Best option for part-time instructor to hold live fire components?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BurtonRW

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2007
    Pasadena
    I've been a certified instructor for ages (picked that up as an interesting thing to do, not an income source), but I've only worked with full-time instructors to cover the NRA's requirement that the legal bits be taught by someone qualified (I'm an attorney).

Not infrequently, I'll get emails from folks looking for their HQL who found my name on MSP's website, but I'm not set up to help them out. I figure why shouldn't I be?

I just have no idea where I'd go for the live fire portion of either HQL or NRA courses. I have property where I shoot, but it's not mine and I'm not interested in all of the issues that could come from inviting students on to the property for that, even if it was okay with the owners.

Any suggestions? (I'm in AA Co., but certainly wouldn't mind driving a bit for a convenient range I could use without too much trouble.)

Thanks.

-Rob

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    First thing make sure you have instructor insurance if you are qualifiying and teaching students. You don't want something silly to happen during class, or have something come back to bite you.

The live fire portion is the pain in the butt part, but you can check with local ranges and see what they would do for you. Unfortunately most don't want independent instructors using the ranges for qualifications, they have their own people usually.

If a range is ok with you using it i am sure a cost will be involved.

Good luck, TD

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom