• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    We're discussing moving the Izaac Walton League of Harford County's Belair Gun Show to a new location.
    The show's been held in Bel Air for 63 years, the proceeds go to the IWLA HCo. scholarship fund to help students pursuing careers in conservation.
    We're looking for a larger venue. The problems we need to overcome are the many steps at the Armory, the parking situation in Bel Air and more table space.
    We're considering relocating to the Jarrettsville Fire Company Hall and keeping the same dates, Super Bowl weekend in February.
    Considering a name change to HarCo Sportsman Show for a few reasons. One is we would no longer be in Bel Air. We want to maintain the Gun Show theme and we want a quality GUN show with NO jerky, jewelry, T-shirts, fudge but unfortunately some social media platforms don't allow Gun Shows but Sportsman Shows are OK. Archery, fishing, decoys and of course knives, ammo, reloading, etc. can be included.
    We need new vendors, for various reasons many of the multi-table holders are retiring from doing shows.
    If you have gun stuff you want to turn into $$ then you want to get a table at this gun show.
    Gun shops, gunsmiths, engravers, FFL's etc. wishing to do this show will be welcomed and multiple tables will be available.
    Other MDS members did very well last year at this show.
    We will be contacting previous table holders and welcoming new ones. I'll update this post later with contact information.

What say you, about the name change, new location, attracting new table holders and patrons for a quality show?

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Fire companies aren't used enough IMO and the spaces can generally be rented for very good rates. I know someone who uses HdG for carry permit courses. Darlington is a damn nice facility with lots of space for parking too.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    The Armory was not a good venue. As noted, lots of steps, crowded conditions and poor parking if you needed to be close.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    another idea we're contemplating is just having the show Saturday/Sunday instead of Friday/Saturday/Sunday.
    Maybe we would sell more tables if guys didn't want to be there three days or couldn't setup Friday?
    vs.
    Would we get more or less patrons, will the same amount of people come, would it be less crowded?

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    another idea we're contemplating is just having the show Saturday/Sunday instead of Friday/Saturday/Sunday.
    Maybe we would sell more tables if guys didn't want to be there three days or couldn't setup Friday?
    vs.
    Would we get more or less patrons, will the same amount of people come, would it be less crowded?
    Hmm I can't say there is a right answer. Some people can't do weeknights. Some have weekend obligations and allow Friday nights only for their activities. I'd say the weekend over Friday night though if you had to choose to cut something.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    The Armory isn’t a good location anymore. Not enough space when it’s full and parking isn’t ideal. I agree with earlier posts that VFDs aren’t utilized enough and may be good for a small to smaller/moderately-sized shows.

Keeping it firearm related without other “items” is good too. There’s nothing more disappointing than going to a gun show and only 1/4 of the sellers are selling firearms, ammo, and parts.

May I also recommend (if possible/legal), finding an FFL who will set up to do private transfers? This would enable private citizens to buy/sell to each other, or even possibly rent a table or two.

I like having three days if all of the vendors are there on Friday.

RegularJay

NRA & SAF Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2007
    Harford County
    Moving to anywhere with more space and better parking would be an improvement. Jarrettsville Fire Hall is 5 minutes from me so obviously that'd be great. Having an FFL on site seems like a great idea too. Jarrettsville VFW might be a cheaper option although they do have a yearly show of their own.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    Moving to anywhere with more space and better parking would be an improvement. Jarrettsville Fire Hall is 5 minutes from me so obviously that'd be great. Having an FFL on site seems like a great idea too. Jarrettsville VFW might be a cheaper option although they do have a yearly show of their own.

I was thinking of the J-Ville VFW show just a little while ago. It has definitely contracted in size. I was in and out in 10 mins last year -I hope they can attract some of the same folks who would also do the Bel Air American Legion or the Issak Walton League show.

Mule

Just Mule
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2013
    I was thinking of the J-Ville VFW show just a little while ago. It has definitely contracted in size. I was in and out in 10 mins last year -I hope they can attract some of the same folks who would also do the Bel Air American Legion or the Issak Walton League show.
    I volunteered at the MSI table at last year's Jarrettsville VFW show, and it did indeed have fewer vendors than usual. However, if I remember correctly, there had been talk about the low vendor turnout being related to the fact that there were two (maybe three?) other shows scheduled that weekend. So, hopefully, that one was an anomaly.

As far as the future of the Bel Air Show,
    JVFC would be a great location. Lots of space inside, and there's a ton of parking. Darlington would be good too.

The name piece is a tricky one, for sure.

I understand the challenges posed by social media platforms and having to play the terminology game. (Don't agree with the companies' position, but understand having to abide by their rules)

Unfortunately, though, the term "gun show" is the most descriptive and effective term for the focus of the show. Also, many of the most effective alternatives would likely be banned terms as well.

"Sportsmen's (Sportsperson's?) Show" and "Outdoor Show" could kind of convey the idea, but they also imply lots of other things like fishing, hiking, backpacking, camping, etc.

Plus, with generic terms like that, you're likely to end up with the worst of both worlds. You'd probably miss a lot of gun-oriented folks who are used to seeing the term "Gun Show", and may pass on a trip to go look at tents and hiking boots. Or, you may get a lot of people who are excited about those tents and hiking boots, but don't like those "icky guns." Either way, the vendors lose.

Hazzard County Roscoe Show would be fun, but it'd probably get you in trouble with Warner Brothers.

Harford County Target Sports show may be closer to what you're trying to accomplish.

Either way, I wish you luck, and look forward to having the chance to attend the show, wherever it may be.

Jimgoespewpew

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2021
    Terlingua
    I'm very unimportant but I went to the show once and never went back because I felt claustrophobic, hot and itchy. My only regret was not buying like twenty p80 kits from the guy that was in the corner. A venue change would be great and I don't care what you call it. Maybe something like the diversity, inclusion and lgbtqrsxcptyue collectibles, curios and tchotchke show. It'd be fun to watch leftists show up and have meltdowns.

Jweiss013

MSI and MSRPA Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 9, 2019
    Baltimore Co
    I would think people would still catch on even if the name changed. Could even mention that this is the improved show now moved from said original location. I also think folks will show up whether its blair, or elsewhere. Priority one for me would be finding a nice affordable venue with expanded space.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    I've often thought about a table but I never have enough I want to sell
    You'd be surprised the stuff you have when you start making a list of what to take, scopes, ammo, mounts, grips, magazines, reloading, fishing, archery...
    Most guys start doing this, often with a friend, and graduate to more tables.
    I've had good days and bad days selling. The bad days come after you sell all your good stuff,
    but I always have a good time. You get in early and you're sure to make new friends. It's impossible not to strike up a good conversation with gun people, learn and teach.
    The Baltimore County show this weekend is a good place to start and all shows are not created equal.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    We're working out the final details for the NOT going to be the Bel Air Gun Show.
    Changing the name to the Chesapeake Sportsman Show.
    Changing the location to Jarrettsville Volunteer Fire Department hall
    Going to be held Super Bowl weekend February 10-11, 2024, Saturday and Sunday only, no Friday. Some vendors cannot get off work to set up and do Friday night. It's not fair to patrons to pay to get into a show and there's empty tables, plus that'll leave Friday afternoon open for set up. I hope to have all the final details by Saturday, contact information, admission, address, table costs are going to be the same. I'll be at the Baltimore County Show this Saturday talking to vendors and gathering contact information from anyone interested in a table.
    Thank You everyone who offered their input!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom