• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MeatGrinder

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2013
    MoCo, Eastern edge
    Where do you want to go? I have hunted bear in the spring in New Brunswick Canada and in the fall in Maine. The big outdoor show in Harrisburg will have a ton of outfitters to talk with.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    The outdoor show will have a lot of Maine and Canada bear hunting outfitters. I have been on a few Maine hunts using my bow and learned most are geared towards rifle hunting. The show is somewhat overwhelming because they will all promise you the hunt of a lifetime and have mounts and pictures to back it up. The reality is setting up stands and keeping track of the hot ones is a lot of work and some of these guys are not up to it. Let me stress this point and I believe you already know this by your post.
    Do Not Go without a personal recommendation. Best hunt I ever went on was a recommendation from another hunter I met at the airport after a hunt. For the money it’s hard to beat a bear hunt. GL and if you hear of a good hunt please share.

CaptainAwesome

Jun 1, 2013
    Pikesville MD
    Attend the Harrisburg show to talk directly to guides.

I've paid for three Canadian guided hunts in my past. Bears are more abundant in Canada, mosquitos are also abundant, Thermacell is a must.

King Chicken

I identify as King/Emperor
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    Land Full of Marys - MoCo
    Worms? Nope, old wives tale.
    Thoughtless and careless.

Well, for anyone else who cares about health and food safety:

"People most often associate trichinellosis with the consumption of raw or undercooked pork. However, in recent years, more cases have been associated with eating raw or undercooked wild game meats (such as bear) than eating domestic pork products. Trichinella parasites can infect a wide range of animals worldwide."-CDC

The eggs and worms embed in the muscles via bloodstream...that's how you get it from bears.

"Bears and other carnivores and scavengers in Alaska commonly carry the trichinella roundworm parasite, which can be transmitted to people who eat undercooked .."-Alaska.gov

"Initial signs and symptoms
    You swallow roundworm (trichinella) larvae in tiny sacks (cysts) containing the parasite. Your digestive juices dissolve the cysts, releasing the larvae into your body. The larvae then enter the wall of your small intestine, where they grow into adult worms and mate. Digestive symptoms can begin 1 to 2 days after infection. At this stage, you may experience:

Diarrhea
    Stomach (abdominal) pain
    Severe tiredness and weakness (fatigue)
    Nausea and vomiting

About a week after infection, the adult female worms produce larvae. The larvae go through the wall of your intestine and enter your bloodstream, They travel around the body and bury themselves in muscle tissue. Here, each larva coils up and forms a cyst around itself." -Mayo Clinic

1000005343.png

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Thoughtless and careless.

Well, for anyone else who cares about health and food safety:

"People most often associate trichinellosis with the consumption of raw or undercooked pork. However, in recent years, more cases have been associated with eating raw or undercooked wild game meats (such as bear) than eating domestic pork products. Trichinella parasites can infect a wide range of animals worldwide."-CDC

The eggs and worms embed in the muscles via bloodstream...that's how you get it from bears.

"Bears and other carnivores and scavengers in Alaska commonly carry the trichinella roundworm parasite, which can be transmitted to people who eat undercooked .."-Alaska.gov

"Initial signs and symptoms
    You swallow roundworm (trichinella) larvae in tiny sacks (cysts) containing the parasite. Your digestive juices dissolve the cysts, releasing the larvae into your body. The larvae then enter the wall of your small intestine, where they grow into adult worms and mate. Digestive symptoms can begin 1 to 2 days after infection. At this stage, you may experience:

Diarrhea
    Stomach (abdominal) pain
    Severe tiredness and weakness (fatigue)
    Nausea and vomiting

About a week after infection, the adult female worms produce larvae. The larvae go through the wall of your intestine and enter your bloodstream, They travel around the body and bury themselves in muscle tissue. Here, each larva coils up and forms a cyst around itself." -Mayo Clinic

View attachment 452540
    “Thoughtless and careless”? Or, maybe I simply just cook my food properly, much as your multi-paragraph soliloquy suggests?

You do you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom