• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PleaseEatSomePoo

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2009
    Baltimore
    What are your thoughts on the sub 200 dollar shotguns?
    Im thinking HR Pardners, Mavericks, IAC Hawks, etc etc.

I've got some money burning a hole in my pocket and I would like to hold out for an IAC Hawk, but im curious as to what the rest of you think about the budget shooters that are commonly available at most big box stores.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    Ain't basspro having their hunting sale soon? And I thought they put the 870 on sale for just over $200 but I could be wrong

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    Have the Basspro flyer in hand and they will have a bunch of guns on sale. The 870 Express is $270 after mail in rebate. Sale runs 8/21 - 8/30.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I bought a used Mossberg 500 for $225 and a used Winchester 1300 for $200.
    Both were like new. Sit on that money and wait for a deal.

D-Log

Jan 29, 2015
    Reisterstown
    You just missed summit selling a bunch of $180 Wingmaster 870's, but you should be able to get a maverick 88 for under $200. It was my first gun, and I've never had any issues with it, but if an 870 shows up for about as much, that's a good choice too.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    I have a Pardner Pump and it is one tough shotgun. I've read that the IAC shotguns and the Pardners are both produced at the same Chinese factory, though the receivers have some differences.

The Pardner is heavily built, no sintered metal parts like an 870 Express, and mine at least has been dependable. Worth taking a look at one. BTW Tyler's (an IP) usually has one of the IAC guns in stock.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Call around the pawn shops and see if you can find a used Mossberg 500 or Remington 870. Northwestern Loan (nwpawn.com) might have something.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    Pawn shops are typically full of many perfectly functioning 500s and 870s with some wear on them. You can get one for less than 200 sometimes and do some refinish work and reconfiguring with different parts and barrels to get what you want.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Yes, I agree with those above saying to search out a used 500 or 870. You'll be much happier in the end. Should either need repair in the future, parts are everywhere. Resale value will be better when/if you sell to upgrade.

Try to find a part for a Pardner or IAC 10 years from now...

mka2278

Nov 1, 2013
    Maverick 88 is a good choice. Have one with no hickups whatsoever.
    And it is essentially a Mossy 500. Made by mossy and uses/ accepts all mossy parts and barrels. I have multiple barrels and stocks that I swap out for cheap fun. Not fancy, but it's a tough and versatile "truck gun" you can beat the hell out of.

If you can wait until Black Friday dicks sporting goods has great sales on all listed. You can get a maverick for under 175.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Best you can do for ~$200 is buy a used Remington 870 Police Wingmaster. It puts new shotguns in the same price range to shame. I think Lou still has some.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Personally , I'd go usef for that $ range. In addition to the usual M870 and M500 suspects , I've come to really like the Win M1200/1300, underrated and underpriced.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    ^ the Winchester defender is a really solid gun plus you get 7 in the tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom