• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snakep

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Behind enemy lines...
    Some weeks back I made the knife/sheath in the first picture for one of our MDS members. Recently a potential customer asked me if I could make him 5 just like it. I said I could but it would take me 5 times as long. Here is the progress to date. In the second pic I have rough cut 5 blanks out of 1/8" 1084 barstock. In the third pic I have hand filed the bevels in for 3 of the 5 blades. It takes me about 1 1/2 hours to file in one side, depending on blade length, thickness and grind height. So, 2-3 hours per knife. These are all filed to a 9mm height. Fourth pic I finally finished the last two. And in the last picture I have drilled the 3/16 "pin and 1/4" lanyard holes. Next step is to hand sand the bevels and flats to 220 grit. I'll post some more pictures as I make progress!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      506.4 KB · Views: 37
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      463.6 KB · Views: 35
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      506.7 KB · Views: 27
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      547.5 KB · Views: 28
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      555.6 KB · Views: 37

mal316

MDS Supporter
    Jun 3, 2023
    Frederick, MD
    Some weeks back I made the knife/sheath in the first picture for one of our MDS members. Recently a potential customer asked me if I could make him 5 just like it. I said I could but it would take me 5 times as long. Here is the progress to date. In the second pic I have rough cut 5 blanks out of 1/8" 1084 barstock. In the third pic I have hand filed the bevels in for 3 of the 5 blades. It takes me about 1 1/2 hours to file in one side, depending on blade length, thickness and grind height. So, 2-3 hours per knife. These are all filed to a 9mm height. Fourth pic I finally finished the last two. And in the last picture I have drilled the 3/16 "pin and 1/4" lanyard holes. Next step is to hand sand the bevels and flats to 220 grit. I'll post some more pictures as I make progress!
    Really interesting to see these photos, snakep. I've never seen knife-making in progression like this. Thanks for posting.

snakep

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Behind enemy lines...
    Really interesting to see these photos, snakep. I've never seen knife-making in progression like this. Thanks for posting.
    Thanks mal316. Here's a pic of one of the 5 that I just finished hand sanding to 220 grit. 4 more to go. Then I'll heat treat them.

Attachments

• 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      248.6 KB · Views: 13
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      235.2 KB · Views: 15

mal316

MDS Supporter
    Jun 3, 2023
    Frederick, MD
    Sweet
    Thanks mal316. Here's a pic of one of the 5 that I just finished hand sanding to 220 grit. 4 more to go. Then I'll heat treat them.
    Sweet! Birth of a knife. An entire litter of them.

You're a craftsman for sure. Did you teach yourself?

snakep

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Behind enemy lines...
    I’ve finished filing in the bevels and hand-sanding the five knives to 220 grit. Next step is heat treating and tempering which I hope to do some time this week. Also pictured at the top of the pic is a EDC fixed blade version of a folding knife that I’m working on.

Attachments

• IMG_0077.jpeg
      IMG_0077.jpeg
      472.6 KB · Views: 9

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads