• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    My question to you, ScarCQB, is have YOU tried the different iterations of shotgun sights on multiple targets with defense loads? What works for me or Augie may not work for you. There's a defensive shotgun class being held this summer by one of the IPs here up in PA.

I have three shotguns. Benelli m4, Remington 870,mossberg 590. All have ghost ring sights.

I tried bead sights but tend to hit high at 15 yards.

For now , I've taken it a step further. All three shotguns have some kind of red dot/ holo sight. I'm partial to the lucid red dot or eotech. The circle dot reticle allows for quick target acquisition and accuracy for slugs at extended ranges.

I know it's kinda like busy. Or mall ninja-ish. But my eyes are getting older. I have to resort to cheating at times.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I tried bead sights but tend to hit high at 15 yards.

That's because you were pointing, not aiming, the shotgun. The same thing happened to some of the guys shooting at Langhorne a few years ago, they mounted the shotgun like they were clay shooting and shot over the target.

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    I'm going to say ghost ring or rifle sights. I've used and trained on rifle sights for a shotgun and prefer them over head sights. In my training classes I always see the people who use ghost rings or rifle sights consistently shoot better then people with bead sights. The instructors keep saying, put some sights on that gun Currency I have head sights and when I have to qualiy at 50 yards it's a challenge. I never had a problem when I use rifle sights. A shotgun is not just a point and shoot firearm, it's actually a complicated weapon that requires focus and training. But it can be devastating firearm when used correctly. There ammo is heavy and the firearm only holds 4-9 shells.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    The nice thing about red dots is that it gives the shotgun extended range capability. I can consistently hit 6" plates at 100 yards using slugs and an Eotech.

Last time I had to use a long gun for defense. The bad guys were between 15-35 yards. I did choose a rifle for this instance. I would not feel confident hitting targets accurately with bead sights at these varying distances. I would definitely be more accurate with ghost ring or a red dot.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I experience the same thing. In 3 gun with the 20" Persuader, I shoot high using its bead sight, just over the target at short range and with slugs at 85 yards on tombstone targets. Once I found the range, it was a hit every time at 85. Confidence in the gun/shooter combo was not good.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I cheat..... From the shooters POV.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      86.2 KB · Views: 193

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    SCARCQB, my curiosity has gotten the best of me my friend. Under what scenario would you see yourself picking up a shotgun rather than one of those nifty repeater-type rifles you have available to you? Given the level of redundancy you exhibit in your preparations, I'm surprised you'd be happy with a low capacity weapon like a shotgun.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    If given the choice. I'd still pick up an Ar or a bullpup such as a Tavor - AUG . But the combat shotgun is growing on me. It is extremely intimidating and more fun to shoot than an AR.

Even if it's not my primary choice for a defensive firearm, there is no harm in training and getting proficient in the platform. I may have to use a shotgun in a defensive role just in case it's the only option I have.( I work overseas in many bad places , I may have to use what's locally available. )

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Bead.

And yes , I have shot slug *groups* with a bead only , and been reasonably close to the group size otherwise expected with smoothbore. The potential fly in the ointment is wether or not that group happens to be POA/POI. Some shotguns were, others needed 2.5 feet of Ky windage @50 yds. Moot question with buckshot.

I will admit to pressing smoothbore slug gun into HD , despite the rifle sights

In case you haven't heard yet, *Aim low with Buckshot* . If you aim at somthing like third shirt button, or triangle like you would for a precise handgun shot , some of the buck pellets could high due to pattern spread. If you aim somewhere between belly button and belt buckle, the vertical spread should be all on the body.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    But most of us here train for the possibility of rescuing a Victoria secret model being held hostage by some crazy jihad dude. Only precise head shots count. :)

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I shot trap as a kid with a bead sight. When I equipped up for 3-gun I did not like the bead after some practice. I liked the ghost ring idea but wanted something bigger, and closer to an archery type target so went with the HiViz Triviz turkey sight. Now I have transitioned to the Burris FastFire III.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    "And yes , I have shot slug *groups* with a bead only , and been reasonably close to the group size otherwise expected with smoothbore. The potential fly in the ointment is wether or not that group happens to be POA/POI. "

I have done the same...groups were good but not where they belonged.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    Fiber optic sights or beads run off of ambient light. The brighter the light, the brighter the sight. The dimmer the light...and so on. You pull up a brightly lit red dot in dim ambient light, the glare is gonna F with your sight picture. In the case of HP, you don't always have time to reo that dot down. Just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom