• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • b00sh

Feb 7, 2013
    Anybody know where I can just buy a handful of followers that are modified to keep the bolt open on an AK? I know the Bulgarian ones are like that but I have a bunch of mags already and don't necessarily NEED more.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    You could make your own pretty easily. Just cut the back end of the hump on the follower off square. Do it with a junk or replacement follower, though. Dremel and a file.

I would think it would just be an annoyance, though.

b00sh

Feb 7, 2013
    You could make your own pretty easily. Just cut the back end of the hump on the follower off square. Do it with a junk or replacement follower, though. Dremel and a file.

I would think it would just be an annoyance, though.

I'm buying one of the krebs modified safeties that has the BHO feature. It just makes it easier.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    You could buy the yugo bolt hold open mags. I'm pretty sure it's yugo, they aren't that expensive.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I'm buying one of the krebs modified safeties that has the BHO feature. It just makes it easier.
    The Yugo mags and Krebs safety aren't really replacements for each other... the Yugo mags let you know when your mag runs dry, the Krebs lets you manually hold the bolt open with no mag.

The Krebs safety is expensive, but I really like it... big improvement over the normal safety.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Yugo BHOs are great mags.

Normal AK mags have a dimple that impedes the follower from popping up high enough to stop the bolt. Any AK mag can have this removed. Paired with the correct follower, will act like a Yugo. The Chinese followers are the closest in design to Yugos, with enough meat sticking up to stop the bolt. Most AK followers do not.

There was a US company that made BHO followers a few years ago, but to my knowledge there are no commercial sources for followers now.

ETA: Erwos made a good point, all these do is stop the bolt from closing while the mag is inserted. Take the mag out, the bolt slams closed. I like the BHO levers on Saigas but these aren't automatic either and the safety/selector mod is preferable to most.

b00sh

Feb 7, 2013
    You could buy the yugo bolt hold open mags. I'm pretty sure it's yugo, they aren't that expensive.

It is yugo, I was mistaken about bulgy. The problem is I have 7 steel magazines, and I don't want to buy 7 more. I'd rather modify the ones I have.

b00sh

Feb 7, 2013
    The Yugo mags and Krebs safety aren't really replacements for each other... the Yugo mags let you know when your mag runs dry, the Krebs lets you manually hold the bolt open with no mag.

The Krebs safety is expensive, but I really like it... big improvement over the normal safety.

I know they're not replacement. You have both, it gives you similar functionality to an AR. Last shot? Bolt is open. Put up safety, eject mag, put in new mag, put down safety, it chambers a round. Right?

Yugo BHOs are great mags.

Normal AK mags have a dimple that impedes the follower from popping up high enough to stop the bolt. Any AK mag can have this removed. Paired with the correct follower, will act like a Yugo. The Chinese followers are the closest in design to Yugos, with enough meat sticking up to stop the bolt. Most AK followers do not.

There was a US company that made BHO followers a few years ago, but to my knowledge there are no commercial sources for followers now.

Yeah I did some research, they no longer make them. I'm gonna take the advice and try to modify one I have, and see how it works.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    I'm planning on buying an AK and was wondering about these mods. If I only use mags with BHO feature (or modified as such), once I drop the mag, the bolts closes. I could just insert a new mag and then cycle the bolt to get back up and running right?

I like the BHO so I know when I am empty as opposed to pressing the trigger and not getting a bang.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    If I only use mags with BHO feature (or modified as such), once I drop the mag, the bolt closes. I could just insert a new mag and then cycle the bolt to get back up and running right?

Correct. All it does is provide a little more tactile feedback that the mag is empty, but it doesn't change reloads.

Some of the Russian shotguns based on the AK action have a true LRBHO like an AR. Seems like somebody should have rigged up an AK using a similar rocking lever by now.

b00sh

Feb 7, 2013
    I'm planning on buying an AK and was wondering about these mods. If I only use mags with BHO feature (or modified as such), once I drop the mag, the bolts closes. I could just insert a new mag and then cycle the bolt to get back up and running right?

I like the BHO so I know when I am empty as opposed to pressing the trigger and not getting a bang.

The safety lever keeps it so when you pop the mag the bolt doesn't slam home.
    MkVUnderfolderSafety-1.jpg

I thought he was looking for followers made by our Kenyan President.

I'm thinking WTF! The guy causes a shortage and then cashes in on it.

lol you guys are crazy

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom