• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    So I tried my hand at archery with a compound a few years ago and I was terrible at it. After MD allowed crossbows I went that way and have taken a deer or two almost every season since.

Fast forward to now and an aging family member has given me the subject recurve bow. It is not strung and doesn't appear to have any damage. I figure it might be different enough that I can learn and shoot it. My left shoulder is not great these days but according to the writing on it, this only has a 35# pull. I'm wondering if it might be a good way to get some extra time in the woods for primitive season.

So does anyone harvest much with something like this? Any suggestions on additional equipment I'm going to need? I'll do my own research starting now, but I figured I'd throw it out there for the gang.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I have killed plenty of deer with a 45# Bear. I would prefer a heavier bow than 35# for hunting, but it is legal. But first question, why were you bad with a compound, but think you will be able to shoot traditional? Traditional is harder than the compound. Not trying to say you won't be able too, but it is more difficult to learn.

You need arrows that are spined well to it and I don't what poundage to recommend. I always went heavier in spine and bare shafted mine and sanded them down until I got good flight. You can use is all season, but you better practice a lot to build your form. It's like learning to throw a baseball. You take it for granted once you learn but it takes a lot of repetition to get good and be good when a deer is in front of you. focus on consistency drawing anchoring and releasing.

Use a simple two blade head when hunting and take a good broadside shoots. You might not pass through, but you should pop both lungs.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    cedars with Zwickeys or Bear razorheads will get the job done --practice and don't take long shots---I have killed lots of deer with recurves and longbows but poundage was in the 50# range or better. Would make great bow for treestand hunting in the right location--where you have deer walking right under yo more or less

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Use the Pearson bow to learn on and decide if you are ready to dedicate the time in practice it will take time to become proficient. Then get a bow with a heavier draw weight for better speed and lethality.

Last edited:

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    Thanks for the replies. I'm definitely not saying I'd be any better with this than with a compound. I was only thinking that it would be more instinctive once I had the form and the technique. It would definitely be something I could practice in the yard, unlike crossbow for my size yard. You cannot hold it to aim the way you can a compound. Draw-shoot is what I understand. Still thinking it through. I might be past the age where I can take something like this up without doing some damage to the shoulder. I'll do more research before I put any money into it. It's a pretty thing. Might just hang it over the fireplace...

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I shoot instinctive and snap shoot. I focus on the target while raising and drawing and when I hit anchor I release. Self taught as a kid and had been deadly on rabbits back then and deer before. I practice in the yard and shoot at tennis balls. Aim small miss small. If you put the time in practicing and stay consistent on your form you can train your brain to shoot instinctive. I shoot bare foot when it warn as arrows tunnel under the grass. My feet can feel them without shoes.

Years back I had a guy I know talk me into a compound as the trad bow was tooo old they said. Misjudged the yarded and shot over an eight point. Took the sights off and shot that instinctive after that. Then I thought, This is stupid, I should be shooting my recurve and sold the compound. Missed that same eight point in black powder with a bad cap. 30 yards, on the ground, Snap! He looks right at me and keeps walking. I try to dig the tin of caps out and runs off. Luckiest damn deer I have seen in a while.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    I shoot instinctive and snap shoot. I focus on the target while raising and drawing and when I hit anchor I release. Self taught as a kid and had been deadly on rabbits back then and deer before. I practice in the yard and shoot at tennis balls. Aim small miss small. If you put the time in practicing and stay consistent on your form you can train your brain to shoot instinctive. I shoot bare foot when it warn as arrows tunnel under the grass. My feet can feel them without shoes.

Years back I had a guy I know talk me into a compound as the trad bow was tooo old they said. Misjudged the yarded and shot over an eight point. Took the sights off and shot that instinctive after that. Then I thought, This is stupid, I should be shooting my recurve and sold the compound. Missed that same eight point in black powder with a bad cap. 30 yards, on the ground, Snap! He looks right at me and keeps walking. I try to dig the tin of caps out and runs off. Luckiest damn deer I have seen in a while.
    Deer walks off shaking it's head musing, "Oh hey, it's Elmer again". :)

thedutchtouch

Feb 14, 2023
    I've been hunting with a compound for a few years, and am starting to learn recurve as well. I don't think it's easier to kill a deer with, but does feel like it'll be more fun/rewarding as a result of the increased difficulty

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I'll never forget the first deer I killed with recurve. Aluminum arrows on a Bear Black bear with the "Seal Skin" fiber rest they made. She was at 7 yards, quartering away, I drew and it was so quite she and I heard "swiiish" as that arrow slide along that rest. Her ears went up and back, I panicked and released. Never before, and since, do I remember heard an arrow slide across the rest. The things that happen, and go wrong, while hunting. My boy owns that bow now.

It is defiantly worth it. I want to get back out with my primitive bow. Been hunting with the xbow as I'd kick myself if a buck came through 30 or so yards out, because I wouldn't take that shot now. 30+ years ago yeah, as I shot all the time and killed rabbits at tht range. I don't practice enough to trust my range past 20 - 25 now. We got one stand in the upper food plot with a hole in the fence as a funnel and I might take it there. It 'd be nice to kill one again with homemade equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom