• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Jul 22, 2021
    Just started reading it. Does it mention anything about primers to be used with their recommended loads? Hornady specifies primers, not seeing it here. Am I missing something? Basically looking to load 223 and 308 with Varget.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Just started reading it. Does it mention anything about primers to be used with their recommended loads? Hornady specifies primers, not seeing it here. Am I missing something? Basically looking to load 223 and 308 with Varget.
    Anecdotal evidence (my experience) has shown as much or more variation between lot numbers of a brand as there is between brands. When I crack a new lot, I tend to do some minor charge weight tuning. Currently, my 308 loads are using federal 210s but a previous barrel I ran CCI 200s and achieved the exact same ES. Sometimes primers make a difference, sometimes they don't. When I get a lot that just won't give me a respectable ES, I switch lots or brands (both seem to have a reasonable likelihood of improving results).

If you are pushing the top of pressure limits, stick to CCI, winchester, or Russian primers (tula, etc).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom