55.751244 / 37.618423
    Md Elite, 2A.
    As far as makes.
    Older Kimbers, New Kimbers "pass" ain't worth the $$$$
    Colts ...older 70 Series. Gold Cups, NM
    Springfield, RIA, Tisas, Bul Armory
    Dan Wesson. There are other $$$$$

Add a 10mm to the list

Like to place the 1911's in a Ransom Rest to see what they do.

-Rock

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Long term- watch the CMP. Sometime later in 2024, expect them to take applications for SURPLUS 1911's.

ROUND 4 1911 ANNOUNCEMENT​

THE PROCEDURES FOR PURCHASING 1911 TYPE PISTOLS FROM CMP 1911

Round 4 M1911 Pistol orders closed on October 31, 2023. Sign up for CMP Sales Email updates to learn more and receive updates.

Looks like they bumped the prices up a bit, when I got mine the rack grade was $850

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Agreed- but they (like others) can happily order anything for you.

While undoubtedly true , my impression is that the OP is looking to do hands on comparison of multiple mid to high end 1911 and 1911 Adjacent at one location . The consensus for near to him is Maryland Elite .

Since the OP places emphasis on the History and Heritage of the 1911 , he might be a candidate for Genuine Little Horses . notwithstanding the quality or value of the other brands mentioned .

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Dan Wesson uses a series 70 firing system so it has neither the series 80, or Swarts safety.
    They also use all forged parts that are hand fitted.
    They are probably the finest production 1911 on the market today.

I was unaware that Dan Wesson was a series 70 system, good to know.

After a little research, the Dan Wesson Heritage and Valor both use a MIM magazine release. Perhaps @SkiPatrolDude can confirm or deny this as he has one. (The mag release will have a casting line if MIM)

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I’d love to pick one up as well, I don’t own any 1911 or revolver.

IMG_2349.jpeg

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Here is another recommendation for Maryland's Elite Firearms. I've seen Dan carry a number of 1911's in his shop. The first ever firearm I bought from him was a Sig 1911.

Cal68

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Md Elite, 2A.
    As far as makes.
    Older Kimbers, New Kimbers "pass" ain't worth the $$$$
    Colts ...older 70 Series. Gold Cups, NM
    Springfield, RIA, Tisas, Bul Armory
    Dan Wesson. There are other $$$$$

Add a 10mm to the list

Like to place the 1911's in a Ransom Rest to see what they do.

-Rock
    What's an older Kimber? Mine was purchased in 2005. Never had a single malfunction.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    What's an older Kimber? Mine was purchased in 2005. Never had a single malfunction.
    About that range and before..and not to be smart you answered your own. Question..2005 never any malfunction(s)

Take yours apart, look at the quality of workmanship, finish, the fitting of parts, then take a new one apart. Look closely at it.plus some other things.

I'm no gunsmith, nor 1911 expert, taking the human out of the equation, ie: using a Ransom Rest, the newer ones jam ( as mentioned ) some accuracy is not that great, etc. Given known accurate loads, and yes I know about certain loads work better in certain guns. Use H&G 68 style bullets, Zero 185gr JHP bullets, yeah I know the spring # also effects the functionality.I just tell people if you get a new one and it shoots good, works reliably consider yourself lucky. For what they want they just ain't worth it. YMMV ...

A little reading

-Rock

Last edited:

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    About that range and before..and not to be smart you answered your own. Question..2005 never any malfunction(s)

Take yours apart, look at the quality of workmanship, finish, the fitting of parts, then take a new one apart. Look closely at it.plus some other things.

I'm no gunsmith, nor 1911 expert, taking the human out of the equation, ie: using a Ransom Rest, the newer ones jam ( as mentioned ) some accuracy is not that great, etc. Given known accurate loads, and yes I know about certain loads work better in certain guns. Use H&G 68 style bullets, Zero 185gr JHP bullets, yeah I know the spring # also effects the functionality.I just tell people if you get a new one and it shoots good, works reliably consider yourself lucky. For what they want they just ain't worth it. YMMV ...

A little reading

-Rock
    Gotcha, all I know is that it has never malfunctioned. Eats basically only Winchester crap ammo and can hit a 6" plate at 25yds. That works for me. The slide could be a little tighter.

I need to take it out again soon and give it some love. It was a gift for my 30th so I didn't get to pick. I would have liked a rail but that isn't a deal breaker.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Gotcha, all I know is that it has never malfunctioned. Eats basically only Winchester crap ammo and can hit a 6" plate at 25yds. That works for me. The slide could be a little tighter.

I need to take it out again soon and give it some love. It was a gift for my 30th so I didn't get to pick. I would have liked a rail but that isn't a deal breaker.
    I owned a Kimber that never had problems, just sold it because it became a safe queen after I bought my Dan Wesson. Kimber largely makes perfectly acceptable 1911's, but they are definitely marketed to be something better than they really are. That and the fact that the 1911 market has gotten a lot more competitive in the sub $1000 price point, there are alot more options to consider that are arguably better. The lower end Springfields or even Tisas at the very low end are arguably better guns.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I owned a Kimber that never had problems, just sold it because it became a safe queen after I bought my Dan Wesson. Kimber largely makes perfectly acceptable 1911's, but they are definitely marketed to be something better than they really are. That and the fact that the 1911 market has gotten a lot more competitive in the sub $1000 price point, there are alot more options to consider that are arguably better. The lower end Springfields or even Tisas at the very low end are arguably better guns.
    Honestly I shoot my G41 a lot more, more capacity, not finicky, and easy to modify, also has a threaded barrel for suppressed. For the .45 the G41 is my go to. I wanted a 1911 because I feel like every "gun guy" should have some kind of 1911. My dad asked me what pistol I wanted for my 30th and I said a 1911. The Kimber is what I got and it's mine forever now. The 2 tone finish does look nice and the 1911 grip feels good in the hand.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Feel the Kimber love . Just joking .
    I have some friends up there in MD before
    we moved who had Kimbers, some were great,
    others not so great. Some "rattled" more than the 1939 Colt I have. My thing is your "paying" for it, and it should work. Own some low end / entry level 1911's, most seem to eat anything, the ones that don't its mainly the load, not enough powder to work cycle the slide correctly. The AMT hardballers and long slides were notorious for galling, feeding nothing less than "ball" ammo, the ones here, only issue was the "ball ammo only", changed to lighter spring and its good. The BBR 3.10 45acp is a handful, even with the ported barrel / slide, small grip, eats everything, it comes with 2 springs, but swapped out the guide rod / spring with a EGW kit. Its an mate to the Para Warthog. So I'm used to it. My favorites are my Clark Customs, Bar-Sto barrels, etc.

I've had good luck with the Tisas, RIA FS Tactical and the lower end Springfield Armory. Looking at a "cheap" 10mm project

-Rock

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    First of all, if you want an "American history" 1911, you should just buy a WWII 1911 or maybe one of the CMP 1911s. New production 1911s are purely commercial products.

My experience with 1911s is that none of them run the way I want out of the box, and I wind up swapping springs, parts, etc. to make them work like I need them to. That's been true for $2000 1911s as much as $500 1911s. Personal opinion, but at the ~$1000 price point, BUL's 1911s are kinda hard to beat unless you have very specific requirements like an optics cut and/or accessory rail.

MDElite

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2011
    Dan Wesson or Springfield would be my choices under $2k.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom