• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 38super

Jan 8, 2016
    Montgomery County
    Stevens 620's make very good home defense guns. They are well made and slam fire. Easy to take down for storage or cleaning. I have had several of these over the years. If you look for the store copies of these like wards they can be found for around 150.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Winchester 370 20ga youth model, picked up from a board member for $80. Spent $20 refinishing it. Total invested $100 (well and like 5hrs over 4 days)

Shoots great, slipped on a 1" recoil pad to give it the right LOP for me. I can shoot high teens in trap with it (which isn't nearly as good as the 20 or so I average with my 870 12ga). 5.25lbs makes it fun to carry in the woods stalking squirrels.

Attachments

• IMG_2339.JPG
      IMG_2339.JPG
      23.6 KB · Views: 418

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Last weekend a shooting buddy let me shoot a couple of this Defensive Shotguns, both 20 gauge, and both 870's. Liked that they were both considerably lighter and smaller than 12 gauge; much lower recoil too.

Maybe it's just me, but in a hurry, or under a little stress, I find it a bit challenging to switch between running Mossberg and Remington shotguns. Even though it's subtle, the minor differences, like action release, and safety locations make me hesitate if switching and not paying enough attention. For a defensive shotgun, working it should be second nature; I'm not there yet, have to manipulate either a minute or so (dry), each time first, before I can do it reliably and smoothly at a decent speed.

Me too, but I own an 870 and only borrowed a 500 once. Honestly a pump would likely be my HD gun if I wasn't reaching for my AR pistol. Since it is, likely the only pump I will own will be an 870 because I don't want using different ones to trip me up when my life or my family's lives could depend on it. Won't stop me from getting other shotguns, but only way I might consider another pump that isn't an 870 would be if I can get an old Ithaca. Just too classic not to own one some day (my wife's uncle owns one. He may want to part with it some day).

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Just picked up a RIA M5 chrome, I'm impressed very nice smooth shotgun. Got it slightly used but retail on these is about $220.

New truck gun.

Attachments

• IMG_4874.jpg
      IMG_4874.jpg
      38.7 KB · Views: 398

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Are there any (new) shotguns with full extended tube, and a short (aka youth) stock?

Any gauge.

Seems like none I've found with short stock have factory extended tube, so only option seems to be to get the full sized gun then pay another $70~ and swap out for the compact stock. Argggg.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Are there any (new) shotguns with full extended tube, and a short (aka youth) stock?

Any gauge.

Seems like none I've found with short stock have factory extended tube, so only option seems to be to get the full sized gun then pay another $70~ and swap out for the compact stock. Argggg.

The RIA I posted above is close to a youth stock, haven't measured it but much closer than a 590A1. Hunting for an extended mag to be flush with the barrel, that would make it a much better truck/kayak gun.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I almost bought that Chinese copy of the 870 but already had two Mossberg pumps, a 500 Combo and a Persuader 8 shot. I can almost play in this thread with a $225 Hatfield semi auto. Best fit I have had in a standard shotgun, actually the only shotguns I have ever owned or shot. It runs 100% and is a hoot to shoot.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    At the Harrisburg show I saw several police trade-in 870's for $250. And Mossberg 500's are in most pawn shops for cheap, too. Might have to cut off a Polychoke but oh well. Toss on some spray paint, and there's a home defense gun.

My concern about the imported guns is that they may be hard to get parts for. "Modeled after the 870" is not necessarily the same as an 870. Sometimes it's better to spend an extra nickel or two.

microstar22

Apr 24, 2016
    I recently purchased a shotgun and shot one for the first time. It was a cheap Maverick 88 in 18.5" barrel. I think it was $200 flat out the door after tax. Shooting it last weekend was an awesome and somewhat painful experience. At first I started on target shells and then moved to the #4 that I would use in a defense situation. I realized how unforgiving the stock pad is on the gun and will need to see about getting something better.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    ^^ One could remove the stock pad before placing the slip on pad on.

Also too long a length of pull could result in one getting belted by the recoil. Been there, done that.
    Bought a Mossberg 500 Persuader/Defender with synthetic stock. Use a miter box to cutoff an inch
    of stock after removing the buttpad. Now I just have to blend the butt pad to the stock. High hits
    and inconsistent slug groups all went away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom