• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cool_Moo5e

Sep 4, 2023
    Harford
    Got a nice thick doe on public land here in York this afternoon.

Couple guys were on their way out as I was showing up around noon and said they hadn’t seen or heard a shot all day. I wasn’t sitting but 15 minutes before I dropped her.
    Some times you just gotta sit

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    Missed my target buck last night. Arrow hit a twig tree and deflected. Searched for hours, thinking the arrow was stuck in him. Found the clean arrow this morning. I can live with a miss, even though it is my first. It was just a matter of time. Glad he will be around to chase another day, if not me maybe someone else will get a crack at him.

This cold weather should have them moving! Good luck to everyone in the woods today.

Cool_Moo5e

Sep 4, 2023
    Harford
    Ain't that the truth. I forwent my pop up ground blind to just sit behind a downed tree this particular day. Had I made all the noise setting up the blind, I doubt I'd have ended up taking this one when I did.
    I've climbed into into the Y of 2 trees and sat there once and took a doe with a recurve bow

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    Dorchester 9 point. Yesterday 11:45. 1 of 5 buck chasing tail.

Attachments

• IMG_1005.jpeg
      IMG_1005.jpeg
      439.2 KB · Views: 107
    • IMG_1012.jpeg
      IMG_1012.jpeg
      781.5 KB · Views: 99

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I usually lop them off during field dressing.

...oh, never mind.
    Lol. Yeah, MD has not requirements to leave the beans and frank attached, nor the antlers or head. Not least I've seen.

Only thing in the regs even remotely close is this item.

• A hunter may not remove the head or hide or any part from any deer (except internal organs), or cut the meat into parts, until the deer has been registered and the confirmation number received.
    Once it has been checked in, the hunter can do whatever they want to with the deer (just please, nothing unnatural. Save that for the livestock).

Another note, you don't actually have to tag your deer. Except if you are going to move it prior to checking it in. Or if you are going to give it to someone else. It is supposed to be field tagged when you are not with the deer or if you give it to someone else (including a butcher) until it has been sliced and diced by the hunter, the person in lawful possession, or the butcher.

Which does technically mean you should put a tag on it if you decide to go back to your truck, even if you've called it in. Or if you decide to leave it in your truck if you stop for lunch. I am pretty sure no NPR officer is going to give you crap if you did the last one.

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    Was out Friday morning. Quite except for squirrels. Saturday morning. Not even squirrels.
    Saturday evening - same. Nada. Nothing.
    Some snow here this morning. 24 F now. Will be down right cold by morning.
    I think I'll wait until later. :innocent0
    Nice work on getting it done folks!

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    For anyone out there today, I admire your dedication. I've sat through many days like today in my younger years. I don't anymore. Not a lot of deer activity, I have experienced. They tend to not move much in these frontal situations. I avoid them, if not for any other reason, than to avoid my scent being scattered in 360 degrees throughout the woods.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Can’t kill em from the couch! It was cold and windy but I’m glad I went out, got in the field at 3:45pm. Bumped a doe driving in so had good hopes.

I did a simple set. Grabbed my seat cushion and sat against a tree only about 100 yards from my truck, overlooking a clearing. This little spike walked out at 4:40pm from the woods, 50 yards from me. Shot once with my suppressed .350 legend, 180gr winchesters. He did a little jump, turned, then just stood there. So shot again. He jumped again and took off into woods. Made it about 10 yards and plopped over. Both shots connected, once through the lungs the other forward around the shoulder area. I thought it was a button buck at first glance but it had one spike broken off. The other spike was just under 3” so actually still counts as a button buck.

Came out to 80lbs after being field dressed. No trophy but more meat in the freezer!

IMG_9505.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom