• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SlowShooter

SeaWaves not TigerStripes
    Dec 28, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hello all,

Many moons ago, when I just started shooting and collecting guns, I bought many guns that look cool and cheap at gun shows. One day, I saw a French gun with all the goodies for $250 and it is in .308, one of the most popular rounds out there, so I took it home that day. I did not know any thing about the gun (history, value, maintenance, issues…)

A few years later, when computer and internet getting more popular, I searched the net and found out that the MAS 49/56 I bought is not a collectable item (.308 conversion), and full of troubles, not just having a sewer pipe for the bore. Time to time, I thought I should find a way to get rid of it.

More years passing by, my shooting skill and my gun tinkering were getting better. I learned by myself how to deal with gun’s malfunctions by trials and error corrections. I pulled the MAS 49/56 out of the gun display and tried to do something about it. First, I tried to clean the bore. I did not remember how many bore brushes I destroyed and how many jars of elbow grease I emptied. The bore stayed dark as hell. A bout the FTF and FTE, I did not experience this because, honestly, I did not know a place to shoot a rifle at that time (it took me more than 10 yrs to find a rifle range after I already have 3 dozens rifles. It is hard to learn everything by yourself.) Any how, I heard about the weak spring, the after market gas regulator, the rough chamber so… I fixed what is cheap and what I could. I replaced the recoil spring and inspected the chamber. It looked good enough. Back to the display it went.

Five years ago, one of the former colleagues organized a get-together at a public gun range in Frederick, MD, near the airpark. I came to the even that day and came every weekend after that for the next 2 years until I found AGC in Marriottsville, MD (one of my shooting buddy I met at a gunshow brought me to the range). There, I shot my MAS 49/56 for the first time with Brown Bear .308s (with the bore like that I do not think it deserves anything better.) My heat was out of my chest and my shooting glasses were clouded with steam; but things went great, no FTF/FTE just poor accuracy (poor bore, poor ammo, and poor shooter). I smiled ear to ear that afternoon.

Recently, I am searching for a MAS 49 on the internet and I still see a lot of new threads about the MAS 49/56s (now 1 of my beloved rifles). Younger men want to learn about them especially the ones in .308 like mine. With my surprise, a lot of BSs about the MAS 49/56 in .308 are still hanging around (thanks to copy and paste function). Quite a lot of “well educated and well informed” gentlemen out there still passing old information to the next generation and scare the hell out of them, while the true is some new surplus toys needed to be tweaked a bit to make them operate smoother. If someone wants to play with surplus firearm he/she must have some abilities/skills to overcome minor issues/mishaps and have good knowledge about ammo and different kind of actions operation (reloading taught me a lot). MAS 49/56 in .308 and CAI are not alone for being bad mouthed, M16 rifles still have poor reputation compared to other rifles even though they are still going strong and others are now obsolete. I remember at one time, people were cursing the PSLs but themselves for feeding them the wrong kind of 7.62X54R ammo.

Listen folks, now a day things are getting worse, we Marylanders are limited to our rights/freedom. The list of semi-auto rifles allowed for the new shooters is short (this does not effect old people with long history of gun collection like me, but I am still not happy a bout it. Please use your votes to fight back.) That make MAS 49/56 one of the best semi-auto out there especially with the .308 version because non-corrosive steel case .308s are still cheap and available (I just bought 500 more from SGammo). It is very accurate with heavier barrel than M1A, FAL, CETME… It is also quite easy to scope (If McCann still in business). My advice to people who want to buy the .308 version of MAS 49/56 is … go ahead and get one while you can. If you encounter some hiccups, talk to the guys next lanes at the range, they will help you out. I believe that all issues to all .308 versions of the rifles are now already ironed out. People who own the gun now already know how to please it. There are a few things you need to know after you get one:

- Some MAS 49/56 are parkerized to thick in the action. Sand it out, it may help. Some people keep shooting until it smoothes out by itself.
    - Polish the chamber if it required or just use steel case ammo. Mine loves steel case.
    - Some time, FTE because gas port has blockage (surplus gun, what else you expect). Clean the gas port. Ask for help if you are not sure.
    - Replace the recoil spring. It is cheap, when you find evident the ejection damage the case (too strong). Make a good habit inspecting your empty cases.
    - This is NATO gun so only use NATO rounds. The Bears and the Wolfs are NATO spec.
    - The bore is parkerized, keep shooting, it will get better. Mine does.
    - FTF could be happened by a poor adjusted mag. The 7.5 mag and the .308 mag are different. Look for 308 marker and adjust the mag lips accordingly. I have done this a lot for other guns too.
    - I have not heard of any incident related to an MAS49/56 in .308. No one lost an arm or an eye so far.

Now you can enjoy your MAS 40/56 in the cheap and non corrosive .308. Personally I hate to use corrosive ammo like surplus 7.5 French in a gas gun even they are as accurate as 7.5 Swiss in my MAS36. The exceptions are my CETME, SAIGA, PSL; they either don’t have gas port or get easy access gas port for cleaning.

The last thing I want to bring up here is I want to do a little survey on the MAS 49/56 in .308. Please participate it if you currently have one in your procession. Please do not do it for your friends, ex-spouse or for the guys you just met on the web.

What is your latest approval for MAS 49/56 in .308 ? What say you!

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    I have a MAS 49/56 in .308. The recoil spring is the main issue in cycling along with gas pressure. Since the rifle has an adjustable gas system in the form of the grenade launcher, that is one way to adjust it. Some cut down the grenade sight and use as a gas adjustment lever.

For the recoil spring, a recoil spring from a G3 cut down is perfect. $7 and snip down until the rifle cycles well. Nice cheap mod.

Matt

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    The problems with the conversions to .308 were hardly people doing cut-and-paste. One smith in PA practically made a living fixing them. To be fair many were converted correctly and some were built .308 but they are in the minority. Also, today, it is much easier to find non-corrosive 7.5 French than surplus stuff.

Overall, it is a good, well designed rifle.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I bought one of the very first MAS 49/56s in original 7.5 French to hit the market from Lou and was initially disappointed about the bore condition. Didn't make sense to me to rebuild a rifle with a dark bore. Then I found out that the French did not bother to block the bore during parkerizing when refurbishing. These rifles do need to be shot and will eventually improve in performance and appearance as the parkerizing is worn away.
    The French did build approx. 200 MAS 49/56 in 7.62 NATO and a tiny number were imported by Sarco (believe it was 4 in all). They were not conversions but built specifically for that cartridge with unique barrels, magazines and bolts. By all accounts they functioned perfectly. Saw someone try and pass off a copy of one on Gun Broker last year, converted from a 7.5 mm rifle but the SN gave it away.
    Have to wonder how this would have turned out had Century done it correctly from the start. Then again, would anyone have been willing to pay more for the additional labor and materials to do it right? Funny thing is that the few MAS36s Century converted to 7.62 have a much better reputation but you just don't see that many of them out there. Gotta wonder how many were sold in the first place.

jkeiler

Mar 25, 2013
    Bowie
    I have a MAS 49/56 in .308. The recoil spring is the main issue in cycling along with gas pressure. Since the rifle has an adjustable gas system in the form of the grenade launcher, that is one way to adjust it. Some cut down the grenade sight and use as a gas adjustment lever.

Isn't the grenade launcher an issue now? The one's I've seen on the internet almost all have grenade launchers. Are these currently legal in PRMD?

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    I remember those when they first popped up at the gunshows. The word out there was they couldn't handle the 308/7.62mm safely. That was my reason for not buying one.

SlowShooter

Dec 28, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    Because I have only 1 rifle so I can not speak for all but I believe that most people out there who have issues with the .308 MAS49/56 because they use the wrong ammo. It must be light ball and load as close as NATO specs. The spring could be another problem that why I replaced it first thing after I got it. Poorly modified magazine for the .308 round is also a problem and it could happen a lot due to this task was done manually without test fire enough.

Adjustable gas port is a luxury item and it is not necessary because steel case Russian made ammo are easy to find and proven very reliable in MAS 49/56 .038. I shot more than 350 rounds through mine without any failure. I have read many testimonies saying the same on other forums.

I have 400 surplus 7.5 French left in my stock. Thanks to the quick decision a year ago before they all vanished quite fast. These rounds came from machine gun links but my MAS36 confirms that they are as accurate as Swiss’s GP11 rounds. I save these only for my bold gun because I don’t want to clean the gas port after shooting. I heard that the gas port and the gas tube are made with stainless steel but leaving a coat of corrosive salt for along time in there is not a good idea. Remember it is stainless not rust-less.

With all the knowledge helping to deal with MAS49/56 in .308 issues, we have no reason to stay away from a fun gun which consumes cheap easy to find ammo. I am planning to make a new stock and modify the hand guard for my gun. I picture that in SVD configuration it would function a lot better; even compared to the real SVD.

Thanks for your responses.

SlowShooter

Dec 28, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    My MAS semiauto collection picture

It's been awhile since the last post. My MAS semiauto rifle collection has grown a bit, so I think it's about time to let others know how much I still love my MAS49/56 in .308/7.62 NATO. Well, I often show up at the range with the .308/7.62 version that most people thought that I have only the MAS49/56 and a Mosin Nagant. That says it all.

In the attached picture from top to bottom:
    1. MAS 44: a reversed engineer of the MAS 38-39 (trial prototype rifles before WW2 started). These rifles were use to recapture Viet-Nam after WW2.
    2. MAS 49 (Syrian Contract while the French Army was evaluating the rifle).
    3. MAS 49 (French Army version: A good number of these rifle were sent to Viet-Nam as DMR ( designated Marksman Rifle).
    4. MAS 49/59: Modernized version of MAS 49 (similar to the M14 and the Beretta BM-56 derived from M1 Garand). M14 and BM-56 have very short service life while MAS 49/56 rifles were use by French Army and the Legionnaires until late 80s.
    5. My MAS 49/56 in .308/7.62 NATO: Thanks to CAI, This is my fun gun currently. Look at all kind of ammo I can find for the gun. Other MAS 44-49 rifles are just wall hangers.

Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• MAS 44_49 family.jpg
      MAS 44_49 family.jpg
      97 KB · Views: 4,026
    Last edited:

SlowShooter

Dec 28, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    How does it compared to other Main Battle rifles I have?

How does it compared to other Main Battle rifles I have? My MAS 49/46 in .308/7.62 NATO does not require sandbags or bipots. About 5'.8" @165#, I can shoot offhand standing all day, everyday. That's why it's the most fun gun in my collection. For SHTF, I grab the AR carbine (M4 style).

Attachments

• Battle rifles 1.jpg
      Battle rifles 1.jpg
      97.3 KB · Views: 4,065
    Last edited:

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    I would love to get a MAS 49/56 in 7.5 just because I'm a sucker for originality. However, if the price was right, I would take a 7.62 version. Nice photos!

SlowShooter

Dec 28, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    Chooks9, currently, the .308 version costs about $500 and the 7.5 costs about $550 to 600 on Gunbroker. The funny thing is, it costs atleast $200 to convert from one calipber to another. For historic artifact gun collection, original equipment is a must. For biggest bang for the buck and fun factor, the .308 version always make sense. That why I have both. As Marylanders, we do not have many choices now a day. Thanks for looking and comment.

Last edited:

tngunnut

Nov 8, 2014
    Thanks!!!

Thanks so much for updating your post, Slow Shooter! I have wanted a MAS 49/56 in .308 since reading an article about them about 1 1/2 years ago. I look for them occasionally but as you might know there aren't a whole ton of them out there. I knew of the so-called issues but I figured that I could probably muddle my way thru if I ever got my hands on one. I have a deep affection for the old military rifles and I actually enjoy the satisfaction of getting one to run the way it should. ( Lots of practice cuz I have about 6 or 7 Century pieces!) I have found that if you are determined and patient you can get any gun to work right. I also have found that Centuries bad rap is not always as well earned as some would have you believe!
    Anyway.. I finally snatched one off of one of the auction sites last night. Something told me to take a look when I got home from work and lo and behold there was one available with the auction closing in about 5 hrs. Well I placed a bid at my top price of $500 and to my surprise I now own it! I have spent some time today researching the issues and thus I came to your very informative set of posts. Believe me I have it logged in to recheck this thread if my new best friend has any issues!!

SlowShooter

Dec 28, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    tngunnut,

Congrats!

I came to the AGC range with my MAS 49/56 in .308 this morning. I pinked the 12" steele gong 90% of the time (@100yrd) using wolf 140 SP standing off hand with the help of the Bushnell TRS-25 red-dot sight (this could be done with iron sight also). This ammo is cheap and not very accurate but good enough to draw attention to your weapon. People are surprise that this cheap ugly carbine could do this all day.

I hope you enjoy this gun as much as I do. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate.

Last edited:
    Feb 28, 2013
    How does it compared to other Main Battle rifles I have? My MAS 49/46 in .308/7.62 NATO does not require sandbags or bipots. About 5'.8" @165#, I can shoot offhand standing all day, everyday. That why it's the most fun gun in my collection. For SHTF, I grab the AR carbine (M4 style).

I kinda like that bottom one.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Outstanding collection! I think you know now just how hard it is to find a French MAS 49 with or w.o. a GL. And the MAS 44s are getting pricey, haven't seen one of them sell for under $800 recently. Think I'm going to have to renew my AGC range badge (been too busy to hit the range yet this year) and take out one of the MAS auto loaders for a bit of fun. They are really fantastic MBRs.

SlowShooter

Dec 28, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    You are right about the price mawkie. Now a day, MAS 44 and MAS 49 in very good condition are north of $850 plus S/H and transfer fee if you don't have FFL-03. I once found an old advertisement in the 80s that shown the prices for MAS 44 and MAS 49 lower than MAS 49/56 in 7.5 French. I believe that the MAS 4Xs will get rarer because many shooters are trying too hard to "FIX THEM" and to make them look better. I love them in original forms.

You should bring back your MASs to the AGC. Currently, there are only 2 guys with the MAS 4Xs at the AGC range. My good friend Emo86 and I. I love to see more MAS owners there. For $500 we should buy an MAS 49/56 instead of an SKS.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Can't argue with you on the MAS 49/56 vs SKS. I've got one nice early 50's vintage Tula SKS but have multiple MAS semi autos for a reason. Love shooting my Syrian MAS 49. The MAS 44 and MAS 49 w.o. GL stay buried in the safe.
    When I go to the range I usually have a "theme day". So I'll pack 2-3 rifles with something in common. Perhaps it'll be Finn Day, FN 49 Day, US .22 Trainer Day, etc. Will have to try and coordinate for a French Theme Day and fill the line with MAS 4Xs!

SlowShooter

Dec 28, 2011
    Silver Spring, MD
    "Theme day"...that what I am trying to do. Sometimes, when I arrived at the range and just stepped out of my SUV, my friends just knew what I have for the day.
    Know

tngunnut

Nov 8, 2014
    MAS .308 survey

:thumbsup::thumbsup:I wanted to come back and add my vote to the survey as a big thumbs up! This thing is built like a tank! It seemed awfully heavy at first but it is nicely balanced. The extra weight make recoil almost non-existent. So far, I have put 200 steel case Tula rounds downrange without any issues so I am very pleased!
    I did have an interesting field strip as I checked the thing out before heading to the range. As you guys know field strip is very easy so that was the first plus. The recoil spring had already been replaced and the chamber looked good so that was another plus. I had already taken the bolt, carrier and firing pin apart and sprayed them with foaming cleaner then set them aside. When it came time to put it all back together I noticed that the firing pin did not just drop through the bolt as it should. It took me a while to figure out that someone had bubba'd a firing pin spring and the spring was stuck inside the bolt!
    Getting it out took some experimentation and I finally succeeded with the always trusty custom paper clip. Not sure if it would have fired at all with that setup but it certainly would not have been very reliable and possibly slam fired. Good reason to always check things out before locking and loading. Anyway, like I said great gun and thanks for all the good info on this thread.

Sirex