventory on what is in the area and has proven the work we've done to build good age structure is working. Also helps me inventory the turkey pretty well.

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    On one hand yes, they drive me crazy with the pictures. On the other hand, it's helped me get a great inventory on what is in the area and has proven the work we've done to build good age structure is working. Also helps me inventory the turkey pretty well.
    On the farm I had exclusive hunting rights to hunt, I kept up mineral lick. Towards the end, that was the only place I kept a camera on. I kept it on, year round for that reason. I hunted the place for so long, I already knew all the travel corridors and which ones the bucks favored. I played the odds(the place was only 70 acres) and had great success. The less tromping around I did in the woods, the better the results. I wasn't bumping deer while retrieving cards.

Not every place is like that, and I realize that. That was the hunting style I developed through my years hunting there. Low impact, non-aggressive hunting.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Does anyone happen to have a tracking dog in the DMV area? I just double lunged a buck (or so I thought), but the blood trail died pretty quickly after starting strong. It was only a couple drops every few yards, and but now I can't find any.
    Mark your last spot of blood, and then search outwards in a spiral pattern.

You will pick up the blood trail again.

Most importantly: don't get frustrated, keep looking.

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    Mark your last spot of blood, and then search outwards in a spiral pattern.

You will pick up the blood trail again.

Most importantly: don't get frustrated, keep looking.
    Definitely frustrated, but will give it another go this afternoon. Thanks for the advice. I may have liver shot it, according to the dog tracker guy.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    If a liver shot, give the deer 6 hours. Then go try to find it. Otherwise, If you bump the deer to early, it's gonna run.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    On the farm I had exclusive hunting rights to hunt, I kept up mineral lick. Towards the end, that was the only place I kept a camera on. I kept it on, year round for that reason. I hunted the place for so long, I already knew all the travel corridors and which ones the bucks favored. I played the odds(the place was only 70 acres) and had great success. The less tromping around I did in the woods, the better the results. I wasn't bumping deer while retrieving cards.

Not every place is like that, and I realize that. That was the hunting style I developed through my years hunting there. Low impact, non-aggressive hunting.
    I'm on fairly small ground, but run a lot of cameras. 4 cell 5-6 regular. I only pull those when I am near them, so sometimes it's weeks. I'm mostly in transition areas, so I do my best to pattern the doe groups the best I can.

nomade

Apr 26, 2014
    I saw it this morning around 118 and 355.
    20231104_112956.jpg

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    I went out a couple evenings ago in a hang on stand and saw nothing but squirrels and birds. Went back this morning and a doe and a spike came through but I had no clear shot.
    Maybe 5 minutes later the doe walks back where I can shoot her, but then she stops and looks around like they do when other deer are around. So instead of taking her I wait for something bigger after she walks off. Nada.
    I gotta say I've been spoiled hunting from ladder stands these past several years. At 61 this sitting 16 ft up on a 6×12" seat just ain't as easy as it used to be.

Attachments

• 20231104_080303.jpg
      20231104_080303.jpg
      391.6 KB · Views: 55

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I'm trying to train my dog to trail blood/scent. We were making good progress two seasons ago, but last season he tore his knee so we couldn't train. If anyone in Fredco or north MoCo shoots one, I'd love to let him trail it.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I'm trying to train my dog to trail blood/scent. We were making good progress two seasons ago, but last season he tore his knee so we couldn't train. If anyone in Fredco or north MoCo shoots one, I'd love to let him trail it.
    Is Taylorsville too far? I haven't started hunting the farm yet this year but will after I fill my WV tags.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom