• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr H

Banana'd
    We were out in the Mayo area today and, while we were chatting with another couple, I noticed some deer crossing a path with some haste.

Then, following the deer, was something smaller, stout, no neck or tail to speak of, and looked to have pointed ears. It ran differently than the deer, and gave every impression of being a big(-ish) cat.

The weird thing is, based on the size comparison I had in that brief moment, it was either some really tiny deer, or a bigger cat??!

Anyone encountered anything like this in the area?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    We were out in the Mayo area today and, while we were chatting with another couple, I noticed some deer crossing a path with some haste.

Then, following the deer, was something smaller, stout, no neck or tail to speak of, and looked to have pointed ears. It ran differently than the deer, and gave every impression of being a big(-ish) cat.

The weird thing is, based on the size comparison I had in that brief moment, it was either some really tiny deer, or a bigger cat??!

Anyone encountered anything like this in the area?
    I’ve only seen bobcats in real life a few times.

An adult male ranges up to 35lbs and as tall as two feet at the shoulder. By comparison a fawn is about 15 inches from ground to belly and a buck or adult doe is about 20 inches from ground to belly. Of course they extend higher to the shoulder, but a big bobcat is about the size of a mid summer fawn.

If I remember right they will also sometimes eat very young fawns.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Posted this pic in another thread. This one was estimated to be over 40 lbs.

Attachments

• 20230101_232441.jpg
      20230101_232441.jpg
      163.5 KB · Views: 161

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    We had bobcat in southern Harford County back in the early/mid '70s when I was in high school - saw one regularly on an abandoned farm I used to hunt. I actually saw one in early December in the backyard of my urban/suburban home in SW Baltimore County. Like coyotes, they are around.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Posted this pic in another thread. This one was estimated to be over 40 lbs.
    "...estimated..." Estimated to always be bigger than the norm...
    Thanks. That fits with what we saw. The Missus caught the flecking, but the legs were the big tell.

Very strange, in any case, considering the area.
    I've seen them quite a few times in Allegheny and Garrett counties and the first thing I've always noticed is how long the legs look.

Maki

Jun 11, 2020
    Odenton
    We have family property in Odenton and have had a few bobcats on it for years.
    About 2 years ago, the coyotes moved in. Haven't seen the cats on the trail cams so don't know if they've just moved up to the cousins property or left completely.

Some Guy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 26, 2017
    My wife swears she saw something that looked like a panther in Damascus a couple of months ago. Black color, cat-like movement, and a low hanging but extended tail, and it didn't have the gate or appearance of a dog. She says she didn't think it was a black lab or other dog. She reports she saw it from about 100 yards away. I told her the MD Shooters brain trust might have ideas about this.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    My wife swears she saw something that looked like a panther in Damascus a couple of months ago. Black color, cat-like movement, and a low hanging but extended tail, and it didn't have the gate or appearance of a dog. She says she didn't think it was a black lab or other dog. She reports she saw it from about 100 yards away. I told her the MD Shooters brain trust might have ideas about this.
    There's not even a confirmed Mt Lion sighting on the east coast, let alone a panther. If there was one around people would be missing lots pets.

Some Guy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 26, 2017
    There's not even a confirmed Mt Lion sighting on the east coast, let alone a panther. If there was one around people would be missing lots pets.
    Then I think we're back to Chupacabra. You may not be so comfortable with this outcome as a goat driver, though. Better keep an eye on your ride, and an iron handy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom