• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    What kinds of firearms do you have experience with? What kind of environmental concerns are there? By that, I mean are you in an apartment with thin walls and lots of people around you, or are you in a stand-alone home by yourself? Are you looking for a rifle that you're hunkering down behind a door with or something more compact that allows you to move(like if you'd need to go get your kids for instance). What kind of budget do you have?

I like semiautomatic, short rifles chambered in an intermediate rifle cartridge for HD. Something like a 5.56 tavor, 9" 300blk AR, 14.5" 5.56 AR, etc... give you a lot of capability. I also like 77gr 5.56 or 300 blk BECAUSE it punches through barriers. For my situation, I'm likely to be shooting down from the top of the stairs and don't need to worry as much about overpenetration. I WANT a defensive load that can shoot through a wall/chair/door and still have enough ass to put a threat down. When I lived in apartments, I instead went with varmint-tipped 55 gr loads for 5.56 that more reliably break up through walls and posed less of a risk to neighbors. I don't see a compelling argument for going with a rifle chambered in a handgun cartridge. You gain nothing and lose a lot of terminal performance.
    My situation is the same. I use 55g varmint tipped 5.56.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    b8e3f9417c1ea93b27394ee9884796fe.jpg

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Wortwhile watching before deciding on a rifle for Home Defense. Results from Jury convictions.

...MOCK juries. Oddly enough there have been lots of real world cases where people have successfully defended their homes with ARs and avoided jailtime.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    All jokes aside. My HD gun is a 9mm AR with hollow points. I has a 16" barrel and a light if I need it. I run a Sig Romeo 5 because you don't need to worry about turning the red dot on. My backup is a Glock 19 with hollows and a TLR-1S. I think the Glock has night sights but I can't remember, I know they aren't stock. They may be Wilson's. Standard capacity mags are your friend.
    man I love it when you talk dirty. :)

KP Shooter

Le Flâneur
    Dec 1, 2009
    Long Island/ MoCo
    They key point in your question is best home defense rifle in MD. You live in a liberal hell hole where the jury of your peers will find you guilty just for owning a rifle that looks like an AR15 not how or why you used it. For those reasons I switched to a very pricey M1 Carbine from Fulton Armory for my primary home defense weapon. It's lightweight, accurate, easy to operate, and dependable. Loaded with Underwood's 30 Carbine 85 Grain Extreme Cavitator Defense Rounds, we sleep soundly at night. View attachment 433246
    My money is on this as well. When I lived in DC, it was my HD gun. With the DC-legal 10rnd magazine, this thing was very light and handy. My wife is smaller and had no issue shouldering it and firing it. I think finding a reliable new production one, and running a flashlight and a red dot on it would be pretty nice.
    I have a 1942 production inland and I’ve taken it out past 300y or so and hit steel. It is a very capable weapon, and at home defense distances, you shouldn’t have any issues.

If you buy a new production one, certainly run 500+ rounds thru it to establish reliability. I’ve heard mixed things on the new ones.

Ellis Gordon

gordoninmontgomerycounty
    Jan 25, 2016
    Bethesda, MD
    The Henry Homesteader 9mm carbine is an option to consider since it includes a non-tactical traditional American walnut appearance. The Homesteader possesses most of the capabilities of a tactical carbine. There were feeding issues when the Homesteader was first released, but it appears these issues have been worked out by Henry. If you live in Washington DC, I believe the Homesteader would be legal with the 10 rd magazines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom