• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    A lot of departments stopped using them because a few FBI agents shot themselves in the leg Tex Grubner style.....nothing new here.

Has nothing to do with a ban for citizens FYI

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    I personally have never used one and have no honest opinion. However, when I did my LEOSA requalification last spring, I was told not to use the Black Hawk "Sherpa" holster. This was through the P G County Municipal Police Academy. Whether or not the county police can use them is unknown.

aaron.foulk

Feb 16, 2013
    I just watched this video a few days ago. I thought it was a very good discussion of the pros and cons of the Serpa. Short version- if your training trigger discipline is up to par, it's a great holster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUCqk00SKBU

My problem with this logic is that it sets up fallible human beings for a fall due to their own pride and arrogance about their skill.

Are they inherently dangerous? No. But they unnecessarily set up a less than desirable set of circumstances for a person learning to draw from a holster where they have to do something with their index finger other than keep it out of the trigger guard during the draw.

These are not allowed for new shooters at certain IDPA clubs as a matter of club policy. I believe that is a wise decision. As an SO, I'd be happy if I never saw one of these at a match again.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    A few years ago when I worked for an armored truck service I used a serpa 6 days a week for a year and a half and really liked it. It held a m&p 45 fwiw.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Ask an old fart about JayPee swivel holsters , and Clamshells.

^^^ Haven't heard that name in a while!!!!!!!

And yes, I'm a gray-haired old fart!!!:D

FWIW, my Serpa sits in a drawer, now.
    For concealed carry, the Galco "Stinger" or Bianchi "Remedy" are GREAT for OWB!!
    The Serpa is NOT a good concealed carry holster, unless you're wearing a poncho or Eskimo suit.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For our younger members who aren't collector of historic LE leather gear , with the above referenced ( expremely popular holster into at least the mid '70s , one had to insert the finger into the trigger gaurd , in firing position , to release the gun.

*In general* it takes an excellently designed Paddle holster to be as concealable as a mediocre pancake holster. Before there were Serpas , the notorous one was the fobous Roto-Holster .

aaron.foulk

Feb 16, 2013
    For our younger members who aren't collector of historic LE leather gear , with the above referenced ( expremely popular holster into at least the mid '70s , one had to insert the finger into the trigger gaurd , in firing position , to release the gun.

*In general* it takes an excellently designed Paddle holster to be as concealable as a mediocre pancake holster. Before there were Serpas , the notorous one was the fobous Roto-Holster .

Wow. Did the Deluxe model have an attachment that would swipe off the safety on your 1911 for you as you drew the gun, too? :rolleyes:

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Ask an old fart about JayPee swivel holsters , and Clamshells.

Hahahahahaha those were a terrible idea.

As sad as it is below was an UPGRADE from Jaypee

027d6d64.jpg

Eastcoasttj

This is gonna hurt
    Sep 22, 2012
    Baltimore
    The serpas i've found were pretty good. I use a standard leather holster for my day to day but liked the serpa for making entrys. It was a lot easier to place the gun back in the holster if you needed your hands quickly. (Leather strap on top sometimes got caught inside of holster if you were rushing) Never heard of a problem with ND. Thanks for the post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom