• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    best for cheap reliable plinking or best for like .5 MOA groups best? wolf match .22 is incredibly impressive for accuracy..for reliable cheap plinking, federal bulk boxes have always functioned reliably for me.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    federal bulk boxes have always functioned reliably for me.

Of course they have. They turned my 10/22 into a Jam-O-Matic. Mine however will eat Remington Golden Bullets like a toddler eats Cheerios. In all honesty it's worth trying the Federals, they're cheap enough as bullets go.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Of course they have. They turned my 10/22 into a Jam-O-Matic. Mine however will eat Remington Golden Bullets like a toddler eats Cheerios. In all honesty it's worth trying the Federals, they're cheap enough as bullets go.

yeah, that's why i added the "for me" part. don't get it with .22's. remington goldens get strikes but don't light off in my sp22, but winchester hv and federal have always run great and shot fairly well. i don't really bother shooting golden's anymore cause it's such a pain to have to manually rack the slide and pop the dented cartridge out once every mag or so. for a little more money though, the wolf ammo shot incredible and never had a problem with it firing.

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    22lr.gif

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    CCI Mini Mags!

+1 :thumbsup:

I've fired "whatever I could find available" .22 ammo in a variety of guns. My bolt and lever action rifles eat about anything they're fed. Accuracy varies and the clean up afterwards is what it is. Some brands of cheap .22 ammo are worse than others.

For my "more picky" semi-auto rifles and pistols, CCI Mini Mags are my benchmark. If one of my guns doesn't like them...there's an issue with the gun needing attention.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    My best advice is buy a box of everything you can get your hands on. See whats shoots the most accurate/reliable for the dollar and use that.

Many 10/22's have sharp chamber/breach edges which can cause feeding/extraction issues. It will cause dented rounds, shaved lead and brass shavings.

Much of the "Match" ammo is underpowered aso take that into consideration because it may not extract/cycle in your gun. You can do mods to your recoil spring, bolt carrier, and hammer to help cycle lower powered ammo. If you do this you HAVE to put in a softer buffer to save the receiver.

Good luck and congrats on having one of the finest .22 rifles ever made.

:)

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    yeah, that's why i added the "for me" part. don't get it with .22's. remington goldens get strikes but don't light off in my sp22, but winchester hv and federal have always run great and shot fairly well. i don't really bother shooting golden's anymore cause it's such a pain to have to manually rack the slide and pop the dented cartridge out once every mag or so. for a little more money though, the wolf ammo shot incredible and never had a problem with it firing.

Goldens would fire reliably in my old Buckmark at all. It liked the Winchesters. My general experience is that bulk .22 is of very random quality levels.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    I have always had good luck with Federal "AutoMatch" in the black and tan bulk packs of 325. You can find it at many Wal-Marts. It says on the box they are made for semi autos and I don't think I've ever had one stovepipe or jam with them in my 10/22 or my .22 pistol. I've shot at least 700 rounds so far and it's my favorite because of the price and reliability. CCI minimags and stingers also work great for me but tend to cost anywhere from $7 to $16 for 100 rounds.
    American Eagle by Federal(in the red box) is some of the worst I've tried in my 10/22 with a jam at least every 5 shots. Of course for best results don't forget to clean that 10/22 at least every 500 rounds!

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    My best advice is buy a box of everything you can get your hands on. See whats shoots the most accurate/reliable for the dollar and use that.

Many 10/22's have sharp chamber/breach edges which can cause feeding/extraction issues. It will cause dented rounds, shaved lead and brass shavings.

Much of the "Match" ammo is underpowered aso take that into consideration because it may not extract/cycle in your gun. You can do mods to your recoil spring, bolt carrier, and hammer to help cycle lower powered ammo. If you do this you HAVE to put in a softer buffer to save the receiver.

Good luck and congrats on having one of the finest .22 rifles ever made.

:)

I've never fired a single round of match ammo that wouldn't cycle my stock 10/22 T and I've tried them all. Match ammo is the only thing I shoot in my rifle.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    ooh, being a .22 thread....what kind've luck do people have with the sss cartridges in their ar 1/9 barrels? i'm thinkin of gettin a cmmg conversion and stumbled on these little joys that look like they need a 1/9 twist to work right. just sparked my curiosity and wanted to hear from anyone that's used them for accuracy/functionality.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=135961
    aguila sss.jpg

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    ooh, being a .22 thread....what kind've luck do people have with the sss cartridges in their ar 1/9 barrels? i'm thinkin of gettin a cmmg conversion and stumbled on these little joys that look like they need a 1/9 twist to work right. just sparked my curiosity and wanted to hear from anyone that's used them for accuracy/functionality.
    View attachment 11883

I'd like to try that combo myself. Just looking for the right deal on a .22 conversion bolt.

zebramochaman

May 3, 2009
    Damascus, MD
    My stock 10/22 seems to like whatever I feed it except for bulk Winchester. I am too inexperienced in shooting to be able to tell if its the ammo or my senior citizen's eyes effecting my accuracy.

saltydog

Thank You NRA
    Feb 13, 2009
    The State of confusion
    I found my 10/22 shoots just about anything at all without any problem. What I experienced was when using the real cheap ammo from Walmart (like Remington Thunderbolt). My accuracy really suffered compared to if I used something like Wold or CCI ammo.

Depending on what kind of shooting your going to do? Is what type of ammo I'd put in it. If your going to set up a nice scope and get it adjusted? Then do yourself a favor and use Wolf Target or CCI Mini Mag to zero the scope in. If not? I've found the cheap ammo doesn't fly near as nice or is anywhere as accurate.

One word of caution. Ammo like Remington Thunderbolts I have found will leave a build-up of wax or something that is used during manufacturing that eventually coats the inside of the barrel of the rifle. This stuff is hard to clean out of the barrel, and will trash any accuracy you may be looking for. The only fix is spending time cleaning that barrel making sure that build-up is completely removed. It may take shooting a couple of hundred rounds for this build-up to take place? But it does.

Ask me how I know?

Onua

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2008
    Carroll County
    View attachment 11883

i had a case of these that i ran through the Mosquito with the can, they tumbled rather quickly, better results out of the ruger single six, they performed well in the 10/22, but they are DIRTY.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mr88

Latest threads

Top Bottom