• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iobidder

1 point'er
    Nov 11, 2011
    Everywhere
    Apparently Beretta started a trend with companies leaving Maryland. Quite a few big name companies are leaving Maryland as well, I am not sure if this is pure coincidence, but state that Maryland is unfriendly to businesses.

D1jinx

Feb 6, 2013
    Maryland only serves the leaches of society. By sucking dry the working man. Won't be long before its run off everyone who isn't dependent on the state check.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Apparently Beretta started a trend with companies leaving Maryland. Quite a few big name companies are leaving Maryland as well, I am not sure if this is pure coincidence, but state that Maryland is unfriendly to businesses.

Yep, Maryland is having a tough time enticing companies to come here and trying to keep the ones here from leaving.

The WSJ:

Governor Martin O’Malley, a dedicated class warrior, declared that these richest 0.3% of filers were “willing and able to pay their fair share.” The Baltimore Sun predicted the rich would “grin and bear it.”

However, there were two things that Maryland politicians didn’t count on (1) a world-wide economic crisis decreasing the number of million dollar earners and (2) millionaires simply leaving (or taking in less income). “By April 2009, one-third of the millionaires have disappeared from Maryland tax rolls. On those missing returns, the government collects 6.25% of nothing. Instead of the state coffers gaining the extra $106 million the politicians predicted, millionaires paid $100 million less in taxes than they did last year – even at higher rates.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/The-Daily-Reckoning/2010/1010/Maryland-s-millionaire-exodus

Maryland is hurting on the revenue side and the politicians are so stupid to think that raising taxes is going to solve the problem. O'Malley has been talking about raising the sales tax to 7% now.

Today, I got a tip from a source close to the Maryland statehouse who says that there is now a reinvigorated attempt to increase the sales tax in Maryland from 6 percent to 7 percent. O’Malley seems to be laying the groundwork for this increase in his recent speaking appearances.

However, if Maryland raised their rate to 7 percent, their national standing would jump precipitously. A 7 percent rate would tie Maryland for the second highest rate in the nation, trailing only behind California’s 7.25 percent statewide rate.

http://taxfoundation.org/blog/maryl...ales-tax-rate-would-tie-second-highest-nation

Maryland's Business Tax Climate Would Suffer
    Maryland's business tax climate currently ranks as 24th best nationally in the 2008 State Business Tax Climate Index. This makes Maryland third best in a six-state region, behind 9th ranked Delaware and 14th ranked Virginia. However, if the proposed tax increases had been enacted in full at the beginning of the 2008 fiscal year, on July 1, 2007, Maryland's overall rank would be a dismal 43rd best in the nation and second worst in the region. New Jersey would be the only state in the region with a more inhospitable tax climate (see Table 1).

http://taxfoundation.org/article/go...n-puts-maryland-risk-regional-tax-competition

The morons fail to realize that as they drive more and more businesses and people away from the state, they will have less and less tax revenue coming in because there will be less of a tax base to tax. To keep the same revenue coming in, they would need to continue to raise the tax rate, which will continue to push people and business out of the state.

Not to mention regulation headaches for business too. To do business in Maryland, a legal team is required and that costs money.

To hunt in Maryland you pretty much need to consult an attorney regarding the criminal law and the natural resource law.

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    Yep, Maryland is having a tough time enticing companies to come here and trying to keep the ones here from leaving.

The WSJ:

Governor Martin O’Malley, a dedicated class warrior, declared that these richest 0.3% of filers were “willing and able to pay their fair share.” The Baltimore Sun predicted the rich would “grin and bear it.”

However, there were two things that Maryland politicians didn’t count on (1) a world-wide economic crisis decreasing the number of million dollar earners and (2) millionaires simply leaving (or taking in less income). “By April 2009, one-third of the millionaires have disappeared from Maryland tax rolls. On those missing returns, the government collects 6.25% of nothing. Instead of the state coffers gaining the extra $106 million the politicians predicted, millionaires paid $100 million less in taxes than they did last year – even at higher rates.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/The-Daily-Reckoning/2010/1010/Maryland-s-millionaire-exodus

Maryland is hurting on the revenue side and the politicians are so stupid to think that raising taxes is going to solve the problem. O'Malley has been talking about raising the sales tax to 7% now.

Today, I got a tip from a source close to the Maryland statehouse who says that there is now a reinvigorated attempt to increase the sales tax in Maryland from 6 percent to 7 percent. O’Malley seems to be laying the groundwork for this increase in his recent speaking appearances.

However, if Maryland raised their rate to 7 percent, their national standing would jump precipitously. A 7 percent rate would tie Maryland for the second highest rate in the nation, trailing only behind California’s 7.25 percent statewide rate.

http://taxfoundation.org/blog/maryland-considers-raising-sales-tax-rate-would-tie-second-highest-nation

Maryland's Business Tax Climate Would Suffer
    Maryland's business tax climate currently ranks as 24th best nationally in the 2008 State Business Tax Climate Index. This makes Maryland third best in a six-state region, behind 9th ranked Delaware and 14th ranked Virginia. However, if the proposed tax increases had been enacted in full at the beginning of the 2008 fiscal year, on July 1, 2007, Maryland's overall rank would be a dismal 43rd best in the nation and second worst in the region. New Jersey would be the only state in the region with a more inhospitable tax climate (see Table 1).

http://taxfoundation.org/article/governor-omalleys-tax-plan-puts-maryland-risk-regional-tax-competition

The morons fail to realize that as they drive more and more businesses and people away from the state, they will have less and less tax revenue coming in because there will be less of a tax base to tax. To keep the same revenue coming in, they would need to continue to raise the tax rate, which will continue to push people and business out of the state.

Not to mention regulation headaches for business too. To do business in Maryland, a legal team is required and that costs money.

To hunt in Maryland you pretty much need to consult an attorney regarding the criminal law and the natural resource law.

Some of the people of this state think that owe malley cares about the mess he leaves behind when his term is up in 2014. Sadly the damage will most likely not yet be realized and some other poor sap will get blamed.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Some of the people of this state think that owe malley cares about the mess he leaves behind when his term is up in 2014. Sadly the damage will most likely not yet be realized and some other poor sap will get blamed.

O'Malley was Mayor of Baltimore and he left it in worse shape than it was. He is the Governor of Maryland and is going to leave it in worse shape than it was.

His entire agenda is to move up the political ladder by making it appear as though he is for the poor and down trodden. He and Obama are fighting "class warfare" that does not help either side. Instead of bringing the sides together, fostering business and innovation, they are tearing the nation apart. However, the poor think they are winning the fight for them.

One quote from a TV interview of a lady that voted for Obama in 2008 will stick with me forever. "I took care of him, now he is going to take care of me and get rid of my mortgage." Just shook my head again when I finished writing that. Talk about delusional.

It really isn't hard to see why business is leaving Maryland and the USA. So many other places are way better for business.

Oh yeah, the number of US Expatriates is rising too.

Following up on my previous post, Number of U.S. Expatriates Doubled in 2010 (Mar. 10, 2011): Andrew Mitchel reports that the number of individuals renouncing their U.S. citizenship (or terminating their long-term U.S. permanent residency) and expatriating from the U.S. continued to soar in the first quarter of 2011:

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2011/06/number-of-us-expatriates.html

Take a look at the graphs on that link. It will leave you scratching your head.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    When sequestration takes effect and Maryland loses 100 million in tax revenue, they'll wish they hadnt lost 35 million from Beretta moving.

***Sequestration is already taking effect in our area of MoCo. One of my neighbors who works for the State Dept as a contractor on the IT side of things has already had contracts not renewed so will be getting laid off. He is in the private sector but is one of those people who has had a contract for what he does for 26 years.

When the sequestration thing started becoming more of a reality, his dept and other departments came up with cost savings measures to keep longstanding projects going, etc.. but were told they would simply be laid off as that is what the higher ups (politicos..) wanted. Absolute madness..

Basically, Obama and his minions wanted to purposely inflict pain on American citizens for the purpose of making political points, and being able to blame Republicans for all of the hardship being meted out by the sequester.

That attitude is fundamentally anti-American and I hope people in this area who overwhelmingly voted for this guy and this crap start to realize it and it backfires on the Dems for doing this.

bn_bullet

Nov 15, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    WRT Sequestration, all of these Dems and O'Malley supporters in Southern Maryland are about to get a big wake up call. I have seen estimates that St. Mary's county derives as much as 70% of it's revenue from DoD business at Pax River and surrounding facilities. Sequestration will have a MAJOR impact on this area and tax revenue will plummet.

They can continue to push the liberal ideology all they want but when businesses start to leave or go under, something will have to change.

JAY1234

Retired Radioman Chief
    Dec 1, 2012
    St Marys County Maryland
    wakeup

Maryland only serves the leaches of society. By sucking dry the working man. Won't be long before its run off everyone who isn't dependent on the state check.

When all of the working people have gone and leeches are the only ones left, I wonder how many of them will volunteer to work to keep the Government going?

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Virginia is already on the path to becoming Maryland. Just look at the tax increases proposed by that big spending progressive Republican governor Bob McDonnell.

Whenever I go to NOVA it looks like the United Nations down there. All the imports are used to big government wherever they came from, and they want it here too. VA is on borrowed time.
    Maybe so but when thousands of consevative Marylanders move into VA it will surely have an effect.

iobidder

1 point'er
    Nov 11, 2011
    Everywhere
    No wonder I270 corridor is still half empty since 90s....:sad20:

Are you referring to traffic or buildings on the side?

Traffic sucks AM/PM on 270, Rockville, Gaithersburg, and Bethesda is still pretty saturated with businesses, perhaps not too visible from the highway but they are there. CLose to the highways means an excessive amount of traffic.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    ***Sequestration is already taking effect in our area of MoCo. One of my neighbors who works for the State Dept as a contractor on the IT side of things has already had contracts not renewed so will be getting laid off. He is in the private sector but is one of those people who has had a contract for what he does for 26 years.

When the sequestration thing started becoming more of a reality, his dept and other departments came up with cost savings measures to keep longstanding projects going, etc.. but were told they would simply be laid off as that is what the higher ups (politicos..) wanted. Absolute madness..

Basically, Obama and his minions wanted to purposely inflict pain on American citizens for the purpose of making political points, and being able to blame Republicans for all of the hardship being meted out by the sequester.

That attitude is fundamentally anti-American and I hope people in this area who overwhelmingly voted for this guy and this crap start to realize it and it backfires on the Dems for doing this.

The Wall Street Journal wrote a couple pieces yesterday that were blaming Obama for most of the pain from the sequester.

Can you believe the executive office (i.e., Obama) released illegal immigrants because "we could not afford to keep them locked up anymore"? You mean to tell me he could not find money elsewhere from less important programs so that he could keep those illegals locked up? You mean to tell me that he could not find a bus to put them on and send them back to where they came from?

At the end of the day, this is only the tip of the iceberg as far as the financial pain that Americans are going to have to endure. When Medicare and Social Security liabilities start to come due, there will be some serious belt tightening being done by all of us.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Are you referring to traffic or buildings on the side?

Traffic sucks AM/PM on 270, Rockville, Gaithersburg, and Bethesda is still pretty saturated with businesses, perhaps not too visible from the highway but they are there. CLose to the highways means an excessive amount of traffic.

Don't leave out Germantown. Cornfields I used to hunt in Germantown are now condo fields and townhouse fields. There is the Milestone Shopping Center and a couple others right at 270 and route 118. The Clarksburg development has consumed more farms than I even care to mention or think about.

Pretty soon, there will not be a farm left in Montgomery County.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    WRT Sequestration, all of these Dems and O'Malley supporters in Southern Maryland are about to get a big wake up call.
    What O'Moron supporters? Everybody I know despises the fascist twit. And Democrats are in a distinct minority everywhere outside the I-95 axis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom