• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I've looked but can't find a thread discussing it (although I'm sure it's been discussed a few times.)

I'm in the market for a larger, more robust safe. Could some safe experts chime it? How much does box thickness count versus door thickness, bolt placement, bolt thickness? Are corner bolts a gimmick? Is 3/16" walls that much better than 10 gauge?

I'm looking at a Fort Knox Defender 7251 with upgraded "deluxe II" walls or a Fort Knox Guardian 7241 (smaller, thinner walls, but has corner bolts and "5 to 1 gear drive"). The American Security RFX703620 "High Security" is nice but out of my price range, so it will have to be a trade of wall thickness vs. bolts vs. gears. What should I consider top priority (looks, amenities, and and digital/bio locks have no priority; I prefer a mechanical lock and a plain black box.)

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    take a good look at the Browning upper end safes. I added another safe last year and the fact that the Browing I purchased holds 12 rifles on the door made the decision easy. Definately reduces digging around in the back of the safe.

BenL,
    I saw a video on Ewetube recently that was very informative.
    Just go to Youtube and search for "Gun Safes".
    The number one video (27 minutes and 27 seconds long) is the video I'm suggesting you check out.
    If ya got the $, go for Graffunder!
    The guy in the video explains the details of what each option actually provides to the end user........

Hope you find what you seek,
    Dean

My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    Look at Sturdy Safe and Amsec as well.

I have two Sturdy Safes. Both are fire rated (very important); all the security in the world from theft isn't worth anything if your guns and other valuables are roasted in a non-rated safe.
    I did research several years on this subject and was most impressed with Sturdy (take a look at their web site).

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    I have two Sturdy Safes. Both are fire rated (very important); all the security in the world from theft isn't worth anything if your guns and other valuables are roasted in a non-rated safe.
    I did research several years on this subject and was most impressed with Sturdy (take a look at their web site).
    Just to be clear: Sturdy safes are NOT rated by UL, SMNA, JIS, or any entity other than themselves.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    BenL,
    I saw a video on Ewetube recently that was very informative.
    Just go to Youtube and search for "Gun Safes".
    The number one video (27 minutes and 27 seconds long) is the video I'm suggesting you check out.
    If ya got the $, go for Graffunder!
    The guy in the video explains the details of what each option actually provides to the end user........

Hope you find what you seek,
    Dean

Thanks. I like Graffunder, Amsec HS series, and Brown safes, but they're all more than I want to spend for the size I want. (~$9K) I'd like to have a rated TL-30 safe, but they're pretty pricey.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Just to be clear: Sturdy safes are NOT rated by UL, SMNA, JIS, or any entity other than themselves.

What do you like? What would you recommend in the $5K range? I was hoping for something in the ~70X40X30 size. It looks like at that price, I'll be getting a residential security container, not a true safe; is that a fair assessment?

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    What do you like? What would you recommend in the $5K range? I was hoping for something in the ~70X40X30 size. It looks like at that price, I'll be getting a residential security container, not a true safe; is that a fair assessment?
    If you have $5K to spend on a safe, I would forget about gun safes and start looking at large used TL- and TRTL-rated jewelry or bank safes. Provided your home can accommodate such a container, you will be buying superior protection that you will never find in any gun safe.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    If you have $5K to spend on a safe, I would forget about gun safes and start looking at large used TL- and TRTL-rated jewelry or bank safes. Provided your home can accommodate such a container, you will be buying superior protection that you never find in any gun safe.

This will go poured concrete basement floor (walkout french doors.) Would a safe like that require better accommodations?

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    This will go poured concrete basement floor (walkout french doors.) Would a safe like that require better accommodations?
    Nope. You should be just fine.

Now we just need to track down the right container....

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    Take a look at these just to get an idea of whats out there as far as used rated safes go.

http://www.lackasafe.com/categories/used-safes-specials?offset=12&ipp=12
    Lacka has good selection and they will play ball.

If you are truly serious, then THIS is the end-all, be-all of safes. PERIOD! As a safe industry professional, I concur with EVERYTHING in their description of this safe. It is truly a world-class, top end container:

http://www.lackasafe.com/products/u...milner-trtl30x6-equivalent-high-security-safe

Wilson Safe in Philly, Empire in NYC, and Mega safe in NJ are worth looking at as well.

05dodgedaytona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2009
    Cecil County

If you are truly serious, then THIS is the end-all, be-all of safes. PERIOD! As a safe industry professional, I concur with EVERYTHING in their description of this safe. It is truly a world-class, top end container:

http://www.lackasafe.com/products/u...milner-trtl30x6-equivalent-high-security-safe

Wilson Safe in Philly, Empire in NYC, and Mega safe in NJ are worth looking at as well.

What are your thoughts on the Wilson gun safe BF7240?

BenL

John Galt Speaking.

What do you think of this one?

http://www.lackasafe.com/products/u...30x6-high-security-used-safe-right-hand-swing

SB281 Blaster

Feb 4, 2014
    Queenstown
    If you want fire and burglary protection go with a UL Rated TRTL-15. TR=torch, TL=tool, 15=minutes minimum for an attack with torches and power tools by an expert, otherwise it takes days. Also a TL-15 only safe does not have fire protection. It has 1" steel sides and 1 1/2" steel door, no insulation. A TRTL-30 safe is off the charts secure, but easier to find than a TRTL-15. Sometimes you will see a TRTL-30x6 UL Rating. When UL tests a safe it only attacks the front so the safe manufactures beef up the front door. With an x6 rating UL attacks all 6 sides so to get a 30 minute burglary rating, all sides have to be as strong as the front. If you are patient these safes come used much cheaper because they are so hard and expensive to move when someone wants to get rid of one. Hard to find though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom