• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    ask at www.doublegunshop.com Darryl or one of the other Baker guys will have your answers.
    With the F in the SN it is a later Fulton produced gun which isnt as desireable as the earlier guns but its still a nice American classic in a small gauge which adds to value.

jac43k

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2010
    Taneytown, MD
    What little info I have found about Baker Gun Company, doesn't look like they made a 20GA, so gun must have been marked wrong, but still researching.

James

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    The F in the serial number denotes that it is a later model, made by Crescent Arms of Folsom, Massachusetts.

The "F" is for Folsom.

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    so, I just dug out my old H & D Folsom Arms catalog.
    The Baker Batavia Leader was made in 12 gauge with 26 28 30 or 32 inch barrels, in 16 gauge with 26 28 or 30 inch barrels and 20 gauge with either 26 or 28 inch barrels for $35.00 or $49.00 with ejectors.
    They also list a Baker Black Beauty Secial for about $20 more. The Crescent guns are about $10 less than the Batavia.
    As a comparison on the next page a Parker VH cost $64.50 and a Browning Auto 5 was $61.00
    The Bakers were good guns just not at a level with Smith Parker Ithaca & Fox. More like Stevens guns.
    The catalog isnt dated but I would guess late teen early twenties. It has everything from baseball equipment to ice skates in addition to gun and hunting stuff

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    Thats a pretty rare gun as the 20's are un common and at $10.00 for the ejectors I doubt they were added to many guns.
    A single barrel Crescent cost $10.00 in the same catalog.
    Make sure your ammo is low pressure or you will end up cracking the wood if nothing else. RST or Poly Wad make great low pressure "Vintagers" ammo and are happy to mail you a flat.

jac43k

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2010
    Taneytown, MD
    I sent an e-mail to Chris at w w w.bakercollectors.com/
    reply below;
    The Baker Gun & Forging Company was bought by H. & D. Folsom Arms in 1919. After Folsom bought the company, they introduced a 20ga. The F in the serial number indicates it is a Folsom manufactured Baker.
    You will need to check the chamber to determine what gauge it actually is.
    Good luck with it, and enjoy it.

James

jac43k

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2010
    Taneytown, MD
    I aslo e-mailed Daryl at bakercollectors.com/

reply below;
    Baker Gun and Forging Company did not make 20 gauges.
    They sold the Gunmaking portion of their company to H D Folsom in 1919.
    Folsom did make guns marked Baker Gun company and did make the Batavia Leader model in 20 gauge.

James

jac43k

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2010
    Taneytown, MD
    Now I have another question, middle picture left center there are some letters or someone's initials? looks like H77 or LLH? Thanks for all the help.

James

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Serial number 25433F was mfg in 1923. Yours is way lower than that. Folsom mfg began in 1919.....I would assume yours to be a 1919-1920.

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    LLH is the Belgian company that made the barrels. Go to www.doublegunshop.com and look up posts by the Reverend Drew House and you will find more info on barrel manufacturers than you will believe still exists 100 years later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom