• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uncle Krunkle

Sep 29, 2010
    I've been using that DILLON CASE LUBE SPRAY for resizing my rifle brass. Then I tumble it again after it's resized to clean off the lube. I think some people soak it in solvent. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I'm thinking about trying this. Can't imagine how it could be dangerous considering what it takes to set off a primer.

Russ, I've tumbled loaded rounds in the past. No adverse effects. (From '06 to .357 magnums.) Of course, when I switched to carbide dies for pistol cartridges, lubing the cases was a thing of the past. :thumbsup:

I just don't like handling cases and boolits with lube on them and then my hands. That's why I tumble the lube off of the cases after sizing.

Sure beats the 'old method' of wiping the lube off of every case, by hand!

TheRevolution

Dec 21, 2012
    I throw them in the tumbler. If i dont feel like waiting for that to clean them off I spray the cases down with brake cleaner and wipe em down all at once in an old towel then let them sit for a few minutes to make sure they are totally dry.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    I use the same lube (well, Frankford Arsenal, but it's the same thing), I wipe off the case with a paper towel, then tumble the brass for a short while to remove any remaining lube.

MH

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    Tumbling loaded rounds is a bad idea. The powder is coated with flame retardants to control burn rate. These van be worn of in the tumbler resulting in an uncontrolled burn.

The powder is inside the loaded case, all tumbling loaded rounds does is clean them.

I just got in some of the Hornady Spray, hoping that it removes the need to clean the lube off (using the Lyman spray up until now).

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    Tumbling loaded rounds is a bad idea. The powder is coated with flame retardants to control burn rate. These van be worn of in the tumbler resulting in an uncontrolled burn.

The powder is inside the loaded case, all tumbling loaded rounds does is clean them.

I just got in some of the Hornady Spray, hoping that it removes the need to clean the lube off (using the Lyman spray up until now).

I've always heard that it's bad to do. It's been debated for a long time, as to whether the danger is a primer getting hit and set off, or the powder in the case getting broken down from the intense vibration and having an effect on it's burn rate, or whether or not there's any effect at all. Not any real reason for me to take the chance though.

MH

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    I use the generic version of PAM for case lube and after sizing give them a quick ultrasonic with dish liquid and water, rinse and let dry. You do have to take apart and wash the sizing dies with PAM but as a lube it is great stuff.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/instructions/SidewinderCaseTumblerInstructions.pdf

Just a quote from the RCBS manual. I think my RCBS vibratory tumbler also said not to tumble loaded rounds.

Just an FYI, not looking to debate or insult anyone.

What are the chances of "cartridge detonation"????

Slim to none, IMNSHO.

I've seen tests/reports of cartridges being caught in fire, thrown against concrete/cinderblock walls, and more.

I've seen first-hand, cartridges that have been subjected to fire (in a steel 55 gal drum/trashcan, and the cartridges DID 'go off', however, because no pressure was built up (as when fired in a chamber/barrel), the projectiles moved less than 1"!!!!!

Personally, I'm not concerned with "cartridge detonation" in a tumbler.

YMMV.

methlab

Mar 18, 2011
    Northern Harford County
    Tumbling a loaded round has no chance of igniting but I wonder what is happening to the powde's shape. If the media is vibrating around the case cleaning it, what is the powder doing to the insde? Any breakdown of the propellent's shape will have drastic effects on the burn rate. Has anyone pulled the bullet and checked the powder after being tumbled? I an courious what effects it has.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom