• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Just picked this one up....definitely a niche category of C&R but I've always been fascinated by the battle damaged guns, especially WWII Japanese. This is a Type 26 revolver in 9mm rimmed Japanese, and it's a pretty early one being a three digit serial number.

Looks to have taken a hard shrapnel or bullet hit, would have likely put a world of hurt on whoever was carrying it at the time. What's really cool is that the hit crunched one of the rounds that was in the cylinder, and it's still there. The cylinder is warped from the hit and won't rotate, and a chunk of the extractor was broken off as well. Condition overall is a little "worn", but I think it goes nicely with the damage!

Attachments

• T261.jpg
      T261.jpg
      89.9 KB · Views: 389
    • T263.jpg
      T263.jpg
      45.3 KB · Views: 376
    • T266.jpg
      T266.jpg
      69.7 KB · Views: 372
    • T264.jpg
      T264.jpg
      74.3 KB · Views: 378
    • T262.jpg
      T262.jpg
      85.8 KB · Views: 372

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    ... it would be in Japanese... but "ouch" probably translates well :)

That is super-cool and a nice early S/N.
    Can you get the sideplate open or is the frame damage enough to interfere?

Side plate opens but takes some effort. Gun is all matching which is nice. Like so many of these, someone did try to pry the sideplate open at one point not knowing how it worked and left some nice scratches, but given the uniqueness of this one I'm ok overlooking it.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Pacific theater was by FAR the fiercest and most awful place to serve in WW2. It also gets the least coverage. I like to think my Grandfather could have helped damage that revolver. :)

Sharp

Feb 21, 2015
    Calvert
    I guess if holstered that would have been a lefty? That is a really cool piece.

My guess was that the owner would have been a righty and proved to be significantly less resilient to bullets. Now that's an ouch. Interesting find!

Lloyd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2012
    FEMA Camp
    Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Pacific theater was by FAR the fiercest and most awful place to serve in WW2. It also gets the least coverage. I like to think my Grandfather could have helped damage that revolver. :)

Doubt any Veteran of the ETO would agree. It would be hard to measure, but at most, it is sure to be a toss up. The Germans were better trained and better equipped, and had some of the finest leadership war has produced. The German NCO corp created the model of modern small unit tactics backed by their strong NCO Corp, but the War finally caught up with them.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Doubt any Veteran of the ETO would agree. It would be hard to measure, but at most, it is sure to be a toss up. The Germans were better trained and better equipped, and had some of the finest leadership war has produced. The German NCO corp created the model of modern small unit tactics backed by their strong NCO Corp, but the War finally caught up with them.

The sheer barbarism of the Japs coupled with being on an island sometimes no larger than Hartmiller, with pretty much no drinkable water, in 100+ heat and humidity, amongst venomous creatures, and booby traps is what I based my statements on. No doubt everyone had it awful and saw horrendous things. But based on the dozens of books I've read on all the different fronts, I would way rather be in Europe where I can shelter in a building, and maybe get a liberty in Paris instead of a coral foxhole surrounded by dead from both sides, bloating in the tropical heat. When I worked with WW2 vets for a few years a lot of the guys who served in the ETO always said at least they weren't in the Pacific. Either way, hell is hell. Not taking anything away from the ETO guys, those Germans were one of the most fierce Army's this world has ever seen. I would just rather face them than have to turn over every rock on a ******** island to find every single last fanatically suicidal Jap and try not to have nature kill me at the same time. I think of the guys in the Bulge surrounded and the guys on the Canal cut off with no support and it really is sobering. The Greatest Generation really had BALLS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom