• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tzoid

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 8, 2007
    Really? I missed the part when he asked for an opinion on if he should buy a .380. :rolleyes:

I have read that " I wouldn't trust my life" statement on gun forums so many times it really gets old...Ranks up there with the Eotech VS Aimpoint mess.

I'm sure your opinion is shared by many

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Really? I missed the part when he asked for an opinion on if he should buy a .380. :rolleyes:

I have read that " I wouldn't trust my life" statement on gun forums so many times it really gets old...Ranks up there with the Eotech VS Aimpoint mess.

I'm sure your opinion is shared by many

If he wasn't a friend I wouldn't have bothered. Technically 9x19 is .380 caliber if I'm not mistaken.

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    Funny you mention this. I had $400 and did just that! I bought the LCP after much investigation, shooting others guns etc...

I bought a new LCP. a spare mag and an IWB holster by Don Hume and still had a few bucks for 2-3 boxes of ammo!

It Shoots accurate, ate 3 different types of target ammo and then 2 boxes of Hornady Critical Defense ammo and it conceals like a dream.

Couldn't have done any better in my opinion.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    The barrels are the same diameter (Luger/Makarov/380), only difference is bullet weight.

Hence my comment about the best .380 being 9x19. It was just a joke for FPS that someone didn't appreciate. I do agree though it's a tired point.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Hence my comment about the best .380 being 9x19. It was just a joke for FPS that someone didn't appreciate. I do agree though it's a tired point.

Russ...there's a reason why I don't own a .380 and you've expressed it. The reason for this thread is if I had to own 1 .380 what would it be. I got a bunch of 9mm (9x19) but a nice small pocket pistol would be nice to have. something thats always in my pocket.

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    I love my Bersa .380CC. I carry it in my front pocket pretty much all the time when I'm home, and there's absolutely zero chance of it printing or any guests, visitors, or whoever being able to spot it. I've never handled the regular Bersa .380 outside of a shop so I don't know how big the difference is, but it seems the CC model is much more pocket/CC friendly. No, it's not as tiny as an LCP or P3AT, etc, but I can get all three fingers on the grip (long but skinny fingers), the barrel gives it a little extra velocity (which I particularly appreciate when using a somewhat anemic round), and follow-up shots are fast as all get-out. A solid, firm grip and I find it as controllable as a .22. 8+1 capacity doesn't hurt either.

I would say that for me, it's an ideal pocket pistol in that it's as big as a gun can be without being either cumbersome to me or visible to others at all. That said, I also dress fairly casually, so I could see a "true" pocket pistol being less cumbersome/visible in slacks or more formal wear.

Only other relevant thought I have is that I've never fired, but have dry-fired both an LCP and a P3AT, and the Ruger's trigger absolutely blows the KelTec out of the water. I didn't find the KelTec enjoyable at all, whereas the Ruger was pretty decent. I'm no wheelgun or DAO guy though so take that for what it's worth.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The barrels are the same diameter (Luger/Makarov/380), only difference is bullet weight.

There is a lot more difference than that, 380 and 9X19 use a .355" bullet, mak uses a .365", a slightly larger caliber, 380 has a max pressure of 21,500psi, mak is slightly higher, 23,000PSI if I remember correctly, 9mm is 35,000PSI, 9mm+p is 38,500.

Esentially 380 uses a straight walled case with a smaller base and rim diameter than the other 2, 9mm mak uses a straight walled case, with a larger base, 9x19 has a tapered case with a base about the same as the Makarov case, and tapers down to the smaller .355" bullet. Case length plays some role in allowing 9X19 to use a heavier bullet, more powder capacity, but it is the much higher pressure that gives it about double the power of the other 2.

As far as power, 380 is the lightest, with a typical 90gr bullet at 950FPS and 180FPE, Mak is close, but a bit more powerful, 95gr at 1050FPS for 230FPE, an "average" 124gr 9mm load at 1150fps makes 360FPE, and top 9mm+p loads can easily top 400FPE. Even though they are similarly sized, the power difference is signifigant.

As far as 380 not being enough gun, with FMJ, and some HP ammo out of longer barrels, it can penetrate 12" and can reach vitals where some smaller calibers like 25 and 32 probably can't, and is plenty capable of stopping a threat. Being the pistols can be small or very small in the case of the LCP, it can be concealed in cases where a larger pistol can't be. For me, I use my LCP as a backup to a larger caliber, but as a stand alone CCW, given good shot placement it can be effective(kinda goes for all calibers), just a smaller hammer than service calibers. In a case where you are faced with a threat, 380 offers the advantage of being there when you may have left your larger gun at home because you were "just running out for a second", and at close range, properly loaded, and fired rapidly COM, it can do the job, either to get away from the now injured assailant, or get your primary gun up and running. I don't practice "double taps" or strings of 2 or 3 shots with my pocket guns, I practice basically mag dumping, being the caliber is light, it may take a few more shots to do the job than a larger caliber, and if you are trained and prepared to dump 4-8 rounds in the target at close range from retension, it can be effective.

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    I noticed that no one mentioned the Sig P238. Maybe because is a little more than $400, but definitely a nice little gun. I own one and have another on order.

Agree on the P238. Mine was under $500, and well worth it to this point.

I will also be looking to order another (SAS, to go with the P239), and this one can go to the wife. She can actually rack this one!!
    :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom