• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Danimal619

May 31, 2023
    Edgewater
    Hey, sorry if this has been asked and answered but I perused several pages of threads here and in general and didn't see it.

I am a big boi. Obese. I am going through the process of gaining my conceal carry and am concerned about a decent location to carry. 90% of the time I am in a tucked in polo and slacks. I like the idea of an IWC but all my lovely dude lumps makes that a concern.

Thanks for any help.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    It's going to depend on your particular build. I am carrying around some extra weight with all of it toward the front. IWB from 2:30 - 4:00 with a forward cant works well for me.

With regard to the tucked in shirt, if doing IWB, "tuckable" clips will help.

Here's a semi-recent thread on the topic.

Danimal619

May 31, 2023
    Edgewater
    It's going to depend on your particular build. I am carrying around some extra weight with all of it toward the front. IWB from 2:30 - 4:00 with a forward cant works well for me.

With regard to the tucked in shirt, if doing IWB, "tuckable" clips will help.

Here's a semi-recent thread on the topic.
    Thank you. I will definitely read that.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Adding a layer or otherwise changing your wardrobe hugely increases your options. I'm almost always wearing an untucked loose outer shirt. When I'm not, it's because I'm usually going into someplace where I can't carry anyway.

Consider a micro carry piece like an LCP-Max in a pocket holster, and choose pants with agreeable pockets. Those little 380s just disappear. Pocket carry isn't as instantly accessible as a draw from the waist, but if you come up with a good pants/pocket holster recipe, it's very viable regardless of your build. All the more so in a cargo pocket style. Goes without saying that this can be one of those motivating things that gets you thinking about fighting off some pounds. I carry at 3:30-4:00, IWB. If I put on more weight, that might get awkward.

Danimal619

May 31, 2023
    Edgewater
    OWB Paddle holster with a forward cant at 3:30-4:00 while wearing a loose fitting shirt.
    I am a big fan of the Safariland ALS system.
    Yeah, days off that's no problem but I'm considering carrying at work. I'm there for half of my life and they probably have a policy against it but I'm more likely to encounter an issue there given the amount of time I spend there. That's the thought as of now anyway. Maybe after my class tomorrow they convince me against it.

Given I'm at work 90% of my out-of-home life, I'd be in slacks and tucked in polo.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Yeah, days off that's no problem but I'm considering carrying at work. I'm there for half of my life and they probably have a policy against it but I'm more likely to encounter an issue there given the amount of time I spend there. That's the thought as of now anyway. Maybe after my class tomorrow they convince me against it.

Given I'm at work 90% of my out-of-home life, I'd be in slacks and tucked in polo.
    So, other than advising real caution about carrying at work without having an understanding with your employer, I'll probably reinforce my notion of something LCP-ish and a pocket holster.

Danimal619

May 31, 2023
    Edgewater
    Adding a layer or otherwise changing your wardrobe hugely increases your options. I'm almost always wearing an untucked loose outer shirt. When I'm not, it's because I'm usually going into someplace where I can't carry anyway.

So, other than advising real caution about carrying at work without having an understanding with your employer, I'll probably reinforce my notion of something LCP-ish and a pocket holster.
    That's fair. I've never considered pocket as I'm afraid of bulge, it flopping around as well as debris/Lint. This is all likely due to my ignorance of pocket holsters.

Danimal619

May 31, 2023
    Edgewater

Consider a micro carry piece like an LCP-Max in a pocket holster, and choose pants with agreeable pockets. Those little 380s just disappear. Pocket carry isn't as instantly accessible as a draw from the waist, but if you come up with a good pants/pocket holster recipe, it's very viable regardless of your build. All the more so in a cargo pocket style. Goes without saying that this can be one of those motivating things that gets you thinking about fighting off some pounds. I carry at 3:30-4:00, IWB. If I put on more weight, that might get awkward.
    Yeah I might try the 3-4 area and see how that feels. I've read that here today a few times so maybe that's the sweet spot.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Spider sense is tingling, but welcome aboard

I'm getting stalked by these guys, looks interesting:

Danimal619

May 31, 2023
    Edgewater
    Spider sense is tingling, but welcome aboard

I'm getting stalked by these guys, looks interesting:

Funny enough, I did buy that holster. Was disappointed with the price but there was a $35 discount for the holiday. Still pricier than many of the holsters I saw out there.

I just ordered it yesterday so haven't obviously received it yet.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    If I wear a Hawaiian shirt I'll look like Gabriel Iglesias except at least HE can do pretty cool voices. Me, not so much. (I'm not as big as he is, jk but I am pretty large and in charge).
    I hear you, but it's function over fashion.

davela

Aug 7, 2022
    Edgewater, MD
    Dan, I saw these mentioned somewhere (likely here). If you go this route I’d recommend carrying a full sized piece to impress the ladies.

Danimal619

May 31, 2023
    Edgewater
    Previous screen name?
    Glad to hear $95 isn't terrible. Everything I saw was $45-85. I was mostly concerned with the price given it's one of those Ad companies, does that make sense?

Will absolutely report back on my impression.

I don't have a previous screen name. When I joined a few days ago I might*? have signed up under a generic name before I changed it to this but this has always been my name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom