• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunJunkie91

Aug 13, 2023
    Maryland
    Good evening,
    I have a question. I am planning a AR15 build and I want to make sure I am in Maryland compliance since I do not want to spend a few years in a room with a toilet and a sink. The main question is this. What is the barrel length limit I can have for my AR15 build? Is it 16 and below or 16 and above? Also on a side note, I have to make sure the complete upper is not M4 style. I can't wait for someone to challenge this crap.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    16 inch or longer barrel with the rifle meeting an overall length of 29". With 16" barrel 29" OAL will be attained. If its a post Oct 2013 rifle it needs to have an advertised HBAR barrel profile.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    16" or longer, and the barrel for 5.56/.223 needs to be a heavy (Hbar) barrel. Hey, kinda sucks, but could have been a LOOOOOOOOT worse. Some states have it far worse. While I would love all the gun control rolled back, I'm glad to a certain extent, we had idiots making the laws instead of dangerous, knowledgeable enemies.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Rifle barrel lengths, as per NFA 1934 were originally 18 inches, but then later were reduced to 16 inches because the government was selling off all their M1 carbines and they had 16 inch barrels. That's why the differentiation between shotgun barrel and rifle barrel minimum lengths.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    OP, FWIW, a 16” HBAR carbine with a carbine gas system isn’t a bad handling carbine. The extra weight on the barrel is between your arms and close to the body so the front ended heaviness isn’t there. Not a pencil barrel but still quite maneuverable.

The middy length HBAR gas system is about the same , but you can feel a little something compared to the 16”. By the time you put on a 15” hanguard and so on, LPVO and so on….

YMMV

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    OP, FWIW, a 16” HBAR carbine with a carbine gas system isn’t a bad handling carbine. The extra weight on the barrel is between your arms and close to the body so the front ended heaviness isn’t there. Not a pencil barrel but still quite maneuverable.

The middy length HBAR gas system is about the same , but you can feel a little something compared to the 16”. By the time you put on a 15” hanguard and so on, LPVO and so on….

YMMV
    Remember back in the '80s when everyone wanted the Colt Sporter because of the Hbar? Lol

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Theoretically you can still just have a braced pistol or pistol without a brace if you're a GOA/SAF/FPC member and not worry about md's infringements against AR pattern rifles or barrel length.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    In addition to HBAR being exempt for rifle ARs, piston systems are considered exempt too.

People also take 14.5” barrels and pin and weld a long enough muzzle device to bring the legal length past 16” if you want to save some weight over an actual 16.”
    Theoretically you can still just have a braced pistol or pistol without a brace if you're a GOA/SAF/FPC member and not worry about md's infringements against AR pattern rifles or barrel length.
    Or just a regular SBR with a stock if he wanted to deal with that.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    16" or longer, and the barrel for 5.56/.223 needs to be a heavy (Hbar) barrel. Hey, kinda sucks, but could have been a LOOOOOOOOT worse. Some states have it far worse. While I would love all the gun control rolled back, I'm glad to a certain extent, we had idiots making the laws instead of dangerous, knowledgeable enemies.
    These people are NOT idiots. They are not stupid. Most of them have law degrees. They are intentionally infringing incrementally and it is just baby steps toward the grand plan of disarmament of all citizens. To think they are stupid is naive. Think of them as the criminals they are.

Sirex