• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kshaw

Nov 21, 2012
    Gaithersburg, MD
    What kind of battery life is everyone getting on a Holosun HS507K red dot? Holosun advertised up to a 50,000 hour life. My red dot was purchased last February and was already dead when I tried to activate it at the range today.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    3 years. Still works. I don't carry it though. FWIW, it gets activated 2-3x a day in my nightstand drawer.

ETA: So that seems odd. Maybe bad luck with the battery? As an aside, I feel like batteries lately are hot garbage in general. Not sure what's changed, but I feel like the shelf life for most has diminished.

Last edited:

Sack

Dec 17, 2014
    WV
    The battery that comes from Holosun is garbage, just replace it with a quality battery and it will last. My battery was dead when I opened it up.

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    Keep in mind that manufacturers base the battery life for their devices on specific settings. When advertising their longest battery life, they are based on the most conservative device settings. (i.e. lowest brightness, limited time device is on, only the dot reticle used, etc.)

A Holosun RDS on an EDC will, likely, get less life from battery than one on a gun that only goes to range, because the shake awake feature may be activated by various body movements of the person carrying the firearm, numerous times per day.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    In my experience they last about a year at best on a usable setting.

Scott Jedlinski suggests you replace the battery once a year regardless of the manufacturers claims.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I have a green one. I shoot the gun once a month but it’s on my safe door and is activated every time I open the door which is almost every day. It’s the original battery and still runs fine after a year and a half

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    What kind of battery life is everyone getting on a Holosun HS507K red dot? Holosun advertised up to a 50,000 hour life. My red dot was purchased last February and was already dead when I tried to activate it at the range today.
    I have the 407k in green and it lasts a long time. I've never had one actually run out because I replace the factory ones as soon as I buy them and replace them about every 6 months. Batteries are cheap and the side-load feature is specifically so you can do this easy.

If you are using a circle-dot option, it'll drain the battery much faster. Imagine the how many center dots it would take to make that circle and divide battery life by that number. It's extra bad on the acss Vulcan options.

So, change your batteries more often. A year is too long.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I have the 407k in green and it lasts a long time. I've never had one actually run out because I replace the factory ones as soon as I buy them and replace them about every 6 months. Batteries are cheap and the side-load feature is specifically so you can do this easy.

If you are using a circle-dot option, it'll drain the battery much faster. Imagine the how many center dots it would take to make that circle and divide battery life by that number. It's extra bad on the acss Vulcan options.

So, change your batteries more often. A year is too long.
    It does have auto off but I've gotten this battery life with the circle and dot on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom