• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chrisflhtc

Jan 28, 2010
    Hagerstown
    I was talking to my Dad yesterday and he told me that they have had a mid sized black bear come up on the front porch several times in the last three weeks. He said it came under the electric fence he has to keep the deer off the flowers and climbed on to the porch and tried to get to the suet he has out for the birds. He opened the second floor window and yelled at it while reaching for his revolver I told he better not use the 38 sp on the bear unless he wants to tick him off. This has happened about three times. He lives up on the side of the mountain under the Washington monument grounds.
    I lived there for ten years or so many years ago and never saw any bears I guess they are getting too comfortable and may need to be scared away somehow. I know I don't have a "bar gun" :innocent0

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Haha...this is the time of year you will see them. Just bought a house in Myersville, woke up at 2AM to my ridgeback going crazy barking in the side yard and thought nothing of it. Come daylight, my steel 1/4" solid birdfedder was bent at a near 90 degree angle. Something heavy had gotten to it...not sure if a really be racoon or a bear?

Last edited:

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Bears wander down to Frederick about once a year.
    The population has started to rebound.
    Sadly most get hit by cars when the come out of the woods.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Black bears have been around Fredrick County for a longtime - just not in big numbers. Back when I was a teen my uncle seen one while we were deer hunting at the Fredrick Watershed. There was one that went for a swim in someones swimming pool outside of Cunningham Falls.

If they wander down to Fredrick - they sure can be in Washington Co. Some DNR guys think some of them travel the banks of the Potomac, and end up in the Central part of the state. They have been sighted in Montgomery Co before as well - around Travila Rd area.

Many years ago - the Eastern Shore was teaming with Black Bears, but the settlers made short of that.

bmkoenig

We had black bears in Emmitsburg over Memorial Day. There have also been several sightings on the Gettysburg battlefield.

Its not very common, but it seems like the instances of bear sightings in this area have been increasing over the past few years.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Friend of mine saw one last week near the side of I-81 while passing through Maryland in the late afternoon. Guy knows bears too and said it looked like about 400 lbs. to him.

adjusterr

Mar 28, 2011
    Indian Springs, Western MD
    Those black rascals are everywhere. This one frequented our bird feeder last year. Glad to say he hasn't showed up this year.

Attachments

• 10-14-2011 10;07;24 AM (791 x 1030) (461 x 600).jpg
      10-14-2011 10;07;24 AM (791 x 1030) (461 x 600).jpg
      71.6 KB · Views: 143

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads