Benelli Quality Control Very Disappointing what say you?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    I bought a Benelli Montefeltro 20 ga. online brand new with a satin walnut stock as a gift for my grand daughter.
    I didn't examine it good because I didn't want to mess up the factory packing and I thought Benelli, it's going to be nice for a $1300 gun.
    What do you think about this stock with big knots running through it to both sides?

Attachments

• Benelli a.jpg
      Benelli a.jpg
      512.5 KB · Views: 123
    • Benelli b.jpg
      Benelli b.jpg
      507.6 KB · Views: 117
    • Benelli c.jpg
      Benelli c.jpg
      539.4 KB · Views: 115
    • Benelli right.jpg
      Benelli right.jpg
      651.5 KB · Views: 118

Coehorn

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2024
    Baltimore County
    Wood with knots. Whoduhthunkit.

Reminds me of the movie, Shallow Hal.

It's a gift I'm sure she'll love regardless of Mother Nature's quirks.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    When I saw the title I assumed a mechanical flaw or damage. Knots in a wooden stock seem natural to me. I think it's a beautiful looking gun.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    It looks awful. You should offer it as a MDS karma raffle.

I’ll start....”I’m in”(# 1) when’s the drawing?

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    I'm going against the tide here. I too kinda expected a mechanical issue, that said however; for $1,300 I would expect better wood than you received. The wood itself was just okay but the size of those knots were not acceptable on a stock for that amount of money. Now for $1,300 I wouldn't expect great grain and no real chatoyance but I would also expect it to be more free of knots of that size. Those were pretty significant for what you paid. Now I know you aren't getting the quality of wood you got 30-40 years ago or even 10 years ago but I wouldn't expect that stock even from a Sears or Montgomery Wards shotgun stock.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Looks like the knots go clean through from side to the other.
    Its different, distinctive thats for certain but I'm not sure if I would be happy with it either.
    Anyway,I noticed some action rail peening on a Super Black Eagle that just got put up which got me looking a lot closer.
    I wouldn't have expected to see it, but that could just be me too.
    I dont know if I what I'm seeing there would trouble me enough to send it back.
    Maybe over time you'll feel differently but if your asking, your first instinct for what your expectations are is probably the best course for complete satisfaction in the purchase.

Browning Fan

Feb 21, 2024
    Baltimore
    I was just on Benelli’s website and checking that puppy out. I see that is inertia drive and adjustment not needed. That is very nice. I have a Franchi 620 imported by Benelli. It looks identical but it gas operated. I bought it from Rob Schiflett at Christian Soldier back in the day. I was in there when the guy walked in with it in mint condition in the box with manual, choke tubes and wrench, 2 stock adjusting spacers for dropping comb AND cast left or right plus original barcode. Rob made his deal and the guy walked out of that walk-in size closet shop ( miss Rob and that joint). I said the second that door closed behind the guy, I will double your money right now. He said, Done!
    Sweet Sweet deal.
    Benelli is a good company and I am certain, good customer service. If it bothers you, call them and send them pics. Explain how it’s not about grain pattern or shade of stain but nits go clear through, “ humidity, drying, harmonic shock waves from firing making knots fall out, blah blah..”
    I bet they take care of you.
    8F7F21D4-C8C6-4526-A396-DEEB37F41227.jpeg

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I just looked at all my wood furniture guns and not a single one of them has a knot. Wasn't entirely sure until I looked at them. They are Beretta though. My Benelli has black plastic.

I don't think I would have a problem with the knots in the stock.

If it really bothers you, give them a call. I showed up at Beretta HQ in Accokeek back in 2002 or so to complain about the finish on a 391 Teknys stock and chrome coming off of my 682 Gold receiver. They gave me a new stock for the 391 and a new 682 Gold.

Browning Fan

Feb 21, 2024
    Baltimore
    ^^^^^^^^^
    See,The squeaky hinge gets the WD40.
    I am a wood gun, especially old, never seen a not. I’ve seen things that kinda look like nots but aren’t actually. If a tree gets a wound or disease and recovers, evidence of it can be found once processed in different forms such as different colors and patters that are not normally present. Color changes and color patterns come from the different minerals in the soil that the tree intakes through the course of its life. If soil has a certain specific type of mineral for X amount of time. You get a color streak, then when mineral content changes a few years later, it has a new color change and on it goes…

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    That stock should never have made it onto a gun, should have gone to the burn pile. I've seen stocks with a small single knot but not multiple that go all the way through. I would be disappointed also. I would either return the gun or contact Benelli.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I am on the fence about it.If you don't like it, call. If you GD likes it, keep. It is unique.

BTW, I am in.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    I bought a Benelli Montefeltro 20 ga. online …
    I didn't examine it good …

In the interest of full disclosure I’m going to have to share your experience with my nephew - since 2020, I buy better than a gun-a-month, ALL online and I rarely “examine” any gun while at my FFL; in contrast my nephew insists on buying guns “across the counter” as he wants to avoid a situation like yours … returning a gun to an online vendor AFTER it has been transferred to me via an FFL can be nigh on impossible (and at best is a massive pia)

….I would … contact Benelli.

I’ll add: OP, I would NOT procrastinate in doing so! As in, I would be drafting my communication today in order to send it in written form - email or letter - tomorrow and then also calling them as early as possible Monday …

Wishing you and your granddaughter the best o’ success!

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    I called and emailed Benelli. The girl was rather rude for being a customer service representative. Basically she said I should have looked at it and not bought it and it's not their problem, I should return it to the store. Benelli suggested I'd buy another stock $430 and there's no guarantee it would look any better. I didn't look the gun over better because I didn't want to disturb the factory packing and box, the parts were all in plastic bags, I bought it online from Cabelas and picked it up from the store.
    I doubt anyone else would pick up a piece of wood like this with knots in it and make a stock out of it. Burl and figure is one thing, plain knots should not be in even low-grade stocks.
    Customer service is right, I should not have bought it.
    Thanks for the reassuring responses. I feel better about it now but I'm just going to sell it and move on.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    ^^^^^^^^^
    See,The squeaky hinge gets the WD40.
    I am a wood gun, especially old, never seen a not. I’ve seen things that kinda look like nots but aren’t actually. If a tree gets a wound or disease and recovers, evidence of it can be found once processed in different forms such as different colors and patters that are not normally present. Color changes and color patterns come from the different minerals in the soil that the tree intakes through the course of its life. If soil has a certain specific type of mineral for X amount of time. You get a color streak, then when mineral content changes a few years later, it has a new color change and on it goes…
    Huh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom