• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    Looking to buy a 20" or 24" HBAR barrel for a
    Bench shooting/varmint hunting rifle. I'm looking for the most accuracy and velocity I can get. Looking to shoot from 55g-77g ammo. Thinking I'm going to need a 1 in 8 twist.

Should I go 20" or 24"? Why?

Open to any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Price isn't much of an issue since this isn't a time sensitive build. I have my 6.8 to play with for now.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Looking to buy a 20" or 24" HBAR barrel for a
    Bench shooting/varmint hunting rifle. I'm looking for the most accuracy and velocity I can get. Looking to shoot from 55g-77g ammo. Thinking I'm going to need a 1 in 8 twist.

Should I go 20" or 24"? Why?

Open to any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Price isn't much of an issue since this isn't a time sensitive build. I have my 6.8 to play with for now.

If you want to check out a Shilen, let me know.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I get about 150-170fps greater velocity out of my 24" (Krieger barrel) varmint rig when compared to a 20" barrel. Old school varmint rigs usually have a lower twist rate and shoot lighter weight bullets... i.e. 50gr and below...

I bought mine well over ten years ago when long heavy barrels were all the rage. The number of manufacturers and quality of barrels has significantly increased over the past ten years. While it will never obtain the same crazy velocity readings as my 24" button cut Kreiger, I find my 18" cold hammer forged White Oak HBAR to be nearly as accurate and at half the cost.

Today... I would go with a quality 20" HBAR.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Personally I would go with a 20", not more velocity for the extra 4" of barrel.

Top of the line I would go kreiger, 1:7 twist.

Best bang for the buck, without a doubt White oak armament. I have a WOA personally and they shoot lights out. There is a reason when you walk down the line at camp Perry, there are 2 notable barrels, kreiger and white oak.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I have a 20" Krieger on an upper put together for me by compass lake. It will consistently shoot 1/2 moa with me behind the trigger. It would probably do even better with someone more competent at the helm.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    unless you will be weight and/or maneuverability-constrained, why not go longer? every little FPS increase gives you a flatter trajectory which gives you a little more cushion in distance and wind calls. i'd think making a longer barrel dead straight (ie accurate) would be harder than for a short barrel, but at a 20-26" range thinking that's not an issue. prob same thing with barrel flex. ed (mr shell to me...) will surely come along with the correct answer.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Personally I would go with a 20", not more velocity for the extra 4" of barrel.

Top of the line I would go kreiger, 1:7 twist.

Best bang for the buck, without a doubt White oak armament. I have a WOA personally and they shoot lights out. There is a reason when you walk down the line at camp Perry, there are 2 notable barrels, kreiger and white oak.

I haven't personally shot a Kreiger, but I have shot a WOA 20" SDM and can definitely say they shoot lights out. Ragged holes all day long.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    Kreigers rend to shoot really well. Get one with a matched bolt.

Where can I find one with a matched bolt?

I haven't personally shot a Kreiger, but I have shot a WOA 20" SDM and can definitely say they shoot lights out. Ragged holes all day long.

Is the SDM considered HBAR?

Also consider a Mega Arms barrel.

Will check em out, thanks!

Really liking the White Oak barrels. Wonder if the post ban service barrel or the varminters would be considered HBAR?

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    I cant answer that for you my friend. The longer barrel is not more accurate, it just gives you more velocity.

The twist selection depends on the projectiles you select.

I will have to see what the velocity difference would be. I would like to shoot from 55g plinking ammo to 77g smk. Is that possible?

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I will have to see what the velocity difference would be. I would like to shoot from 55g plinking ammo to 77g smk. Is that possible?

Not to step on Chad's toes, but yes 1:7 twist will shoot 55gr to 77gr well. If your mag feeding(which I would assume) the heaviest bullet you can mag load (2.260" if memory serves me well) is the 77gr SMK.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    Not to step on Chad's toes, but yes 1:7 twist will shoot 55gr to 77gr well. If your mag feeding(which I would assume) the heaviest bullet you can mag load (2.260" if memory serves me well) is the 77gr SMK.

From what I've been reading the 77 smk is the heaviest for mag loading which is what I want. So I believe you are correct.

Now I have to see if the varmint barrel is classified as an HBAR. Or the post ban service rifle barrel.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    Depends on how you read the law. The barrel is clearly an hbar type contour given the circumference, but I know Engage has these produced for them with an HBAR stamp for total compliance with the law. You may want to source it from them if they have any in stock.

I just called white oak directly and this is exactly what they told me.

Edit: Just talked to Ben at engage. They have them in stock at $375. That might be a winner!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom