• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    You should have told him about the stripped AR lower "loophole" LOL!
    He might have blown a gasket!

Yeppers...because the law uses a regulated firearm for the HQL exemption. That should also mean that people who bought a regulated long gun before 2013 are also exempt.

Another way to make them blow a gasket, is to tell them you bought a C&R handgun ..no C&R license and no HQL...(HQL not needed for C&R handgun purchase), then used the C&R handgun for the exemption to training. I know at least 5 people who did that.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I’d have told him to please arrest me. I have 2 PBJs for speeding tickets. I have an exemplary career working in an underserved area. I’m relaxing at the range. Give me just a moment to hit record….there. Can you please repeat what you said? It’s being recorded.

The older I get the less fvcks I give.

You still have Fvcks left???

Can I get a few, I've been out for a while, my Fvcks tree won't bloom until later this year, and the Fvcks bucket is empty.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    It's what it is, a high-volume box store. It's high volume in both sales and the number of employees that roll through there. Some are MUCH better than others. Talk to a few different ones and if you find an employee that's worth a damn, ask when they work and try to just deal with them.

I worked there behind the gun counter for about 7 years for my summer/weekend/night job when I first started teaching. There was a LOT of turnover and we had a few counter employees that were completely worthless. As someone that eventually came to know a useful amount of gun stuff, it got hard to be civil when coworkers started spouting bad info from a position of authority and refused to listen to new info.

One example was when a middle aged woman came in looking for her first home defense gun. She asked for something under about $600 and asked to see a g19. The counter guy told her 9mm was worthless for defense because it goes too fast and cauterizes the wound as it hits, then spent 10 minutes trying to talk her in to a $1500 1911 because 45s have a guaranteed one-shot stop that will knock the badguy back 5 feet. I felt compelled to cut in and toss the BS flag on that one.

There were some very knowledgeable and hard working people that worked there too though, some being members on the board here. It's quite hit or miss and just what you get in a big box store.

I am glad basspro is here though. Despite the bad that comes with box store stuff is a lot of good for the md gunowner. The volume of sales there is crazy. They're getting lots of guns into the hands of the law abiding here. More importantly is the role they play in getting people to be first time gun owners.

It's a gun shop at a major store within a big mall in Central md. People that are scared or otherwise anxious to stop at a standalone gun store feel more comfortable wandering over to the gun counter on their way through the mall. I sold thousands of guns to first time gun owners. I engaged in a lot of conversations with people that were either on the fence or anti-gun and managed to change a lot of minds by presenting evidence based information to them. It was a pretty fulfilling job in that regard.

So, for people experienced in the gun community the counter will lack a lot if what we may want in a full service gun store. However it can't be overstated how important the store is for getting more people in to our community in the first place.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    It's what it is, a high-volume box store. It's high volume in both sales and the number of employees that roll through there. Some are MUCH better than others. Talk to a few different ones and if you find an employee that's worth a damn, ask when they work and try to just deal with them.

I worked there behind the gun counter for about 7 years for my summer/weekend/night job when I first started teaching. There was a LOT of turnover and we had a few counter employees that were completely worthless. As someone that eventually came to know a useful amount of gun stuff, it got hard to be civil when coworkers started spouting bad info from a position of authority and refused to listen to new info.

One example was when a middle aged woman came in looking for her first home defense gun. She asked for something under about $600 and asked to see a g19. The counter guy told her 9mm was worthless for defense because it goes too fast and cauterizes the wound as it hits, then spent 10 minutes trying to talk her in to a $1500 1911 because 45s have a guaranteed one-shot stop that will knock the badguy back 5 feet. I felt compelled to cut in and toss the BS flag on that one.

There were some very knowledgeable and hard working people that worked there too though, some being members on the board here. It's quite hit or miss and just what you get in a big box store.

I am glad basspro is here though. Despite the bad that comes with box store stuff is a lot of good for the md gunowner. The volume of sales there is crazy. They're getting lots of guns into the hands of the law abiding here. More importantly is the role they play in getting people to be first time gun owners.

It's a gun shop at a major store within a big mall in Central md. People that are scared or otherwise anxious to stop at a standalone gun store feel more comfortable wandering over to the gun counter on their way through the mall. I sold thousands of guns to first time gun owners. I engaged in a lot of conversations with people that were either on the fence or anti-gun and managed to change a lot of minds by presenting evidence based information to them. It was a pretty fulfilling job in that regard.

So, for people experienced in the gun community the counter will lack a lot if what we may want in a full service gun store. However it can't be overstated how important the store is for getting more people in to our community in the first place.

Great post! :thumbsup:

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan

Spot on post. Bad counter info provided to potential customers aside BPS does normalize the concept of a firearms retailer by placing it alongside more socially acceptable outdoors pursuits which we need more of. There has been a trend over the years of increasing the standards of presentation and service to help this by several other LGS as well which is equally positive (Anglers, Cindy’s, and Freestate) come to mind on smaller scales.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    It's what it is, a high-volume box store. It's high volume in both sales and the number of employees that roll through there. Some are MUCH better than others. Talk to a few different ones and if you find an employee that's worth a damn, ask when they work and try to just deal with them...

...So, for people experienced in the gun community the counter will lack a lot if what we may want in a full service gun store. However it can't be overstated how important the store is for getting more people in to our community in the first place.
    Good post smokey.

Something I learned a long time ago about most specialty stores and especially gun/outdoors stores is you need to do your homework. Know exactly what you are looking for before you hit the pavement. The only thing I need from a counter person is to be able to handle the product I'm thinking of buying. At that point, I will know whether it is a yes or no.

You're not buying a pair of shoes.

Jimgoespewpew

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2021
    Terlingua
    I drove over an hour from my house to the one in Harrisburg yesterday. I put my name on the list and asked the guy how long he thought. He responded I don't know look at all these people. They could each take 15 minutes or 45 minutes. Nice attitude, dick. I knew what I wanted and had my money in hand but there was no one available to hand me a scope from the case so I left empty-handed. The whole system they are using is a joke and doesn't work. I looked over at the ammo thinking maybe I'd at least grab a few boxes so I didn't drive up there for nothing but with the price of 45 at 20 cents more per round then I've been paying locally, they can keep it. I won't be back.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Good post smokey.

Something I learned a long time ago about most specialty stores and especially gun/outdoors stores is you need to do your homework. Know exactly what you are looking for before you hit the pavement. The only thing I need from a counter person is to be able to handle the product I'm thinking of buying. At that point, I will know whether it is a yes or no.

You're not buying a pair of shoes.
    Not at the Bass Pro Arundel Mills gun counter. Weeks of researchng a new rifle scope, video reviews, magazine articles, etc... decided on the Vortex Viper PST gen 1. Went to BPS to see if they had in stock to check it out before buying (before gen 2 when they were still $1,100). Took my number & waited, finally my turn - “what can I do for you sir?”. I want to buy this scope (pointing to it in the case).

Manager lingering nearby overhears - “what are you putting it on?”
    Me: Ruger Precision Rifle in 308.
    Manager: “Nice rifle, have you thought about this Nightforce?”
    Me: Yessir, those are awesome, but don’t want to spend that much.
    Manager: “You can’t go wrong with Nightforce”
    Me: I understand that, but no thank you sir, I’ve done hours of research on this Vortex and I’d like to buy this one.
    Manager: “What about this Leuopold?”
    Me: No thank you, I’m sold on this Vortex. I’ve done my homework, and this is the best balance of performance and price to me.
    Manager: “You can get custom turrets made for this Leuopold”
    Me: No thank you, I appreciate your input but I don’t ned any advice, I’d just like to purchase this Vortex scope and get back to work, I’m here on my lunch break.
    Manager: “What load are you shooting in that RPR?”
    ME: 175 gr Federal Gold Medal Match.....why?
    Manager: Well this Leuopold can custom match your turrets to that load, blah, blah, blah....”
    Me: Sir, I don’t care. I just want to buy this scope, I’ve done exhaustive research already and it seems to be the one to suit my needs.
    Manager: “Well I’m just trying to help...” (I then cut him off, sternly)
    Me: But then I never asked you for help did I? Is there some reason that the man standing here that was originally helping me can’t sell me the scope I want? Again, I fully appreciate your suggestions but I’m not a newbie that asked for help, I already know exactly what I want. If you had these scopes out from behind this glass case I’d have bought it already and been back to my office by now.
    Manager: But, but,....
    Me: I can buy this from Midway or Optics Planet, but I’m here to give you my business. So can you please sell me the product I asked for or do I have to go back to the front and request to see the store manager to get someone else to sell me this product?

He finally gave up and let the original salesman ring up my sale, all the while standing down at the far end of the counter trying to “help” anyone within earshot of him. I’ve had dozens of Bass Pro gun counter encounters go exactly this way. While I love the store, and the ability to see new guns and ammo in person before committing to buying, it’s a giant pain in the ass to beg for proper customer service from the gun counter.

I’ve also gotten fantastic service from the gun counter, several times in fact - BUT WHEN I ASKED FOR IT.

Rant over, got carried away.....

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Not at the Bass Pro Arundel Mills gun counter. Weeks of researchng a new rifle scope, video reviews, magazine articles, etc... decided on the Vortex Viper PST gen 1. Went to BPS to see if they had in stock to check it out before buying (before gen 2 when they were still $1,100). Took my number & waited, finally my turn - “what can I do for you sir?”. I want to buy this scope (pointing to it in the case).

Manager lingering nearby overhears - “what are you putting it on?”
    Me: Ruger Precision Rifle in 308.
    Manager: “Nice rifle, have you thought about this Nightforce?”
    Me: Yessir, those are awesome, but don’t want to spend that much.
    Manager: “You can’t go wrong with Nightforce”
    Me: I understand that, but no thank you sir, I’ve done hours of research on this Vortex and I’d like to buy this one.
    Manager: “What about this Leuopold?”
    Me: No thank you, I’m sold on this Vortex. I’ve done my homework, and this is the best balance of performance and price to me.
    Manager: “You can get custom turrets made for this Leuopold”
    Me: No thank you, I appreciate your input but I don’t ned any advice, I’d just like to purchase this Vortex scope and get back to work, I’m here on my lunch break.
    Manager: “What load are you shooting in that RPR?”
    ME: 175 gr Federal Gold Medal Match.....why?
    Manager: Well this Leuopold can custom match your turrets to that load, blah, blah, blah....”
    Me: Sir, I don’t care. I just want to buy this scope, I’ve done exhaustive research already and it seems to be the one to suit my needs.
    Me: But then I never asked you for help did I? Is there some reason that the man standing here that was originally helping me can’t sell me the scope I want? Again, I fully appreciate your suggestions but I’m not a newbie that asked for help, I already know exactly what I want. If you had these scopes out from behind this glass case I’d have bought it already and been back to my office by now.
    Manager: But, but,....
    Me: I can buy this from Midway or Optics Planet, but I’m here to give you my business. So can you please sell me the product I asked for or do I have to go back to the front and request to see the store manager to get someone else to sell me this product?

He finally gave up and let the original salesman ring up my sale, all the while standing down at the far end of the counter trying to “help” anyone within earshot of him. I’ve had dozens of Bass Pro gun counter encounters go exactly this way. While I love the store, and the ability to see new guns and ammo in person before committing to buying, it’s a giant pain in the ass to beg for proper customer service from the gun counter.

I’ve also gotten fantastic service from the gun counter, several times in fact - BUT WHEN I ASKED FOR IT.

So, you bought the Nightforce?

:) I keed....

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The typical MDS'er isn't the typical gunbuyer , particularly recently with the large numbers of first time buyers/ owners . The point of sale counterperson plays an important role .

MDS'er might say something to effect of " Hi , I want to compare a P365XL vs a Shield Plus " . Not uncommon for total newcomer still conteplating the concept to say " I want something for protection " , " I want something to keep in the house just in case " , " what's the least expensive thing that would work " . ( They could be excessively thrifty , or actually in tight economic Situiation .) They frequently aren't even fixed between handgun , shotgun , or rifle .

And yes , we not uncommonly field inquiries like this at the MSI booth . ( And it is a wise thing for them to seek advice from an impartial Educational Org , that has no financial stake . )

Yes , as Gun Cranks we enjoy debating what is Most Best- est . A good counterperson should present options that are at least reasonably viable for intended purposes generally , and reasonably plausible for that individual .

Or , a prospective first timer might mistakenly think they want something pretty much unsuitable . I see this a lot when they think they want something very small for home defense , apparently making the leap that something small and inoffensive Looking translates into easy to use . I then try to explain about physics , that they have much more recoil , and more difficult to shoot effectively . I try to point out the default advantages of medium sized handguns , unless there are overwhelming reasons to go small ( or extra large ).

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter

Manager lingering nearby overhears - “what are you putting it on?”...

SNIP

...I’ve also gotten fantastic service from the gun counter, several times in fact - BUT WHEN I ASKED FOR IT.

Sweet baby jebus!

Maybe you need to work on your "don't f**k with me" look. Mine's pretty good.

:D

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018

Big snip of your post.
    The first guy that showed me the rifle I wanted, told me no less than 3 times its was not the rifle I wanted. Once he gave it to me we talked about it. He was not the guy who did my paperwork thou.

@AlBeight

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    Okay first sorry for a few replies in a row. and second this thread went longer than I thought it would.

I asked the guy if he was a member here, he said no. There was a salesman who I spoke to for a second who was a member here, but he did not reply like he was here a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom