Benefits of Utah vs Florida non-resident permits?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • intobaitem

Jul 31, 2010
    Eastern Shore, MD
    South Carolina will only issue their non-resident permit to you if you can prove that you own property in that state (Assessor must sign a form) or you are in the Military and stationed within the state.

In South Carolina it is legal to have a loaded handgun in your vehicle (glove box or console) so when I pass through that state, that is where I place and keep my loaded handgun until I reach the next state border. BUT if you are spending the night and can show you paid the South Carolina room tax for your motel/hotel room, your receipt is like a concealed carry permit to carry your loaded handgun between your vehicle and your room (and yes, I have done this, including carrying concealed among the various places within the motel/hotel I was staying).

Thanks for the SC info.

Everyone else, I just requested an application from Florida online. I am already registered for a Utah class tomorrow night at Free State, and was just reading some posts when I saw that Fl doesn't acknowledge Utahs NRP. So I won't bail on my Utah class now, but hopefully I can use it to help get my Fl for when I visit pops..

I was just trying to decipher if I needed both or not. I will try to apply for FL and see how it goes. I will let everyone know what the results are when I do.

Charles Guggenheimer

MSI Executive Member
    Jun 19, 2005
    Seven Valleys PA
    Thanks for the SC info.

Everyone else, I just requested an application from Florida online. I am already registered for a Utah class tomorrow night at Free State, and was just reading some posts when I saw that Fl doesn't acknowledge Utahs NRP. So I won't bail on my Utah class now, but hopefully I can use it to help get my Fl for when I visit pops..

I was just trying to decipher if I needed both or not. I will try to apply for FL and see how it goes. I will let everyone know what the results are when I do.

You are welcome. I have updated my post with some applicable Sections of South Carolina law from their web page.

intobaitem

Jul 31, 2010
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Proshooter, thanks for all the info and direction to links. Checked out your website as well. Nice looking operation.:thumbsup: definitely will keep you in mind in the future, but Richmond is abot 3 hours from me.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    Proshooter, thanks for all the info and direction to links. Checked out your website as well. Nice looking operation.:thumbsup: definitely will keep you in mind in the future, but Richmond is abot 3 hours from me.

Thank you. I appreciate you taking the time to check our site out.

3 hours isn't a far drive for good training. Maybe you can carpool with some of the other Marylanders heading here.:)

We usually see a fair number of Marylanders and even some Pa. folks in our classes each month.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Changed in early 2010 from what I remember....its been a while.

I just renewed my Florida so it has been 7 years. When I got it, there was no live fire reqs. I was wondering about the the change myself.

BTW, I had the renewal back in two weeks....

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    I just took the Florida CCW course. There was no live-fire portion to the class. The instructor told us Florida doesn't require live fire, if you take the course with a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor.

List of acceptable documentation for Florida CCW

The instructor was incorrect. Florida does require live fire if you are using a gun safety class. The instructor has to maintain a record that you can safely handle and discharge the firearm.

ETA - if you just took the class, you may want to contact the instructor and complete the live fire with him before you submit your application.

Freedom

Aug 15, 2011
    The instructor was incorrect. Florida does require live fire if you are using a gun safety class. The instructor has to maintain a record that you can safely handle and discharge the firearm.

It figures! I'll definitely have to check the certificate.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    If I ever need to drive to Florida, it looks like I'll have to get one of either of these permits. Georgia and Alabama don't recognize my Virginia Resident permit.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    If I ever need to drive to Florida, it looks like I'll have to get one of either of these permits. Georgia and Alabama don't recognize my Virginia Resident permit.

If I had to guess, I'd say that most of our students obtain the Utah permit just to be able to drive through Georgia and Alabama. I have familiy in Georgia and I know that the permit sure helped me out. Wouldn't have been able to bring my gun otherwise.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I don't have the SC problem the Maryland folks do. Looking at the map on another web site, I'm pretty much covered with my resident and a Utah permit. I should have gotten a Nevada one while I was there, but since I was getting married, my bride would not have appreciated having someone give me an 8 hour lecture in our hotel room. She's applying for her resident Virginia permit in December. Maybe next time we go to Vegas we'll get the Nevada one, too. Or the reciprocity bill will pass and I won't have to deal with this nonsense.

Squaredout

The Widows Son
    Mar 25, 2010
    If I had to guess, I'd say that most of our students obtain the Utah permit just to be able to drive through Georgia and Alabama. I have familiy in Georgia and I know that the permit sure helped me out. Wouldn't have been able to bring my gun otherwise.

The Fl NRP is recognize in both Alabama and Georgia. Is this not correct?

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    I don't have the SC problem the Maryland folks do. Looking at the map on another web site, I'm pretty much covered with my resident and a Utah permit. I should have gotten a Nevada one while I was there, but since I was getting married, my bride would not have appreciated having someone give me an 8 hour lecture in our hotel room. She's applying for her resident Virginia permit in December. Maybe next time we go to Vegas we'll get the Nevada one, too. Or the reciprocity bill will pass and I won't have to deal with this nonsense.

At one time Nevada recognized the Utah permit but then they pulled the reciprocity due to Utah not requiring live fire.

The reciprocity bill is interesting but I'm not sure if it has enough momentum to pass.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    At one time Nevada recognized the Utah permit but then they pulled the reciprocity due to Utah not requiring live fire.

The reciprocity bill is interesting but I'm not sure if it has enough momentum to pass.

Agreed. Just today, I've recommended CCW permit training (both Utah&FL) to folks where I work, big trend going on right now.

If Utah changed their 'standards'; for example required safe live fire before permit issuance, would all those that got a permit before still be able to renew?

Seems obvious to me that they would not require a new standard on those that were already permit holders, but interested in other opinions.

If the trend it headed in this direction, doesn't it behoove folks to get in now, and be 'grandfathered' against future additional requirements?

Last edited:

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    Agreed. Just today, I've recommended CCW permit training (both Utah&FL) to folks where I work, big trend going on right now.

If Utah changed their 'standards'; for example required safe live fire before permit issuance, would all those that got a permit before still be able to renew? Seems obvious to me that they would not, but interested in other opinions. If the trend it headed in this direction, doesn't it behoove folks to get in now, and be 'grandfathered' against future additional requirements?

I imagine that they'd have to come up with some kind of system to track/identify those grandfather. It would make sense for people to get the training quickly if things are headed that way.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Even though the live fire requirement is not on the FL CCW web, site, there is a Link to the statute.
    Florida Statute 790.06
    7. Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;
    A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; or an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught said course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this paragraph; any person who conducts a course pursuant to subparagraph 2., subparagraph 3., or subparagraph 7., or who, as an instructor, attests to the completion of such courses, must maintain records certifying that he or she observed the student safely handle and discharge the firearm;

link here
    http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2010/790.06

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    Even though the live fire requirement is not on the FL CCW web, site, there is a Link to the statute.

Correct, and while the law says that the instructor must maintain the record, it also tells the applicant that they are supposed to read all of Florida law 790.

The app revision date is 9/2010 so its been in there since at least then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom