• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    A novelty project I'm working on for an AR10 (DPMS pattern) doesn't have a gas system. Firing blanks. I pull the charging handle every time. Sometimes rounds are sticky and you really have to pull the charging handle hard to extract. I got to thinking: why not use a bolt action/straight pull/side charging upper? So far I've found:

* Bear Creek Arsenal BC-10. Pretty cheap even if I have to buy a complete upper. $250 (on sale) for a complete upper w/ bcg sounds like an unbeatable deal. I'll take off the parts I don't need and toss them in the spare parts drawer. Wish the charging handle was bigger but I'm sure I could mod it.

* Kali-Key. Its a ridiculously huge charging handle w/ no provision for a gas tube to make ARs commiefornia single-shot compliant. $110 for just the charging handle. Would still need to buy a cheap BCG for it. I went looking for a huge charging handle and, well, I found it.

Are there any other cheap options? This is just a toy so not looking to spend big bucks. I hadn't found the BC-10 until just today and it really seems like the bargain winner. Everything else I had found up to this point was really expensive.

In searching for a solution, all the bolt-action style uppers say to remove the bcg gas rings to make charging/extracting a little easier. I had never thought of that before. That would likely help my AR15 Can Cannon too which has the same style operation. Likely could use a good chamber polish too but thats getting off topic.

Coehorn

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2024
    Baltimore County
    If The Geriatric gets reelected, we'll all be converting our semi auto rifles to bolt action rifles.

If I were to do this, I'd mill a slot in the left side of the receiver and drill and tap the bolt carrier for a pull handle.

Following.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    If I go w/ the BC-10 I'll likely mod the bolt handle to be a big cylinder like the shotgun has (not my pic but just what I would want)
    Black-Cerekote-Charging-Handle-scaled.jpeg

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    If I go w/ the BC-10 I'll likely mod the bolt handle to be a big cylinder like the shotgun has (not my pic but just what I would want)
    Black-Cerekote-Charging-Handle-scaled.jpeg
    Any way you could beef up the threaded portion of the reciprocating side charger? I'm seeing, at some point, you may have to resort to "mortering" that bolt. It would require widening the slot in the receiver though.

Cool project.

Coehorn

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2024
    Baltimore County
    Any way you could beef up the threaded portion of the reciprocating side charger? I'm seeing, at some point, you may have to resort to "mortering" that bolt. It would require widening the slot in the receiver though.
    I'm no welder, but I'd go with a much larger diameter and have it welded/mig/tig in place.

Would probably anneal the BCG in that area though.

Thinking through this, welding a handle wouldn't work. No way to insert the BCG at the rear of the receiver.

Last edited:

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    I'm no welder, but I'd go with a much larger diameter and have it welded/mig/tig in place.

Would probably anneal the BCG in that area though.

Thinking through this, welding a handle wouldn't work. No way to insert the BCG at the rear of the receiver.
    That's always been the downfall of reciprocating chargers on ARs.

One easy(ish) fix would be to make a steel collar type washer that has the curvature of the bolt carrier at one end, and the other end(that snugs up to the charging knob) flat. The would remove any play between the charging knob and the bolt carrier. The downside to that is a very wide charging slot in the upper receiver.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Then there's the problem of locking the bolt during fire.
    You can still have the buffer and spring. So, the same way any normal AR holds the bolt closed. You can use the handle of a side charger as a forward assist.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I ordered the BC10. Found a 10% coupon that basically offset shipping. Will report on its functionality when it gets here.

Ordered some 'Magpul FDE' Duracote to try out (to match my Aero M5 lower.) I've sprayed black & grey cerakote before but figured I'd give duracote a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom