• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    x10 on the clipless. If you do any walking, think about getting mountain bike shoes and pedals (they are different than road versions.) Shimano SPDs are far far the most common. There are tons of 'normal looking' mountain bike shoes that recess the cleat completely so you can walk around on them like normal. But I don't know if any of them work well w/ a pedal that has a platform. Road shoes are slick bottomed and the cleat protrudes so its like wearing a high heeled shoe backwards when trying to walk around. Plus it goes click, click, click;)
    Yea rei has what looks like a good selection. I just gotta be careful, i have a haglund bump on my ankle that hates new shoes.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Shimano (and others) make clipless sandals;) A friend of mine uses some on her city bike.

Attachments

• ShimanoSH-SD60BSandals.jpg
      ShimanoSH-SD60BSandals.jpg
      40.5 KB · Views: 96

cyclelabs

Dec 18, 2012
    Gambrills, MD
    So looking at getting a bike for some exercise have a few questions. What brand should i be looking at so far i have looked at some trek and giant bikes. I was set on a comfort bike but felt like an old man the mountain bikes were not as comfy but couldn't i upgrade. The saddle?
    So far i am focused in on a 2012 trek marlin 29 er or a 2013 trek shift 4 anyone with any input would be great.
    Find a bike shop that will let you take the bike you like out for a day or two before you buy. I know Capital Bicycle in Annapolis did this for me. If you get a mountain bike I would definitely get a 29er. Best of luck ! Biking is an awesome way to exercise and have fun at the same time

cyclelabs

Dec 18, 2012
    Gambrills, MD
    Do cycle shoes require some break in? I got these http://www.rei.com/product/848490/shimano-mt33-mountain-bike-shoes-mens

They felt fine in the store, but after walking in them, and biking five miles, my feet are a tad sore. I feel like they might be too small. Should I give them a chance or return for a larger size?
    I would try a bigger size. If you only rode 5 miles and they hurt that is a bad sign. How much did you walk in them ? They are not really good for walking unless they are MTB shoes.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    I would try a bigger size. If you only rode 5 miles and they hurt that is a bad sign. How much did you walk in them ? They are not really good for walking unless they are MTB shoes.

Yea they are mtb. I have to ride the metro and dont really want to bring a pair of shoes with me. Already got a change of clothes, etc. Not much room for shoes (I keep dress shoes at work).

cyclelabs

Dec 18, 2012
    Gambrills, MD
    I dont wanna start a new thread, but since bicycle people are watching this thread, maybe they can provide some insight.

How much better will my cycling be with clipless pedals? I currently ride 5 miles a day, twice and am starting to get into longer weekend rides. My 5 mile commute is a slow five miles (curbs, traffic lights, etc.) but I feel like clipless pedals will really improve my ride. Thoughts? Am I going to look like goober riding an older 10 speed with clipless pedals?
    All of us cyclists are goobers anyway so I would not worry about that. Clipless pedals are way better and you will feel the difference. Just remember to un-clip before you come to a stop or you will be a SUPER goober :)

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    For those going to clipless. You WILL fall a couple times at a dead stop. You WILL feel silly when it happens. You only need to remember its happened to ALL of us too:) Just remember its worth it.

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    I have clipless on many of my bikes-I like the various CrankBros. types-eggbeaters etc. That being said if your commute has a lot of stop and go you might just try old fashioned clips and straps-I use those on my recumbents because they are easier to get out of when you need to "right now".

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    For those going to clipless. You WILL fall a couple times at a dead stop. You WILL feel silly when it happens. You only need to remember its happened to ALL of us too:) Just remember its worth it.

I am not trying to jinx myself, but day 1 of clipless was a success. I Have used toe clips before, so I am kinda use to manipulating the pedal with my foot. My trip to work has like 3 traffic lights and two curbs and I was OK.

Back to platforms today though. Need a larger cycling shoe...

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    On my bicycles, when i use to ride alot, i have really nice bmx metal pedals on it. its flat, and has few of little screw types on it from slipping. I think vert bmx bikes use them.

I used to have clipless, with shoes, when i used my bike to commute and stuff, but found out having bike shoes limit, when using your bicycle for everything.

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    Woohoo another MTB cyclist! I would strongly recommend a Trek/Fisher 29'er. The frames are all basically the same the difference is in the components. Pick a bike in the lineup that fits your budget. You can upgrade as you find the bikes' weaknesses. One caveat to this is the fork. If you plan to ride off road, get a bike with a Fox fork. Yeah you could get a cheaper one but if you decide to upgrade it'll be big bucks.

When you get a bike and are ready to ride some trails hit me up and I can show you around Patapsco.

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    but found out having bike shoes limit, when using your bicycle for everything.

Shimano makes a set of clipless pedals which can also be used with regular shoes. Once you ride clipless off road you'll never go back to flats. The control they give you is awesome.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    On my bicycles, when i use to ride alot, i have really nice bmx metal pedals on it. its flat, and has few of little screw types on it from slipping. I think vert bmx bikes use them.

I used to have clipless, with shoes, when i used my bike to commute and stuff, but found out having bike shoes limit, when using your bicycle for everything.

I just ordered these:

http://www.rei.com/product/849710/shimano-clickr-ct40-bike-shoes-mens

And I am returning these, due to being too small, and they have a really stiff sole. The ct40s get better reviews I think.

http://www.rei.com/product/848490/shimano-mt33-mountain-bike-shoes-mens

whoops, misunderstood what you meant, yea, they make some pedals that you can use with clips or regular shoes.

cyclelabs

Dec 18, 2012
    Gambrills, MD
    The pedal i was talking about were these type.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/WELLGO-MG-1...5&prg=7473&rk=2&sd=230999558869&#ht_692wt_932

I have something like it in yellow on my commuters and I have never had a slip off, and I ride hard sometimes. I dont know about hardcore mountain biking, but weekend trails and riding on hiking trails, and local roads, no problems.
    I believe they are called platform pedals. They are used primarily by downhill MTBers but I would agree they are great if you want to ride in tennis shoes and not have to worry about unclipping

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    ughhh, tipped over today. Physically I am OK but my pride took a hit. Worst part about it is there were several cars going through the intersection I was waiting at, so someone saw me spill. It would have been OK if no one saw me :)

ughhh, tipped over today. Physically I am OK but my pride took a hit. Worst part about it is there were several cars going through the intersection I was waiting at, so someone saw me spill. It would have been OK if no one saw me :)

Yeah that happens to everyone who uses clippless pedals at some point. Even my old college buddy who raced would fall over on occasion.

One (hard-won) bit of advice - make sure your cleats are screwed into the shoe nice and tight. Once my cleat started to work loose and when I tried to clip out, it turned in the shoe and didn't come out of the pedal - so boom. Since then I make sure to check the cleats every month and tighten them if I feel any play in them.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    You WILL fall a couple times at a dead stop. You WILL feel silly when it happens.

I am not trying to jinx myself, but day 1 of clipless was a success. I Have used toe clips before, so I am kinda use to manipulating the pedal with my foot.

ughhh, tipped over today. Physically I am OK but my pride took a hit.

LOLZ. It happens once you become a bit more complacent but don't yet have it 100% habit. Like I said, we've ALL done it and felt silly.:lol2: No harm no foul. Heck it still happens to me occasionally mtb-ing. I went into a creek last fall when I hit an underwater rock I didn't see and the way it flipped me just couldn't get out in time (and I just wasn't mentally expecting to have to unclip in the middle of a creek.) That water was COLD. Luckily I had on wool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom