• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    Sundazes, does your cable have lights like the one in the picture below?

8b10a27b85d6e41a6216eb1ac2dd1538.jpg

If it does and the lights aren't blinking on and off when you try to pull data from the phone, then the USB driver isn't seeing the cable. (I have previously installed the Prolific Driver)

Of course make sure that you've selected the proper port like in the picture below. Chirp otherwise defaults to Bluetooth (at least on my Mac) whenever I restart.

42aae1c324f25c69d9316b62aeb0b4e7.jpg

I purchased my BF-R3 from Amazon in August of 2019, and used the radio selection of Radioddity UV-5RX3 successfully. Volume turned all the way up of course.

31017825ff7695180a9bb561f766a60c.jpg

Here's the link for the BF-R3 radios that I had ordered ...

https://smile.amazon.com/Tri-Band-400-520Mhz-Antennas-Portable-Transmitter/dp/B07VD7P3X5

Strange, I have a different cable, Ill take pic of it in the am.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Strange, I have a different cable, Ill take pic of it in the am.

There are many cables, but some apparently just don't work. I'm using the one that came with the bundle and it seems to work just fine. It's Baofeng branded.

There is a post in this thread or the Amateur Radio FAQ thread that has a link to one "guaranteed" to work.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    There are two problems some of the cables are completely counterfeit and others use a counterfeit chip that doesn’t work well with the software driver.

This cable connection and driver problem was one of my initial problems a year ago sometimes you were connected to the driver but the driver and the cable are not on the same software comm port

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    There are two problems some of the cables are completely counterfeit and others use a counterfeit chip that doesn’t work well with the software driver.

This cable connection and driver problem was one of my initial problems a year ago sometimes you were connected to the driver but the driver and the cable are not on the same software comm port

The biggest problem I had was seating the cable. Just when you think you've pushed it in the radio as far as it'll go, push harder.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    The biggest problem I had was seating the cable. Just when you think you've pushed it in the radio as far as it'll go, push harder.

Thats what she said, but unfortunately, it is pushed as far as it can go on both radios. Works just fine on the 82.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Thanks for the feedback. I’m glad you guys found it useful. I would like to scrub the video but I have to work tomorrow now so I may not get to it until Sunday. Once it’s up I’ll send you all the link.

ToolAA - I don't mean to be a pest, but will the class video be posted for playback?

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    ToolAA - I don't mean to be a pest, but will the class video be posted for playback?

Not a pest at all. I have been crazy busy at work. Two of my installers are out do to COVID quarantine. It couldn’t happen at a worse time because we are already booked. So I’ve had to pickup the slack. Ive been working in the field every day then trying to catch up on my office work when I get home. I’ve got some Christmas gifts to finish soon.

Unfortunately I think editing the class video has to take a back seat until my work and personal schedule go back to somewhat normal. I’m sorry about the delay.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Not a pest at all. I have been crazy busy at work. Two of my installers are out do to COVID quarantine. It couldn’t happen at a worse time because we are already booked. So I’ve had to pickup the slack. Ive been working in the field every day then trying to catch up on my office work when I get home. I’ve got some Christmas gifts to finish soon.

Unfortunately I think editing the class video has to take a back seat until my work and personal schedule go back to somewhat normal. I’m sorry about the delay.

No problem. Take all the time you need.

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD

*Does everyone an unpaid favor*
    *Apologizes when the favor takes extra time*
    :lol2:

Dec 30, 2015

Sorry for your woes at work. Is it possible to send an email to the Zoom distro to alert us when you are able to post it?

sureshot

Apr 15, 2014
    video recording

I was out recovering from COVID before and after the class. i would also be interested in the recording should it come available. thanks

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Just wanted to thank ToolAA again for his instruction. I wasn't able to actually program during the class because of a bad driver for my radio cable, but I got a new one and was able to program a couple of personal radios and clone a whole bunch that will be used for our NRP reserve officers search and rescue unit. Thank you!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom