• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tootall

Feelings Hurter
    Oct 3, 2008
    AACO
    point in safe direction, load, ensure pointed in safe direction, pull trigger, gun go boom, get a woody, lather rinse repeat in a safe direction

soup101

Mar 4, 2009
    Fantasy Island
    1. ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
    This is the primary rule of gun safety. A safe direction means that the gun is pointed so that even if it were to go off it would not cause injury or damage. The key to this rule is to control where the muzzle or front end of the barrel is pointed at all times. Common sense dictates the safest direction, depending on different circumstances.

2. ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
    When holding a gun, rest your finger on the trigger guard or along the side of the gun. Until you are actually ready to fire, do not touch the trigger.

3. ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.
    Whenever you pick up a gun, immediately engage the safety device if possible, and, if the gun has a magazine, remove it before opening the action and looking into the chamber(s) which should be clear of ammunition. If you do not know how to open the action or inspect the chamber(s), leave the gun alone and get help from someone who does.

CHUNKERMD

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    West MD
    1. ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
    This is the primary rule of gun safety. A safe direction means that the gun is pointed so that even if it were to go off it would not cause injury or damage. The key to this rule is to control where the muzzle or front end of the barrel is pointed at all times. Common sense dictates the safest direction, depending on different circumstances.

2. ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
    When holding a gun, rest your finger on the trigger guard or along the side of the gun. Until you are actually ready to fire, do not touch the trigger.

3. ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.
    Whenever you pick up a gun, immediately engage the safety device if possible, and, if the gun has a magazine, remove it before opening the action and looking into the chamber(s) which should be clear of ammunition. If you do not know how to open the action or inspect the chamber(s), leave the gun alone and get help from someone who does.

What soup said.:thumbsup:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Presuming this was posted in the proper section, take an NRA basic RIFLE course. Or USMC basic training. Or be tought by your father.
    Every gun is loaded always.It is the "empty" gun that is involved in "accidents".
    Learn what a triggger is for.
    Learn the use of a military or Whelan sling.
    Unless you have actual vission problems, learn to use sights that do not contain either glass or batteries .

bulletbill

Agent provocateur
    Dec 31, 2008
    SW FL
    As everyone else has stated;

Keep the booger hook off the bang switch until you're absolutely certain that what you're pointing at you want to destroy.

Next is something I've only recently learned and am attempting to practice is firing on the natural breath pause. At the bottom of the intake breath you pause between 1.5 to 6 seconds based on the individual, that is the most relaxed state your body is in. It is taking me sometime to acquire and hold the target when I hit this stage but when I do the groups are looking better and better.

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    Great acronym....I can't believe I've never heard it before.

a real old dude (looked like he was about to croak) told me that several years ago down at Western Maryland something club down on the Potomac near Williamsport. I never forgot it and I repeat it often. :thumbsup:

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    The gun going bang should be a surprise every time. Keeps you from anticipating recoil.

Also when teaching the "keep muzzle pointed in a safe direction" rule, I tell people to pretend it's a laser pointer and the goal is never to let it shine on a person (or anything else you'd hate to see destroyed)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom