• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The origional 215gr no longer offered by major mfgs. The 125ish bullets offered for 7.62x39s probably have a long jump in already generous throat. 174 match bullets, and 180 RN & Spitzers like choice. Don't have personal experience, but data is available for most medium to slow powders.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Reloading for my Enfields is what got me started many years ago - be careful, reloading is addictive...:innocent0 It really depends on your rifle and intent. Lambo asks a good question and Biggfoot44 points out some bullet options.

I have an older No.1 MK III with a worn bore and a No. 4 Mk2 that was never fired before I got it. I load differently for each one.
    - For my No.1 MK III anymore I tend to use home-cast g/c'd .312/185 gr boolits on top of 16 grs of 2400 (C.E. Harris' "universal recipe": http://home.comcast.net/~gavinsw/guns/castbulletmilitaryrifle.pdf). They are light loads, work well and don't over stress my rifle or the cases.
    - For my No. 4 I've used many different .311 & .312 commercial and milsurp projectiles. 150 gr and above have always given me accurate range results. There are a variety of powders that different folks swear by for military rounds. I started out 20+ years ago with IMR3031 and have always stayed with it - only because I know it (and how it performs for me). A while back I picked up some bulk 147 gr/.311 mil-pulls from Wideners. I've used them in my Mosins, Arisaka and Enfields. They've shot as accurately as any commercial bullets I've tried.

I've never tried 125-ish bullets intended for 7.62x39 cartridges and see no need to. They're too light for a .303 powder charge, velocity will increase significantly and that couldn't be good for accuracy or the bore IMHO.

Case life is a consideration. SMLE chambers are noted for being over-sized. To extend case life I went to neck-sizing only quite a while ago.

There is plenty to learn about the 303B round if you plan on reloading for it. Do some research. It was a terrific round to learn about when I started reloading. The only regret I have is now I reload for umpteen different calibers...:)

Good luck on your quest. There are many folks on this forum who can provide input.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I've had good luck with 174gr sierra match kings over 42gr of varget to a 3.075" OAL in Remington brass. Shoots about as well as my No4 MKII is capable of

tttongli

Oct 3, 2008
    HOWARD
    I have a No.4 MkI. I will prob go with 170-180 gr bullets, coz that's about the same as the ones I will use for hunting. I'd like to keep it consistent. I think I will give IMR3031 + 174gr sierra match kings a try to get the ball rolling. Thanks for the info.

If you have more to add to the topic, be my guest and fire away. Thanks.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    IMR 4064 is good for WWII Type Performance

Although I've never used IMR4064 I've always heard good things about it for military rounds like 303B.

BTW...seems that's the muzzle of an Enfield on trapture's avitar. I've always noticed that...am I wrong? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom