• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • natsb

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2013
    southern MD
    I was able to shoot an AR with a bipod and I liked it. So I decided to get one. I usually just toss my range bag on the bench and use it as a rest, but that is a hassle when going in and out of the bag for stuff.

Bing-Fu seems to indicate that Harris is the go-to brand, but I didn't realize there were so many sizes available. What exactly do I measure when determining what size bipod to get? I will be using it while sitting at a bench.

I assume I am to measure from the mount point to the bench surface. But do start from a comfortable straight back position, or a curled ,low as I can get position. Does the length of the bipod legs affect accuracy? My friends bipod lifted the barrel about six inches off the bench. It was uncomfortable, but I did shoot better than resting on my hand.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Shooting from a bench you will most likely want the shortest model the 6" X 9" the shortest it goes is 6" and extends to 9". You have to raise your AR up a bit because of the magazine length. Some people shoot from a bench with a 20 rd mag and some with a 30. Read Harris's website carefully so you get the bipod with the options that you want. And the correct adaptor that you need.
    If its to much cash look at Caldwells or some of the other Harris knockoffs.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Depends on your budget

Atlas-top of the line-expensive
    Harris-good quality-fair price (very popular)

I have a 6-9" adjustable Harris with the notches in the legs. I use it at the range. If you were gonna hunt with it- maybe the 9" version might be better.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    What kind of forend do you have? If you have a standard, Magpul or drop in forend on your AR skip it. You'll chase your zero all over the place.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    The short Harris will work great on a bench, that is what I have used for years for bench or prone shooting with a medium rear bag, it's a good setup. I wouldn't skimp, get a Harris or better... Atlas and I have a GGG that is comparable for a little less, will serve you well if you want to spend the $$$

I use a Harris Medium length bipod often for hunting. I can shoot prone, though it's a bit tall for that, or sitting/kneeling to shoot over grass or close cover. Most of the time if I am shooting varmints in the early season when fields are pretty cleared out, it's prone and I'll use the GGG.

If you are only shooting it at a range from the bench, you don't need to spring for the swivel/cant models, but for hunting you can't beat at least having the cant option for unlevel ground... ;)

As Mopar said above, the free float forend is critical for using a bipod attached, to prevent load on the barrel and the plastic/carbine handguards won't give you good consistency with a mounted bipod.

natsb

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2013
    southern MD
    What kind of forend do you have? If you have a standard, Magpul or drop in forend on your AR skip it. You'll chase your zero all over the place.

Sorry for sounding like a noobe, but I am new to this. I got my AR as a Christmas gift, so I am still learning. I am not sure what to call my forend, please see the image below. It would appear to certainly not be free floating.

So if I understand you correctly, my first project is to make my barrel free floating before a bipod can be considered practical. I have only been shooting this platform since January, but I have fallen in love with it so I am game to make whatever improvements are needed to help me shoot better.

Now... I guess my mission has switched to a hand guard improvement before I add the bipod. So I am off to do some homework. If it looks like something beyond my abilities, I hope there is an IP here I can hand the task to.

DSC_0541_edited-1_zps0a923f9a.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

natsb

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2013
    southern MD
    The short Harris will work great on a bench, that is what I have used for years for bench or prone shooting with a medium rear bag, it's a good setup. I wouldn't skimp, get a Harris or better... Atlas and I have a GGG that is comparable for a little less, will serve you well if you want to spend the $$$

I use a Harris Medium length bipod often for hunting. I can shoot prone, though it's a bit tall for that, or sitting/kneeling to shoot over grass or close cover. Most of the time if I am shooting varmints in the early season when fields are pretty cleared out, it's prone and I'll use the GGG.

If you are only shooting it at a range from the bench, you don't need to spring for the swivel/cant models, but for hunting you can't beat at least having the cant option for unlevel ground... ;)

As Mopar said above, the free float forend is critical for using a bipod attached, to prevent load on the barrel and the plastic/carbine handguards won't give you good consistency with a mounted bipod.

I am a member of the buy once, cry once club. So I don't mind spending on quality. Is the GGG you mentioned www.gggaz.com? I do like the quick disconnect model they show (XDS-2). Is the 45 degree forward tilt a worthwhile option?

I still intend on getting a bipod, but , as I mentioned earlier, it looks like my first project is to free float the barrel.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I am a member of the buy once, cry once club. So I don't mind spending on quality. Is the GGG you mentioned www.gggaz.com? I do like the quick disconnect model they show (XDS-2). Is the 45 degree forward tilt a worthwhile option?

I still intend on getting a bipod, but , as I mentioned earlier, it looks like my first project is to free float the barrel.

Get the GG&G bipod, it will work with your current set up and if you get a free float rail set up, too.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Yea, your current handguard is not a free float.

I too am looking to purchase a bi-pod in the very near future so I've been doing some research lately. I've narrowed it down to an Atlas or a Harris. The Atlas is top of the line but you're going to pay for it. Both of them are capable of tilting but I believe the Atlas can pan and the Harris cannot.

Here they are next to each other.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co

Yes, it is gggaz.com

I got the QD heavy duty to put on my 308 build, but wind up swapping it over to my varmint 223 in place of the harris if I don't need the added height of the longer harris I have. I have been extremely pleased with this bipod and use it every weekend, pretty much. Mine does not have the 'swivel' to allow you to track a moving target, but I don't often use a bipod to track a moving target anyhow... LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom