• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Colada

Sep 15, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    I'm tall and have large hands, so I don't care for the smallest models. Would you mind sharing your recommendation and what makes it better than the rest (or at least some)? I don't have a caliber preference (9mm at least), and anything with 10+ rounds works for me.

I'm buying an XDM 9mm now for fun, but think it may not be best for carrying.

Appreciate your thoughts! :)

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    something kahr?...what kind've loot you looking to spend? summer vs winter clothes? what kind've training u have?(would a revolver be better for a tense situation or a semi?) would you be comfortable holding a kel-tec pf-9 or kahr pm9 or conversely, would you be comfortable carrying a glock 30 all day everywhere you go? how about a fnp-45 with 16 rounds of 45? alot of personal preference here and what you're comfortable carrying/shooting. come to one of our shoots and shoot some people's guns or rent some from continental or on-target and see what works best with you...i wouldn't recommend taurus...but some people love their pt145's...kind've a find what works for you and test shoot alot kinda thing

xd40c

Business Owner-Gun Toter
    Sep 20, 2007
    East Earl, PA
    First, there is no "best". If there was, everyone would buy that and the rest would fall by the roadside...so to speak.

Now when we say what's best for YOU, then we can make a recommendation.

If you're carrying CCW than you'll want as small as possible. That will require you to handle the weapon to see what feels best for you (both in your hand at the range and under your belt). Don't be bashful with this. I CCW daily. It's a pain.

If you're going to OC, than it's more a matter of finding what you like and what you can shoot straight.

As for quality, any of the name brand weapons will provide reliable service. Other than some inexpensive brands, there isn't anything out there I would advise against.

Good luck and have fun finding your "BEST" gun! If you're like me, your best will be a S&W M&P .40. / XD .40 Compact / Walther P99 QA .40 / S&W Model 29 .44 Mag (my new favorite) / Or maybe even the H&K USP Tactical .45 with suppressor. Whew...I need a new hobby...:party29:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You do NOT necessarily want as small as possible ( at least not for a primary, or probably secondary).
    You want a gun that fits YOUR hand , is in a reasonably adaquate cal , and is 100% reliable.
    Concealment is a clothing and holster issue, rarely a gun issue.
    If you are pleased with how your XD feels and shoots for you, you already have your answer.

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    Wow, I don't know that there would be one answer.

I love my PT145 and it would be and every day gun. 100% reliable, accurate to 10 yds, small, light, and 10+1 rounds of .45 goodness. The drawback is that there is no double action.

I have handled and shot some Kahrs and they feel great for their size (I too have big hands with long fingers).

I haven't shot the Kel Tecs, but they have always felt like toys to be, NO disrespect, just a fell thing for me personally.

I also don't think you could beat a PPK. It may not pack the punch you want, but you can't beat the size and reliability.

I know someone with a very small Kimber that is AMAZINGLY smooth and accurate to 10 yards.

I really think a revolver for a secondary is smart. I figure if you are in the situation to need it, that extra reliability of a revolver would feel comforting.

Just from having thought about it a lot, I don't think there is a "one gun" solution. There would be times when you were dressed lightly and the gun you might like (larger caliber/capacity) would be tough to carry. Something like an LCP might be great for summer wear or when a jacket/untucked shirt is impossible (personally, I have loved shooting the LCP even though it feels very small in my hand.

Lastly, I would say you need to think about the operation of the peice and how you want to carry....location, style, and condition. You might not be comfortable carrying a PT145 with one in the chamber and only the safety as...well....a safety given that there is no double action on the first pull. Depends on what you are comfortable with and used to. Something to drop into a pocket may not produce the power/capacity you want.

Just thoughts.

Splitter

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    Wow, I don't know that there would be one answer.

I love my PT145 and it would be and every day gun. 100% reliable, accurate to 10 yds, small, light, and 10+1 rounds of .45 goodness. The drawback is that there is no double action.

I have handled and shot some Kahrs and they feel great for their size (I too have big hands with long fingers).

I haven't shot the Kel Tecs, but they have always felt like toys to be, NO disrespect, just a fell thing for me personally.

I also don't think you could beat a PPK. It may not pack the punch you want, but you can't beat the size and reliability.

I know someone with a very small Kimber that is AMAZINGLY smooth and accurate to 10 yards.

I really think a revolver for a secondary is smart. I figure if you are in the situation to need it, that extra reliability of a revolver would feel comforting.

Just from having thought about it a lot, I don't think there is a "one gun" solution. There would be times when you were dressed lightly and the gun you might like (larger caliber/capacity) would be tough to carry. Something like an LCP might be great for summer wear or when a jacket/untucked shirt is impossible (personally, I have loved shooting the LCP even though it feels very small in my hand.

Lastly, I would say you need to think about the operation of the peice and how you want to carry....location, style, and condition. You might not be comfortable carrying a PT145 with one in the chamber and only the safety as...well....a safety given that there is no double action on the first pull. Depends on what you are comfortable with and used to. Something to drop into a pocket may not produce the power/capacity you want.

Just thoughts.

Splitter

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    As others have said there is no universal "best" carry weapon. It takes more work IMO finding a holster, belt and getting used to carrying than it takes to find a good carry gun. It all comes down to a compromise, basically balancing the pysical size of the gun to the carry method, and your body type. To conceal carry, you have to shoot a few pistols and basically find one that falls between the smallest gun you can comfortably shoot proficiently, in a service caliber with decent capacity, and the largest easiest to shoot gun that you can comfortably conceal. For most that falls somewhere in the range of compact to mid size double stack pistols. In certain cases you may choose to go smaller or larger as weather allows better or worse clothing for concealment, sometimes leading to 2 different guns to carry, if this is the case, keeping them both the same action type simplifies training, with a GLOCK 26 or similar compact/sub compact pistol in the summer and a GLOCK 19 or similar compact/mid-size in the winter. In some cases carrying with a flat base concealable mag in the summer and an extended mag in the winter can be a good option.

For me, I carry an M&P compact daily with a flat base mag in a IWB desantis cozy partner during the summer, and with an extended mag in a Don Hume high ride OWB pancake holster in fall and spring jacket weather. During the winter I carry a GLOCK 30(carries in the same holsters as the M&P), and sometimes in the spring and fall with a flat base mag in light jacket weather, and with the extended mag in heavy coat weather, I just like having the extra peice of mind of 230gr+p HSTs and better penetration when an attacker might be wearing a heavy jacket compared to the 124gr+p HSTs I carry in the M&P compact. I also carry a spare extended mag in a buck knife holster or weak side pocket holster with either rig, this allows a total of 25rds of 9mm with the m&p or 20-21 rounds of 45ACP with the GLOCK. Being the GLOCK is a good bit bulkier than the M&P it does not conceal well under a t-shirt, and sits home in the summer. You really do want to carry a spare mag, both to ensure a reload if needed, and perhaps more importantly as a tool to clear a jam. I practice with them both often, but when switching to one or the other, I spend an hour or two and a couple hundred rounds at the range to get farmiliar with then, eventhough both are DAO striker fired, the GLOCK has a good bit more recoil, and it takes a little getting used to.

When I first started carring often, I kept trying out small autos and J-frame revolvers because the bigger guns I now carry were not comfortable IWB, however spending the money on good holsters and a strong belt made all the difference in the world, and the LCP and Kahr PM9 are relegated to backup duty in a weak side pocket holster. you really do get what you pay for when it comes to holsters, and if you plan on carrying with any frequency the few bucks more on a good peice of leather or kydex can make it possible to carry a gun comfortably where it might otherwise not be. I also started wearing an untucked button up shirt year round, instead of just in the winter, this small change in dress makes the M&P practically dissapear in the summer, and allows me to tuck my t-shirt in in order to make the IWB holster even more comfortable being it is not in contact with my skin. In cases where I am doing yard work, or doing some sort of physical activity where anything more than a t-shirt is unbearably hot, I open carry in a safariland ALS retension holster, this places the gun further away from my body, and is about as comfortable as you can get, for the most part I only open carry on my property, and if I have to run out, I swap to the IWB and button up shirt rig.

I know the best way to pick what your rig will be is to read up, try out rigs, and carry. Even then you will probably change a thing or two until you find a setup that works for you personally, but hopefully my experiences over the last couple of years can help show the importance of the holster, clothing and spare magcarrier in addition to the gun itself that seems to get the most attention and most opinions on what everyone likes.

S7300506.jpg

S7300507.jpg

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Repeat over and over to your self " Dress around the gun" . Thousands of people conceal full size 1911 . By comparison a 4in XD only requires moderate thought and effort.
    Reality check : for vast majority of people a pistol large enough for all around service as a primary gun will require more clothing than a T shirt. But it is no big deal to wear a real shirt. It can be as dressy, casual, or seasonally comfortable ass desired.
    And two is one, and one is none. Two can bbe concealed as easily as one. The second can be somewhat smaller than primary, but you still need adaquate control annd accuraccy. Accuraccy out to aprox 2/3 of your main pistol could suffice.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Repeat over and over to your self " Dress around the gun" . Thousands of people conceal full size 1911 . By comparison a 4in XD only requires moderate thought and effort.

BINGO. I can conceal a Glock 22 year round. Pick a great gun, match it with a few high quality holsters and then make the tweeks you need to your wardrobe.

Fustercluck

Aug 4, 2008
    Eastern Shore
    H&K P7M13, with a good aftermarket refinishing job (chrome,
    NP3, or Roguard, etc). If my hands were big enough, that is
    what I would carry day in and day out, but I have
    little gurly hands, so I carry a p7m8 ( 8 rds as opposed to 13).
    Much more comfortable to carry IWB than my glock 23, and I shoot
    it much better. Many "gun-wise" people have proclaimed it to be the best
    ccw handgun ever.

So there.

D

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    I can't remember the actual quote, but. The best carry gun is one you WILL ALWAYS CARRY.
    Try to find something that is comfortable to wear all day. Bullseye guns are very accurate but you can't carry one all day. People will argue all day long about what the minimum caliber for a carry gun is. A 380 in your hand beats a 45 at home. Chances are you will never need or use it and the one shot kill you see on TV is just that, TV.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Ruger GP100 3" or 1911 LW Commander or Officer's Model.

Summer time - Milt Sparks Summer Special is the best. I also love a Yaqui slide for outside the belt.

For long drives or getting in/out of a car, consider a cross draw rig for comfort and accessibility

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member

Hey Splitter, I thought the PT145 is double action only? Do you mean there is no single action perhaps??? In a ccw I prefer double action only. I can't think of a situation where single action would be needed in concealed carry.

But anyway, I agree that you won't find very many, if any, other .45 cal that packs so many rounds into suck a small package.

If you want 9mm, I have the Bersa Thuner 9 Ultra Compact which has been terrific. 100% reliable, very reasonably priced, and hold 13+1 rounds. Gun is compact but not too small. Very comfortable to shoot. Fits my hand like a glove.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    I can't remember the actual quote, but. The best carry gun is one you WILL ALWAYS CARRY.
    Try to find something that is comfortable to wear all day. Bullseye guns are very accurate but you can't carry one all day. People will argue all day long about what the minimum caliber for a carry gun is. A 380 in your hand beats a 45 at home. Chances are you will never need or use it and the one shot kill you see on TV is just that, TV.

Very true. That's why I wound up getting a Kahr PM9. I wanted a reliable 9mm that I could pocket-carry. I tried using my Bersa with a IWB holster and found out that I rarely carried it because it was just uncomfortable to wear. With a Kahr and a pocket holser it nearly disappears. I barely know it's there. For me, that was the difference between having a 9mm in my pocket vs having a 9mm sitting at home in the safe.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    I can't think of a situation where single action would be needed in concealed carry.

I'm confused by that statement AK.

I carry a commander length 1911 when not at work and a G27 when at work. A good piece of leather on a good belt will make any gun easy and comfortable to carry.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    I'm confused by that statement AK.

I carry a commander length 1911 when not at work and a G27 when at work. A good piece of leather on a good belt will make any gun easy and comfortable to carry.

The statement you quoted doesn't seem to match your reply, but if you were talking about my comment that I don't see a need for single action - Seems like every small (pocket carry) gun out there is double action only. Many, like the Kahr PM9, KT P380, and Ruger LCP are striker fired dao. My comment was that I can't really see a need for single action for concealed carry. In a situation where I would need to use a carry piece, I want something with no safety, no hammer to catch on my clothes, and something where all I have to do it pull the trigger. I don't see a situation where I would pull the gun out, manually pull back the trigger (single action) and then fire???

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom