• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Spotlighting with a tube attached weapons light would seem to be sufficient at home defense ranges, although point-n-shoot should be pretty easy even without.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Of the long guns I have for HD, the sole shotgun has rifle sights with fibre optic inserts and is set up for speed loaders. It is significantly longer than the carbines I usually use for this application. I'd prefer a red-dot sight over the iron sights for this application.

RebelYell

Aug 30, 2013
    Southern Maryland
    Bead. I would use rifle sights/GRS on a designated slug gun like I use for hunting deer, but would prefer a bead for HD situations. I recently finished a Mossberg 590A1 project and used an XS Sight Systems Big Dot bead sight. It is a large bead sight with a tritium insert for low light conditions. Simple install and pretty cost effective given the night sight capability.

Attachments

• IMG_20150406_212929.jpg
      IMG_20150406_212929.jpg
      41.2 KB · Views: 608

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    KISS, keep it simple stupid, nothing added to a home defense shotgun to fumble with, snag, interfere, no collapsable stock to collapse, just a bead is all you need and 8 rounds in the tube.

Attachments

• DSCN0440.jpg
      DSCN0440.jpg
      108.2 KB · Views: 750

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    My question to you, ScarCQB, is have YOU tried the different iterations of shotgun sights on multiple targets with defense loads? What works for me or Augie may not work for you. There's a defensive shotgun class being held this summer by one of the IPs here up in PA.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Same as a rifle built for close range IMO. Large ghost ring/wide notch and night sight post up front, or a forward mounted micro dot that can be left on for years(like an Aimpoint T1). Faster than a bead, better for targets and practice at longer ranges, and better for the managed recoil slugs or really tight patterning buchshot I prefer for defense. You can use the hotspot of a flashlight, point shoot, or so on, but I like the availability of sights, and use them when I can, much easier to translate practice with them. I shoot my share of clays with beads, and they are probably sufficient, but I'm used to having the gun already mounted before yelling "pull". I can line up a dot or blade faster and more precisely, especially when I just woke up and grabbed the gun in the dark, and in the short time until I line the sights up, I'm just on equal footing with everyone else that uses a bead or nothing.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Bead. I would use rifle sights/GRS on a designated slug gun like I use for hunting deer, but would prefer a bead for HD situations. I recently finished a Mossberg 590A1 project and used an XS Sight Systems Big Dot bead sight. It is a large bead sight with a tritium insert for low light conditions. Simple install and pretty cost effective given the night sight capability.

Is that sight glued on?

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    "One yard of spread of spread for every yard from the muzzle."

My experience has indicated rifle sights are a definite advantage over a bead with slugs, shot and buckshot loads. I tried a dot, not crazy about it - in low light your eye will more responsive to the dot than the vague outline of a perp. Aimed fire is good in this case.

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    Is that sight glued on?

I have the same XS Sight on my 590 A1 and it is held in place by JB weld. I currently have over 500 rounds of buckshot and some slugs and nothing is loose.

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    I prefer ghost ring and fiber. you don't have to use it, but its there if you want to. It has proven extremely effective in 2 and 3 gun competitions for me so I feel confident in using this system. also, you're watching to much tv if you don't think you need to aim a shotgun. (talking self defense scenarios here not clays)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom