• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Hi all,

Does anyone know where I can buy black powder in MD? Close to Carroll County would be best.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Is there a Bass Pro (Outdoor World) up your way?

If you buy it online, then I think you'll have to pay a $20 HAZMAT fee and I think you can only order 5 pounds at a time in MD. But if you have to drive a few hours just to find a place that sells it, then I guess you don't have much choice.

Good luck and welcome to MD shooters.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    (1) Subject to paragraph (2) of this subsection, a person need not obtain a license to possess or store up to 5 pounds of smokeless powder for the loading or reloading of small arms ammunition, and up to 5 pounds of black powder for the loading or reloading of small arms ammunition or for use in the loading of antique arms or replicas of antique arms, if the smokeless powder and black powder are stored in their original shipping containers and are possessed only for personal use in firearms.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(1) A person may not possess at any time or store in any one place more than 5 pounds of smokeless powder or more than 5 pounds of black powder for use in firearms unless the person is licensed under this subtitle.

(3) Except as otherwise provided in this subtitle, a person may not possess or store explosives for use in firearms in any quantity in multifamily dwellings, apartments, dormitories, hotels, schools or other public buildings, or buildings or structures open for public use.

(b) Prohibition on sale of explosives for use in firearms.- A dealer may not sell, barter, give, or dispose of more than 5 pounds of black powder or more than 5 pounds of smokeless powder for use in firearms to any one person at any one time unless the person is licensed under this subtitle.

Lexis Nexis / Search = "Black Powder"

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Thanks for the info Jim.

I won't be needing more than a couple of pounds though, so I'm sure
    I won't be running afoul of any regs.

novus, there's one about 35 minutes drive from me, and I was there
    last month but I honestly didn't think to ask them then if they carried it.
    I know it has gotten hard to find at a lot of places because it's classed
    as an explosive instead of a propellant like smokeless powders are. I only
    shoot for the fun of it, and a big part of the fun for me is recreating the
    smoke, flame, and smell of it all, and to me Pyrodex doesn't cut it.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    Half-cocked said:
    Thanks for the info Jim.

I won't be needing more than a couple of pounds though, so I'm sure
    I won't be running afoul of any regs.
    "couple of pounds"?

4f for the flint's and select small bore, 3f for 45s and other small bore, 2f for the 50s and larger + shotguns. :D

That's 3lbs. without back-up for your friends. :thumbsup: :)

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Well, I just have a .50 caliber caplock, so 2F's all I need.

On the other hand, I have been trying to convince the Mrs. that we "need" a flintlock.... :D

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    Half-cocked said:
    Well, I just have a .50 caliber caplock, so 2F's all I need.

On the other hand, I have been trying to convince the Mrs. that we "need" a flintlock.... :D
    Good luck!:D

Set some $$ and promises :innocent0 aside for an "Old Army" (Rugar). The Old Army is a great hunter ( Legal in all MD counties for deer.)

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Jim Sr said:
    Good luck!:D
    Set some $$ and promises :innocent0 aside for an "Old Army" (Rugar). The Old Army is a great hunter ( Legal in all MD counties for deer.)
    I have been looking at these - I would love to get one (no immediate plans, though). But just one question - are muzzleloading pistols exempt from Maryland's stupid "safety class" and waiting period requirements?

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Half-cocked said:
    I have been looking at these - I would love to get one (no immediate plans, though). But just one question - are muzzleloading pistols exempt from Maryland's stupid "safety class" and waiting period requirements?
    Cap and ball revolvers are considered antiques and are exempt from most handgun laws. No background check, no safety class and no waiting period.

Although it is considered an antique and not technichally considered a "handgun" by Maryland, it is still illegal for a felon to posses one so be careful who you lend it to if you ever do that (I think there is an exception the state can make for felons that ask for special permission if they need to hunt for food to live or somthing like that, but that might only apply to rifles?).

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Thanks for that info - that's kind of what I suspected.

So far as I know, I don't even know any felons, so I'm pretty sure I'm o.k. in that regard.:D

I've been watching gunbroker.com for a decent deal on one, but sometimes I think the sellers there are living on Fantasy Island, with what some of their starting bids and/or reserves are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom