• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WHBD

Oct 4, 2023
    Crownsville
    Wow! My PA bull elk was under $600 to butcher (back in 18 though). And I got close to 300lbs of meat back. Live weight was estimated at close to 800lbs. The cape and rack was probably 100lbs easy.
    Elk are shockingly big as you walk up on them. I'd love a PA tag. Buddy who works for Foxpro up there guides for them. Seen quite a few when visiting up there.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Last day of the season so we were all sitting on the areas we had seen the most sign. I left my saddle in my truck as I wanted to be as mobile as possible. I actually like sitting on the ground. My friends tell me I've watched too much of The Hunting Public and Whitetail Adrenaline, haha. I was in a fairly thickly grown, small clearing. Heard a stick break as she entered and she was on a path that would take her past me at about a yard; I didn't want her that close. Tried a grunt, a 'meh' and a lip squeak to stop her at 10 yards but she kept strolling.
    This year's buck was the first one of that size I've taken from a stand. I have an elk and 2 good bucks that came off the ground and still spend about 50% of my season there. With good wind, I've had deer just about step on me.

WHBD

Oct 4, 2023
    Crownsville
    This year's buck was the first one of that size I've taken from a stand. I have an elk and 2 good bucks that came off the ground and still spend about 50% of my season there. With good wind, I've had deer just about step on me.
    Awesome. Yeah, the adrenaline hits harder from the ground. Also, and this is just my theory, but on some of the harder hit public lands, deer seem to expect danger from above more than below. As with most other types of hunting, having the right combo of backdrop and concealment while you draw your bow, as well keeping all other movement to a minimum, is critical. This year has been zero from a stand or saddle and 100% from the ground. Other factors like a swirling wind or bucks chasing does too fast or in the wrong(for me)direction have been why I haven't killed from a tree.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    IMG_2208.jpeg
    Went out shopping for does and this guys walks past me. I had 15 turkeys all around me. I wish I had that on video. Boom and the buck was running and turkeys flying everywhere. He went 30 and staggered and collapsed. Lead round broke a rib on the far side and bruised it all up but no hole in the skin and didn’t see the bullet. All lead .452 255 grain.

He’s sleeping in the basement fridge already.
    IMG_2211.jpeg

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    Can’t post it on here but one Tom stuck around with me waiting to make sure he’s dead and strutted at 25 yards until I stood up. They won’t be like this come April
    If you get video and want to post without a YT account, I turn them into GIFs.

turkey gif.gif

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    View attachment 445076 Went out shopping for does and this guys walks past me. I had 15 turkeys all around me. I wish I had that on video. Boom and the buck was running and turkeys flying everywhere. He went 30 and staggered and collapsed. Lead round broke a rib on the far side and bruised it all up but no hole in the skin and didn’t see the bullet. All lead .452 255 grain.

View attachment 445078
    Congrats

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    View attachment 445076 Went out shopping for does and this guys walks past me. I had 15 turkeys all around me. I wish I had that on video. Boom and the buck was running and turkeys flying everywhere. He went 30 and staggered and collapsed. Lead round broke a rib on the far side and bruised it all up but no hole in the skin and didn’t see the bullet. All lead .452 255 grain.

View attachment 445078
    Nice, sounds like a great way to spend a day in the woods.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Been there for two days.
    Farm grown corn.
    I was kinda funnin about the corn. We bait all year.

It always amazes me how the deer bunch up this time of year

I saw 20+ this morning in one spot

I often wonder if it is because of hunting season or something else

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom