• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • badburner

Dec 20, 2023
    Baltimore, MD
    Does anybody have any leads on where to source the Beretta 92x Compact in MD? I've contacted a couple of Local FFLs and they don't have them in stock and/or are unable to source them. I have found some online, but I am unsure with their SKU numbers being acceptable in MD. Last thing I need is for something to be shipped back by local FFL because the firearm hasn't been "approved". Some online stores also refuse to ship to MD outright even if the firearm you are ordering is MD legal.

I'm a newbie so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Does anybody have any leads on where to source the Beretta 92x Compact in MD? I've contacted a couple of Local FFLs and they don't have them in stock and/or are unable to source them. I have found some online, but I am unsure with their SKU numbers being acceptable in MD. Last thing I need is for something to be shipped back by local FFL because the firearm hasn't been "approved". Some online stores also refuse to ship to MD outright even if the firearm you are ordering is MD legal.

I'm a newbie so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    The handgun roster covers models, not SKUs or model numbers (they stopped using model numbers a couple of years ago). If the model is listed on the roster, it's good to go in MD.

FN509Fan

Ultimate Member
    I probably can get one, but you would have to forfeit the magazines to make it legal. Have you tried Cabela's in Hanover?
    Nothing on line at Bass Pro (Cabela's) in Hanover, supposedly there is stock at Federicksburg VA Sportsman Warehouse. If you go buy it there you can take the 13 rd magazines home and ship the gun to an FFL. There's a guy in Rockville who I think was $35 for the FFL charge. He's listed on a FFL post in this forum.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    I'm a huge Beretta 92 fan. No experience with the 92x series yet. What I can tell you is Beretta has really slashed the various models down to only the RDO version of the 92x series. I really wanted a 92x compact, non RDO, no rail but I waited too long and they no longer make them. So I keep an eye out here and there for one.

Anyway, beretta lists 2 models of the 92x compact:
    15 round: J92CR92170
    10 round: J92CR92070

If you look at the MSP roster list it will have a few 92x Compact listed. The two listed above are F models (safety/decocker). To add to the confusion, Beretta lists the Model as 92x Compact but no mention of RDO in the model name spec sheet.

Bottom line is, decide what model you want, a current production model or one that is new old stock or whatever, contact your FFL and see if they are good with transferring it. A good FFL can make heads or tails of how to enter it into the system while staying within the law.

Beretta seems to make their firearms in batches. One minute you will see a flood of a model on gunbroker and whatnot and the next they are gone for a while.

A good FFL will tell you straight up if they can't get one from their distributor like what seems to be your case. A bad one will take your deposit knowing it could be months of waiting unless they tell you that up front.

As for having a 15 round model vs a 10 shipped to your FFL, that is up to the shipper and the FFL what their policies are. In reality, there should be no issue with an FFL sending 15 round mags with a gun to a MD FFL. A good MD FFL will just block them to 10 rounds for you or make some other arrangement.

ETA: Like others said, don't get hung up on the model numbers on the MSP roster, n/a is your friend.

Last edited:

Defense Initiative

Aug 2, 2023
    Maryland
    Nothing on line at Bass Pro (Cabela's) in Hanover, supposedly there is stock at Federicksburg VA Sportsman Warehouse. If you go buy it there you can take the 13 rd magazines home and ship the gun to an FFL. There's a guy in Rockville who I think was $35 for the FFL charge. He's listed on a FFL post in this forum.

A Maryland resident can not buy out of state.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    They absolutely can buy out of state, the transfer just cannot happen there for regulated firearms. The out of state FFL just needs to ship the firearm to a MD FFL for the MD paperwork and transfer to the buyer. The handgun in question still needs to be on the MD handgun roster, of course.

Last edited:

badburner

Dec 20, 2023
    Baltimore, MD
    I'm a huge Beretta 92 fan. No experience with the 92x series yet. What I can tell you is Beretta has really slashed the various models down to only the RDO version of the 92x series. I really wanted a 92x compact, non RDO, no rail but I waited too long and they no longer make them. So I keep an eye out here and there for one.

Anyway, beretta lists 2 models of the 92x compact:
    15 round: J92CR92170
    10 round: J92CR92070

If you look at the MSP roster list it will have a few 92x Compact listed. The two listed above are F models (safety/decocker). To add to the confusion, Beretta lists the Model as 92x Compact but no mention of RDO in the model name spec sheet.

Bottom line is, decide what model you want, a current production model or one that is new old stock or whatever, contact your FFL and see if they are good with transferring it. A good FFL can make heads or tails of how to enter it into the system while staying within the law.

Beretta seems to make their firearms in batches. One minute you will see a flood of a model on gunbroker and whatnot and the next they are gone for a while.

A good FFL will tell you straight up if they can't get one from their distributor like what seems to be your case. A bad one will take your deposit knowing it could be months of waiting unless they tell you that up front.

As for having a 15 round model vs a 10 shipped to your FFL, that is up to the shipper and the FFL what their policies are. In reality, there should be no issue with an FFL sending 15 round mags with a gun to a MD FFL. A good MD FFL will just block them to 10 rounds for you or make some other arrangement.

ETA: Like others said, don't get hung up on the model numbers on the MSP roster, n/a is your friend.
    Thank you

FN509Fan

Ultimate Member
    I was at Jim Thorpe Guns & Ammo up in PA recently and spoke with the owner at length. When I told him I was from MD he said I could buy there, take the mags home and he'd ship to a MD FFL. On the way home, I stopped at a Sportsman's Warehouse a little north of Gettysburg and got the same story. It has been reported numerous times in this forum that you can do so. I haven't tried it myself but have bought twice via the internet from out of state dealers when I couldn't find any stock in state.

OP, I get wanting to buy in state an support local businesses but if you really want this gun, if it is the one I linked to previously, I'd suggest snatching it up quickly. I've missed out on several buying opportunities by procrastinating. And you will get two non brain damaged 13 round magazines.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    They absolutely can buy out of state, the transfer just cannot happen there for regulated firearms. The out of state FFL just needs to ship the firearm to a MD FFL for the MD paperwork and transfer to the buyer. The handgun in question still needs to be on the MD handgun roster, of course.
    This. It's no different than buying from Gunbroker. The firearm still has to be shipped to your local FFL.
    The advantage if you buy it from a brick and mortar store test you visit is that you can take the mags homes with you. The firearm still has to be shipped.I travel for work all over the country. I have purchased firearms and mag from Texas, NC, FLA, etc. I bring the mags home in checked luggage and they ship the gun.

Defense Initiative

Aug 2, 2023
    Maryland

You are correct, I'm a FFL so I know the process.

Defense Initiative

Aug 2, 2023
    Maryland
    I was at Jim Thorpe Guns & Ammo up in PA recently and spoke with the owner at length. When I told him I was from MD he said I could buy there, take the mags home and he'd ship to a MD FFL. On the way home, I stopped at a Sportsman's Warehouse a little north of Gettysburg and got the same story. It has been reported numerous times in this forum that you can do so. I haven't tried it myself but have bought twice via the internet from out of state dealers when I couldn't find any stock in state.

OP, I get wanting to buy in state an support local businesses but if you really want this gun, if it is the one I linked to previously, I'd suggest snatching it up quickly. I've missed out on several buying opportunities by procrastinating. And you will get two non brain damaged 13 round magazines.

Many dealers will not separate magazines from firearms this way; if they don't accept returns, then maybe. I'm surprised that the larger corporations would do this; I know that Cabela's will not.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    You need to check out Hafers guns. You can buy at the WV Store, take the mags with you then drive 15 minutes to Md Store to do transfer paperwork. No Tax in WV as well.

badburner

Dec 20, 2023
    Baltimore, MD
    Most, if not all, 92x Compacts now only come in RDO. There is no 92x RDO compact listed in the MD handgun roster, or at least none that I could find. All I see are 92X G Compact, 92X F Compact and 92X GR Compact. The models with RDO on them are only 92X RDO FULL SIZE FR and 92X RDO FULL SIZE GR. You reckon this will be an issue?

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    Most, if not all, 92x Compacts now only come in RDO. There is no 92x RDO compact listed in the MD handgun roster, or at least none that I could find. All I see are 92X G Compact, 92X F Compact and 92X GR Compact. The models with RDO on them are only 92X RDO FULL SIZE FR and 92X RDO FULL SIZE GR. You reckon this will be an issue?
    Yeah, it's confusing. That's why I and others suggested contacting a competent FFL such as Tyler Firearms since you are in the B'more area. Give them the model number and see if they can get it. If they can't, ask if there are any issues with transferring a specific model number if you find it online. I've done that before with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom