• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    I literally went to the video, saw it was SEVENTEEN minutes long, and clicked out. I can skin a family meal’s amount of squirrels in half the time :D

First couple of squirrels of each season may take two minutes, but by the third…easily less than a minute. I found a video that mostly shows the technique I was taught by my grandfather and uncles.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Interesting thread. After watching and learning about new techniques for skinning them.( never knew about stand on tail the pull skin off medthod)
    How does this work for skinning/ prepping a rabbit?
    Ate more rabbit ( mom made rabbit stew with dumplings back then) compared to squirrel when younger
    But never paid much attention or plain forgot how my dad use to prep them.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Interesting thread. After watching and learning about new techniques for skinning them.( never knew about stand on tail the pull skin off medthod)
    Ate more rabbit ( mom made rabbit stew with dumplings back then) compared to squirrel when younger
    Rabbits usually give up their hide pretty easy. Shirt and pants method worked for me. I cut off the last joint on the legs with a pair of pruning shears, a hatchet, or even a sturdy knife.

shootnfishndorf

Mar 17, 2016
    Waldorf
    Seriously, what does it taste like? Is it very gamey? Are there cooking methods that can mitigate some of that?
    Brushed with teriyaki and into the smoker

Attachments

• IMG_20221224_100822_459.jpg
      IMG_20221224_100822_459.jpg
      423 KB · Views: 29

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Rabbits usually give up their hide pretty easy. Shirt and pants method worked for me. I cut off the last joint on the legs with a pair of pruning shears, a hatchet, or even a sturdy knife.
    Yep. I’d much rather clean rabbits.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Same concept, only you don’t have to stand on the tail. Just “grip it and rip it”, a rabbit’s hide comes off very easily, pulls off like a glove. After you clean some rabbits, you’ll HATE cleaning squirrels.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Yeah. Bigger rear quarters too unless you are shooting fox squirrels (I never have). I do miss popping rabbits with a suppressed 22.
    I need to get a cheapie thermal for one of my .22s, not that I can pop squirrels in my backyard.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I need to get a cheapie thermal for one of my .22s, not that I can pop squirrels in my backyard.
    I may know something about shooting squirrels inside a city limit or two where such activities are frowned on. Was in daylight though.

You will rack up possums by the dozen at night.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Smoked squirrel with duck breasts one time at 200 for a couple hours. Duck was good and it was the worst squirrels I have even eaten. The dog ate well that day. It was mushy and seemed to need a higher temperature, time or something.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Yeah. Bigger rear quarters too unless you are shooting fox squirrels (I never have). I do miss popping rabbits with a suppressed 22.
    Fox squirrels also taste slightly better than grays IMO. I need to get out again soon, there's a fairly healthy fox squirrel population around here. We have one that visits the trees around the patio occasionally that has the body size of a cat.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Fox squirrels also taste slightly better than grays IMO. I need to get out again soon, there's a fairly healthy fox squirrel population around here. We have one that visits the trees around the patio occasionally that has the body size of a cat.
    Blast em

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    See my post on inexpensive. Night vision scopes in air gun section.
    Brings night hunting into a whole new “ light”.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    A pressure cooker might tenderize it, too. I've had muskrat. The chef managed to get rid of the gamey taste by flashing the meat in scalding hot bacon fat. I have to admit, I'm intrigued.
    Yes, cook the tree rat via pressure cooker and the meat falls off the bone. It's tender and just add salt and pepper to taste.
    I grew up hunting Red Fox squirrels in IL, cleaning and eating them on my own. Pressure cooking is by far the best way to cook squirrel. After the cook, do with it as you please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom