• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ARMERICA

Feb 23, 2016
    Bel Air, MD
    A bit of an experiement here, and also looking for some leads to do some homework on, so here's the request... (no bashing other's posts, replies, or links):

POST A LINK FOR YOUR CHOICE TO THE FOLLOWING...

Everyone has their own opinion and this is what I'm looking for - the most devastating 5.56 round. Real simple, I'm not looking for "for squirrels us X and for elephants use X"... or at 100 yards use X or 5 miles use X."

I talking one shot, stop & drop (in theory). If you had to take a shot - whatever shot you envision - and you believed you had to have one specific round, what would it be... think brain matter vaporization. Don't care about variables like, "Well after a nuclear blast that would require me to take such shots, the reversal of global pole magnitism will impact a copper jacket transverse to the coefficient etc etc.
    Bzzzt, not what we're going for here. Also don't care what the cost per round is, don't careally about sup ply vs demand... just has to be a currently manufactured ammunition.

You gotta take a "life or death" shot. What's your bullet? That simple. POST A LINK TO THE ROUND YOU SPECIFY PLEASE. Thanks for the input and I hope the exercise was a little fun for ya.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    m193 (55gr ball). I don't really think it matters who makes it (unless that sub moa accuracy is calling to you, but for 2MOA you should be good to go)

5.56 (or .223 for that matter) will penetrate level III soft body armor no problem, no matter the bullet. m193 is devastating in soft tissue, more so than 855. Will also penetrate as effectively in a human type target (to 300 m). if armor is worn to stop rifle rounds , it will likely stop 855 as well as 193. 855 will fare better against steel plates than ball ammo, but as was mentioned above, placement can help with that problem.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Whatever I have loaded in the first magazine I grab. This is almost as much potential fun as the "9 vs 40 vs 45" debate, with just as clear a "right" answer. For me it's likely to be M193 equivalent of some flavor.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I pull 33 grain projectiles from 22 Hornet cartridges, seat them over 35 grains of Clays, compressed load of course, 112,000 CUP. Completely devastating to everything with in 5 feet of said load.
    Disclaimer, DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME, EVER!!!!!

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Federal Fusion 62gr
    Bonded Soft Point devastating on hoomins and deer. Not so great on pigs.

Runners up:
    Mk 318 SOST (62 grain OTM)
    Mk 262 (77 grain OTM)

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Federal Fusion 62gr Bonded Soft Point devastating on hoomins and deer. Not so great on pigs. Runners up: Mk 318 SOST (62 grain OTM) Mk 262 (77 grain OTM)

Find the boolit that is great on pigs. That's what I would use for SHTF.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Find the boolit that is great on pigs. That's what I would use for SHTF.

Winchester Razorback XT.
    Bullet is constructed differently than your standard softpoint to penetrate then expand versus straight expansion from a normal softpoint. But pigs are built much differently than us meatsacks and they may overpenetrate as pigs are much more muscle dense and their bones are thicker. So deer bullets work fine for hoomins with the added bonus that you can use cheap crappy M855 to get a rough zero and the similar bullet weights will work roughly with most BDC reticles (which are calibrated almost universally to M855)

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If it is one bullet to rule them all for all occasions, probably M855 if it had to be .223/5.56. I'd want something with better hard target penetration than an expanding construction round if I needed to shoot someone through cover or light armor (or both).

But if we were talking do as much as possible, I'd go something in 22lr to carry ridiculous volumes of ammo or I'd go .308 and probably then settle on a bonded expanding point construction round. Just my opinion, but .223/5.56 has too many compromises both ways. Not nearly as much carrying capacity as .22lr, too much damage for small game and FMJs just don't have nearly the kind of stopping power on people or larger animals that I'd want. .22lr at least you can carry tons and up through medium sized game a headshot is pretty likely to prove lethal and great on small game and people (yeah much less damage to people, so you hit them with 10+ rounds).

.308, even in FMJ has lots of stopping power even on large game and lots of penetration ability even if you can't carry as much if it as 5.56/.223, but it also isn't the same disparity. You can carry, what? Roughly half as much .308 for the same weight/volume as 5.56/.223? Where as 22lr you can carry about 3x more than you can if 5.56/.223

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    There is no single answer, because the capability to penetrate intermediate car windshields or less extent bodies is a game changer.

The various mid weight (62-65gr) bonded soft point , usually advertised as "Barrier Blind" , and midweight (50-55gr) X Bullets will penetrate barriers, AND give good terminal effect (, and be decent for deer within the context of 5.56).

If barrier penetration is not important, or is wished to be avoided on purpose, there are a plethora of additional options, most of which are less pricey.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    The one cartridge that will do everything will be found right after the all the targets and shooting situations are identical happens.

You gotta take a "life or death" shot.

If it is my life or death it won't be with any 5.56/.223!
    "Bigger Deeper more frequent holes incapacitate quicker."

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom