• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

DickyDck

Dec 20, 2012
    Just spoke to a friend of mine that supposedly went up to PA, and cash and carried an AR15 out of a store in Ft Loudon, and drove his ass back into maryland where he resides. This sound fishy to anyone else but me?

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Won't say it is impossible, BUT very unlikely. He would need to produce a drives license and fill out the forms, there is no way they would let a non-resident assume possession of a regulated firearm.

My $.02

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    If it is a "regulated" firearm in MD, and he presented a MD D/L to the FFL up there,.... they are dumb.

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    H-BAR can be cash and carry. Otherwise it is regulated in MD.

Convenient that he wasn't in MD then, right? (Not supposed to sound as snippy as it seems. Just trying to figure the relevance of the status of MD. As long as it isn't a handgun or a NFA item, it doesn't have to go through an FFL in the buyer's state, right?)

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Convenient that he wasn't in MD then, right? (Not supposed to sound as snippy as it seems. Just trying to figure the relevance of the status of MD. As long as it isn't a handgun or a NFA item, it doesn't have to go through an FFL in the buyer's state, right?)

Actually, no, federal law stipulates that you have to follow your own state's gun laws when buying a gun out of state. So, for the same reason an Illinois or Massachusetts resident can't drive to a nearby state and buy a long gun without an FOID card from their own state, a Maryland resident can't drive to another state and buy a regulated long gun without going through the 7-day paperwork.

elwojo

File not found: M:/Liberty.exe
    Dec 23, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Actually, no, federal law stipulates that you have to follow your own state's gun laws when buying a gun out of state. So, for the same reason an Illinois or Massachusetts resident can't drive to a nearby state and buy a long gun without an FOID card from their own state, a Maryland resident can't drive to another state and buy a regulated long gun without going through the 7-day paperwork.

Exactly. Otherwise I would be driving up to PA to buy my AK instead of wondering how to go about it best here in the Free State...

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    I purchased a S&W M&P chambered in .300 Blackout from an FFL in PA. Filled out the 4473, was called into NICS, 15 min later I was on my way home.

Just like the Ruger 10/22 rifle I purchased in DE a few months before.

HBAR (heavy barrel) AR's are non-regulated and can be purchased out of state as long as it's a bordering state of MD - PA, DE, VA, WV.

The caveat is that the FFL must know the laws of MD to do so. The FFL I deal with is a resident of MD, but has his shop in PA. So he knows both sets of laws.

DeadeyeJack

Supporter of Freedom
    Sep 13, 2009
    Dixie
    I purchased a S&W M&P chambered in .300 Blackout from an FFL in PA. Filled out the 4473, was called into NICS, 15 min later I was on my way home.

HBAR (heavy barrel) AR's are non-regulated and can be purchased out of state as long as it's a bordering state of MD - PA, DE, VA, WV.

The caveat is that the FFL must know the laws of MD to do so. The FFL I deal with is a resident of MD, but has his shop in PA. So he knows both sets of laws.

now that you have yours, who in PA is stocking the M&P in .300 Blackout. It is mostly Fudd guns in the Oxford/Kennett area.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County

Actually they did away with the bordering state restriction. I think it might have been in with the GOPA.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County

Actually Md waives the requirement for regulated rifle and shotgun purchases in adjacent states as long as you follow the rules of the adjacent state. You would have to follow the Md regulated long gun rules if you bought it in any other state but the specified 4 adjacent states.

§ 5-204. Purchasers of rifles or shotguns.

(a) "Adjacent state" defined.- In this section, "adjacent state" means Delaware, Pennsylvania, Virginia, or West Virginia.
    (b) Resident of this State in adjacent state.- If a resident of this State is eligible to purchase a rifle or shotgun under the laws of an adjacent state, the resident may purchase a rifle or shotgun from a federally licensed gun dealer in the adjacent state.

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    now that you have yours, who in PA is stocking the M&P in .300 Blackout. It is mostly Fudd guns in the Oxford/Kennett area.

I picked mine up from Thunderstick Enterprises in Fawn Grove, PA back in November. So it was before the rush. Don't know if they have any now. I don't have any money for guns so I don't look.

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    Actually Md waives the requirement for regulated rifle and shotgun purchases in adjacent states as long as you follow the rules of the adjacent state. You would have to follow the Md regulated long gun rules if you bought it in any other state but the specified 4 adjacent states.

(a) "Adjacent state" defined.- In this section, "adjacent state" means Delaware, Pennsylvania, Virginia, or West Virginia.
    (b) Resident of this State in adjacent state.- If a resident of this State is eligible to purchase a rifle or shotgun under the laws of an adjacent state, the resident may purchase a rifle or shotgun from a federally licensed gun dealer in the adjacent state.

Maybe this is where my misunderstanding comes from.

So would this include scary stuff like non-HBAR AR15's?

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon

Good luck with that.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Maybe this is where my misunderstanding comes from.

So would this include scary stuff like non-HBAR AR15's?

That's what it says. Federal law says you have to follow the laws of both states when purchasing rifles or shotguns in a state that isn't your residence. In this statute Md. defers to the 4 adjacent states laws so whatever their law is is what has to be followed for long guns - rifles and shotguns only. You still wouldn't be able to purchase handguns though since that is a federal restriction.

Right2Carry

Feb 27, 2009
    District 32
    Just spoke to a friend of mine that supposedly went up to PA, and cash and carried an AR15 out of a store in Ft Loudon, and drove his ass back into maryland where he resides. This sound fishy to anyone else but me?

Nothing is fishy when purchasing from a dealer/shop. Not all ARs are alike, and the AR purchased is probably an HBAR - heavy barrel AR which is NOT regulated by the stupid MD laws. FYI: HBARs, along with any weapon purchased "NEW" from any dealer is regulated by the state/federal government.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    I know an FFL in DE that wouild have sold me an AR cash n carry until I told him that it was a restricted gun in MD. It's not in DE so he didn't realize it's like a handgun. However, it sounds as though it is legal to do so. It maybe the Fed law that comes into play about following both laws.

Anyway it sounds a little gray to me.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom